Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #31
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 782
Great report. Very nicely photographed and written.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #32
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Great report! I am watching this one!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #33
Sabaoth
Needs an Oil Change...

Oddometer: 3

Nothing in here about me... was I even on the trip? LOL I guess I'll have to do my own report... (after the fact of course) It'll be "Louisiana to Colorado in 9 days: A different Perspective." What do ya think?

-Patrick
Sabaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #34
wolvertone OP
Save a mile-Kill a metre!

Oddometer: 171
JUNE 24

Broke camp and tried to head to Crested Butte via a county road. Got 14 miles in and and a road closed sign. It was still worth it, as the ride and photo op was spectacular.

Took the road back to Aspen, took state 82 west to Carbondale, then state 133 South to county 12 east. State 133 was a really nice road.

I'm running out of adjectives for describing roads in Colorado. Basically, if you are in Colorado on a bike and you are west of I-25, you are on a good road.

I had read online that County 12 is a good road to take. It's a well maintained dirt road that is home to Kebler Pass. The problem with it, for us, was that we picked "Calcium-Chloride Spraying Day" to ride it. Apparently, when that elixir dries, the dirt becomes as hard as concrete. When wet, it's a slippery, slimy mess. We struggled big time for about 1/2 of county 12 nearly dropping the bikes several times.

After finally arriving in Crested Butte, we found a car wash and hosed the bikes and ourselves off.

Quick turkey sammich at the local cafe (no pic, I was beat), and we were off on state 135 south to Gunnison. There was a huge bicycle rally in Crested Butte and we passed hundreds of cyclists. Dang, those people are committed. I did get the feeling some of them were looking at us enviously.

Got on US24 west @ Gunnison over to State 149 South into Lake City.

From Lake City, we wanted to take a back road to Ouray. We found a back road that got worse and worse. Tight trail, rocky terrain, big potholes and the mud, wet slippery mud. I dropped my bike and ripped the side case off, and ripped the cover off the side case. A bungee cord secured it as we contemplated turning around. Then Patrick dropped his Goldwing. A group of ATV's came by and one guy said it got worse, and another guy said it got better. We figured this was an adventure, so wagons forward!!

By the way, if you haven't figured it out, or didn't know, we were on Cinnamon Pass. If you've been on it, enough said. If you haven't, read on.

We fought, and dropped the bikes a couple more times, not giving up. At one point, I heard Patrick drop the bike. I got to a safe spot and went back. His Goldwing was upside down, with oil puking out the breather case. We were tired, frustrated and mentally shot. I was going to get over this pass, even if it destroyed my bike. I was not going to let this hill beat me, and I wanted to remember this as a day of accomplishment, not one of regret.

Finally, we made it to the the top of the pass. What a view. It was a poignant moment for both of us. We knew we had accomplished something special. Especially since we talked to a guy who was towing an ATV out of there and he said that he had to come in and rescue a guy on a 350cc dirt bike.

Monkey was happy too!

The ride down the "road" was tricky, but much easier. Finally, 40 miles and 6 hours later, we arrived at Silverton. Ate at the Handlebars restaurant. VERY RECOMMENDED. We decided we deserved a hotel after Kebler Pass and Cinnamon Pass in the same day. Got the last room in town for $80, showered, and fell asleep.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1990 BMW K100LT (parting out)
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650

wolvertone screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 09:08 AM
wolvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #35
wolvertone OP

June 25

Got up early and decided to take US550 up to Ouray. I'm glad we did that, it was worth it. Got to Ouray, drove through town and headed back down US550to Durango. Like I said, any road west of I-25 and you are golden. US550 was no exception.

From durango, we headed west on US 160 to catch 4 corners. Tourist trap, I know, but whatever.

The temps in the sw corner of the state are not the same as up in the hills. It was getting hotter, but not unbearable like at home.

Got to 4 corners, got the shot, bought the souvenirs and we were off.

Headed back to Durango, and started seeing rain clouds. Stopped and geared up and in about two miles got in the rain. Made it another 5 miles and stopped at a gas station in Durango for dinner and shelter.

Decision time. Get a hotel (we'd rather camp and it was about 5pm) or wait the rain out, or drive in it. We waited for the rain to let up and decoded to get to the next town on the map. Danced around the rain a little bit and got a little wet, but pressed on to Pagosa Springs. Found a KOA and set up.

An older man was struggling to fix the jake brake on his truck. It was driving me nuts. Not that we was wrenching, but that I wasn't! It took me about 5 minutes before I finally went over there and was up to my elbows in wrenches and silicone spray. We got it freed up enough that he could copntinue to use it. His wife came out of thier house on wheels with a big bowl of fresh canteloupe as a thank you. You know, come to think of it, every neighbor we had at our various campsites were nice and friendly. Either we were really lucky, or there actually is such a thing as a happy camper.

Made coffee, smoked a cigar. Good day.

The new solo tents we bought were about to get rain tested as the rain we drove out of by heading east had caught up to us. They leaked at the seams. Patrick had a small tarp so was moderately OK. I didn't have a tarp and my brand new $$$ down filled sleeping bag was starting to get wet. Not wanting to smell like a moldy duck, I had another idea. Back at the check in, there was a porch swing under a canvas canopy. I grabbed my sleeping bag, walked up to the office, and slept on the swing outside. It was lightly raining, with some lightening and I had a big grin on my face. I was in Colorado, it was cold out and I was warm and dry. It was perfect.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650

wolvertone screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 09:04 AM
Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #36
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,536
Nice RR Steve!

That old K-Bike has certainly made quite the transforation from the days it called my driveway home.

I was at Mt. Evans and Pike's Peak only a few days after you! My trip up Mt. Evans wasn't nearly as nice though, the pics are fantastic!!! We had rain, 50mph wind and 35* temps on top of Mt. Evans on Friday the 26th! (but the poor bastards back in New Orleans had 100* temps!!!)

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #37
wolvertone OP

June 26

I don't think there are any pics of worth after Pagosa Springs.

We got up, broke camp, and headed east to the sand dunes. Too US160 east over to Alamosa and then to State 150 north. The sand dunes are pretty crazy. Here in all the mountains, there's a big freakin sand dune. It's tough to get perspective on them, until you get right up there and seethat the dots are actually people ("PEOPLE, THE DOTS ARE PEOPLE!!!!!! [in my best Charlton Heston voice]).

We had lunch there and headed back out to US160. Took it east and got caught in some rain around Fort Garland. Waited for a couple of hours and decided to get suited and out in it. Headed over Veta Pass, and then too State 12 south/south east over Cucharas Pass and into Starkville to again meet up with I-25. Sigh, it was really over at this point.

Got gas, put the lids back on, and headed out of Colorado into New Mexico. I am man enough that I got teary-eyed when I passed the "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" on the other side of I-25. IT's been 12 years since I've been here. Hopefully it won't be another 12...

Took I-25 to Raton, NM and hopped on US87 East to Clayton, NM. Founf the KOA and set up the tents. We covered our "Not very waterproof" tents with some tarps, and of course it never rained. Had dinner, made coffee, smoked a cigar and called it a night.

June 27
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, please. I'll do anything. Can I turn around and do the trip all over again,,,, and again?

Brutal, just brutal. 110 degrees coming across Texas. We stopped quite a few times for ice cream and water. The bikes were HOT. Patricks goldwing was literally boiling when we'd stop.

I think somewhere around Wichita Falls, we stopped for dinner. 5 pm and 105 degrees. WHAT THE CRAP???? We ate at a Cracker Barrel (home style cooking, for those who don't know). We took our time. Went back outside at 7pm. 101 DEGREES!!!!. You have got to be kidding me. Nothing against Texas, but dang, you guys have it hot. Even the deep south doesn't seem to get that bad.

Anyways, filled up and headed into Hawkins, TX where Allen was graciously opening up his home again for a comfy nights sleep. Like an oasis in the desert, it was a real relief when we pulled up in Allans drive way at 10:30. We would've been much earlier, but lost hours taking heat breaks.

Chatted with Allen about the trip. It was a great way to finish up the trip, seeing how 8 days ago we spent the night there before our journey. Patrick had kept a Colorado brew on ice the whole week, and delivered it to Allen still cold. Kind of a way of saying he was there with us.

JUNE 28
Got up and had coffee. Gassed up and headed east into Shreveport. I had to stay in Monroe for a couple of days for work starting Monday (it is now Sunday). So Patrick and I said our "See ya" at a gas station, and he headed down I-45 and I west further east on I-20 to Monroe.

When I got to Monroe, I went to the Shoney's. Breakfast buffet. Three plates of bacon and sausage covered in pancake syrup. Yum. I deserved it. The trip was over. It was, so far, the longest trip I've been on on a bike. It won't be the last. It won't be the longest. I was exhausted.

Pulled out the Atlas. Hmmmm,,,, Next year,,, next year....

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #38
captodport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Geat report

Man, I just now found your RR. I love your bike and the way you had it packed. I live in Shreveport and would have loved to meet ya. I want to do the same trip soon but the heat has kept me discouraged somewhat.

I gotta get off my "not worthy" ass and get out there. Thanks for the report and great pics too.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #39
wolvertone OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by captodport
Man, I just now found your RR. I love your bike and the way you had it packed. I live in Shreveport and would have loved to meet ya. I want to do the same trip soon but the heat has kept me discouraged somewhat.

I gotta get off my "not worthy" ass and get out there. Thanks for the report and great pics too.
Thanks. Get across Texas and you're golden.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650