User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,128
More from the road - Day 6

Ok... had a shower and some chow... so here we go....

Day 6 - "Whaaaat a Ride !!!"

Saturday, July 4 - Good Morning Mexican Hat !!! We had a great time riding in and around Mexican Hat the previous day and a great stay at the Hat Rock Inn... so its a little hard to leave.... BUT there are great roads ahead of us and time is a wastin'

After a homemade breakfast of bacon and eggs @ the "whatever you can think of store" next to our hotel... I took a little time to clean and lube the bikes chains and we were off !!!!

Saying goodbye to Mexican Hat, UT

Todays route included a climb up UT 261 (known as "Mokee Dugway") that had Princess a little more than anxious ... good thing it wasnt more than 10 minutes into the ride .. After the previous few days of riding I was sure she was up for it and she made it thru it like a pro

Princess takes the lead entering Mokee Dugway (Utah 261)

View of UT 261 from midway up Mokee Dugway

Almost to the top

The "Official" Salute from atop Mokee Dugway

Princess surveys her achiement atop the Mokee Dugway

After the climb up.. we continued north on UT261... which was a great road and nearly free of cars all the way up to UT95 were we headed east towards Monticello for a lunch break.

Heading East UT 95

Pit stop along UT 95

Lunch in Monticello, UT

Lunch @ Subway included a chance encounter with a fellow ADV Rider - "GTomic" who was on his way back home to Oregon. We of course talked about WeeStroms and great rides.... Nice to meet GTomic.

GTomic and his 60K Wee, Monticello, UT

Heading out of Monticello we did our best to outrun the first real rain we have seen the whole time (knock on wood)... 10 minutes down UT191 and we were in the clear alll the way to "Hole N' The Rock"

Out running the storm on the road to Moab, UT 191

Great hopping Toad it's HOLE N' THE ROCK!

Browsing the crap shops in "Hole N' The Rock" we came across something odd....Some strange things happen in life... "coincidence", "chance", "fate".... you decide..

What are the odds?

After a water and browsing break... we continued on to Moab. Our destination for the day. It was yet ANOTHER great day of riding and we are looking forward to exploring the Moab area tomorrow.....

One last pic for the day

Make your own caption....

more to come.....
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Day 7 & 8

Catching up a little...

Day 7 - "Moab - Extreme Dude !!!"

Sunday, July 5 - We arrived in Moab the previous evening, got some food.. watched the fireworks and settled in for the next days ride thru Arches NP.

After another free breakfast of stale bread products and cold eggs we headed out to Arches NP to do sightseeing and ride some of the "backroads". I was excited to ride thru Arches (not really sure why?) but actually after the previous days ride, dealing with the tourists and cagers in the park... was kind of a disapointment. Not too mention the SUPER heat and encountering one of the worst roads EVER. Washboard worse than I have ever encountered, BIG rocks, sand, ruts... you name it.... not really a good ride.

I can see how this might be a great place for the "true" off-road biker... or true off road bike.... but we really beat the hell out of our bikes and ourselves on a 12 miles (roundtrip) ride down the WORST ROAD EVER.

Princess taking on the washboard road to hell

Taking a break on the WORST ROAD EVER !! - Arches NP

A little pissed after the WORST ROAD EVER !!!

Ok, so enough about that road... wait.. one more...

Where we turned around on the WORST ROAD EVER !!! (not to scale)

Ok.. now im done...

anyway... the main road thru Arches wasnt too congested and we did our best to enjoy the park and the scenery.... here is some of what we saw..

Look closely for the ADV salute

Princess - Arches NP

Hiding from the sun

Toad will climb

So that was Arches.... wait... no... one more..

Wow look at that GIANT arch.... might be able to get the bikes thru it.....maybe ?

Ok... enough about Arches... lets move onto Moab...
Nice little town.. if ya dont mind the extreme EVERYTHING !!! Its kinda like a living Mountain Dew Commercial... we saw everything for the extreme adventurer... here's a few..

there were all kinda tours and rides and things you could rent to ride on... and ride in.... BUT.... by far the VERY best MOST EXTREME thing you can do in Moab is...

We ate some over priced Chinese food... and some overpriced pizza food... but all in all... it was a good day and a half... and I could see how a person could enjoy themselves in Moab... guess we really just got spoiled by the solitude and excellent riding in and around Mexican Hat.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Day 8 - "Do we really gotta ?!?!?!"

Monday, July 6 - today we turned and headed back east... thats a sign our journey is coming near its end . BUT... ALAS !!! Its not over just yet !!!

We headed back towards CO on UT 128 which turned out to be a GREAT ride...

But im tired.. or drunk .. or suffering from head trauma from that F'ING Bee that hit me in the head while riding thru Black Canyon NP earlier...so..

more to come........
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Day 8 - Continued

Day 8 - "Do we really gotta ?!?!?!"

Monday, July 6 - today we turned and headed back east... thats a sign our journey is coming near its end . BUT... ALAS !!! Its not over just yet !!!

We headed back towards CO on UT 128 which turned out to be a GREAT ride...

Heading out of Moab on UT128

Lots of Twistes on UT128

Road side at what was the Dewey Bridge - UT128

Dewey Bridge remnants - UT128

Dewey Bridge story can be found here -
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-dewey-bridge/

After a great ride up UT128 we hit the Superslab thru to Colorado Junction. We exited at US50 and headed Southeast back to Montrose, this time to explore the Black Canyon NP. The ride up to the park on CO347 to the South Rim was a good one. Once there the views were great.

Holy Black Canyon Batman !!!

Saying goodbye to Black Canyon NP

On the way out of Black Canyon, we were out running a serious storm all the way back to our hotel....

Princess heads into the menacing weather

it just keeps getting better !!!

I dont think were in Kansas anymore !!!!

Dinner - Montrose, CO

Day 8 ended back in Montrose were we ended Day 3.... way back when. The plan for Day 9 was to head back to Woodland Park were our Journey began. But some plans change..... this time for the better...

more to come....
Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Comm System?

Hi, Brian. Great ride report. Is that a helmet-to-helmet communication system on your helmets? If so, what make and model is it?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Fun Read

Enjoying your RR & the nice pics. Thx for taking me/us along.

Randy
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemezMtns
Hi, Brian. Great ride report. Is that a helmet-to-helmet communication system on your helmets? If so, what make and model is it?
Thanks.

Yep.. helmet to helmet.

They are Chatterbox GMRS X1 units.

Work great.. so long as you charge them all night... they last all day.

Only complaint is that you cannot really use the voice activated deal... even with full face helmets and the sensitivity adjuster... they just dont work well.... But its easy to get used to the "Push to Talk" feature.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Day 9 & 10

Day 9 - "To the moon and back"

Tuesday, July 7 - We were to head straight back to Woodland Park today, but realized there was at least 100 more rides we wanted to make. Sadly we could only choose one. But a great one it was!

Thanks to fellow ADVriders "Hayduke" & "Q500" for info on a route out of Montrose to Kebler Pass Road, we spent the day treking thru more back roads in Colorado.

Peach Valley Rd - North of Montrose, CO - Day 9

Princess on the moon - Peach Valley Rd

Peach Valley road took us almost all the way up to CO92 we headed east to CO133 to find Kebler Pass Road.

Checking the map alongside Paonia Res - CO133

We were told there would we would encounter alot of "tourists" this time of year... but our luck continued and we saw nearly no one.... A few riders, a cyclist or two and maybe 3 or 4 cars the entire 2 hours we spent riding and stopping along the 23 mile road.

Pics from Kebler Pass Road

Exiting Kebler Pass Road on the eastern side we ended up in Crested Butte. A very picturesqe town, but also a crowded town... we were to stop for lunch but with the crowds, we decided to head south to Gunnison.

Kebler pass road surface was in great shape and the route leading there was excellent... all in all it was a great way to spend a day.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Day 10 - "The long, short ride home" or "Our Journey Comes Full Circle"

Wednesday, July 8 - Today is to be our last ride thru CO. We again used US50 as our passage over the Continental Divide... this time coming from the West.

Hey guard rails !!! (US50)

Atop Monarch Pass

Heading back down Monarch Pass (US50)

Pikes Peak comes back into view as we near completion of our Journey

We arrived back in Woodland Park just in time to load up the bikes and get ready for the drive back to MI. The Bro was there to greet us and we told stories of the great ride.

~ Epilogue

We had originally planned a ride to Glacier NP this year. But plans changed and changed again... and probably again. In the end, neither Princess nor I could be happier with the ride we had thru Colorado & Utah (touching on NM and AZ as well).

Too many great roads to pick a favorite, but at least a few stand out at the moment.... Valley of the Gods, Mokee Dugway & Kebler Pass Road.... Met some great people and had one hell of a trip. Its gonna be hard to not make this an area we return to.....

Thanks to everyone who joined us, those who commented on our journey and to those that helped us find some great roads...

til next time -
Princess & The Toad
Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 563
Thumb

Thank You both for sharing your ride! I enjoyed it.
MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
ah man no lunch at Teocali Tamale or riding up to gothic when you were in Crested Butte. crowded or not that is the coolest town of your trip...you blew it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #26
BigFatHead
Outerspace Hillbilly

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
ah man no lunch at Teocali Tamale or riding up to gothic when you were in Crested Butte. crowded or not that is the coolest town of your trip...you blew it.

Huh?

Another great RR. I enjoyed reading it and it looks like a few other people did too. But YOU gotta be an Ahole and give YOUR opinion of what they did wrong... YOU sir "blew it". Ride more, post less.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #27
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 660
Cool ride, ya'll. Dam fine pics and report. Enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to post it up.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #28
KJUtah
Just Kill Me Now...

Oddometer: 14
Wink A little late.....

Little late posting this reply, but what the hell?
I am from Durango, and now live in UT, so I am very familiar with your route. It brings good memories to see some of those places immortalized in your RR.
Looks like you had a ton of fun, which I know you did.

Great job on a ride report if you ask me.
KJ
KJUtah is offline   Reply With Quote