Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
KLRlynuts OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
What Now - Nerd Needed.

Okay, this is really for all GPS users, but since I'm Centrally located, I'll start here. My Google Earth Plus account just expired. GE Plus is no more. If I understand correctly, the standard Google Earth does not support GPS overlays. Only Google Earth Pro does - at $400.00 a copy. My question is does any FFs have or know of a way to convert Garmin .mps files into Google .kml files. I thought I'd just throw this out there.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
OK - the regional forums are supposed to be for sharing tracks only. You should have posted this below in the general forum.

Garmin hasn't used .mps for years. The file extension is .gdb now. Is that what you meant?

What do you mean by "GPS overlays"? I only know a little about GE ( my ancient computer barely runs it) but I can open .gpx files in the standard GE fine. You can even just open a file in Mapsource and select "View in Google Earth" under the "View" menu.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
KLRlynuts OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
err . . .

Well,

Your hardware may be old, but apparently I've old software. My ol' Etrex Vista records files as .mps. Standard GE doesn't open directly from a GPS device, like the much loved GE Plus - I've had great success with that app.
So now I'm looking for a work-around for file compatiblity conversion.

Thnx.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
The GPS doesn't record files as anything, it's the Mapsource program on your computer that needs to be updated. However, you may only want to update to 6.13.7, especially if your computer is older. There's a long thread about this below, I don't have it located right now though.
There's a site where you can download the 6.13.7 version, or if you want to you can download the latest version from Garmin (both are free). This doesn't update your maps, just the Mapsource program. They are two different things.

I still have a few old .mps files saved on my computer. The new Mapsource will still open them.

Once you update Mapsource you can download your tracks/waypoints/etc from the GPS into Mapsource, then either "save as" .gpx and then open that file in Google Earth or just have it in Mapsource and do the "view in Google Earth" thing I mentioned above (you have to have GE installed on your computer of course).

You can also use the free GPSbabel program to convert to .gpx. maybe even .kml.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,885
tbird got this for you. Man, I can't even remember what version of MapSource saved it as .mps files. I think I've converted all mine to .gdb now also and they are up to about the 3rd version of gdb files.

As he said though, updating your MapSource is a free upgrade from Garmin. You'll just be updating the "gui" portion. I personally liked the change going past version 6.13.7, although it does run a tad slower, but its getting better each release.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote