ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #781
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrgreg
Sounds a lot like the demise of my new DR650 that was totaled in the rain a couple months ago. A barefoot, cell wielding teenager left turned into my wet path. I skidded, upright, into her rear bumper as the Pathfinder(irony) rolled across my lane. She never saw me(high beam on as always in day time)and didn't know what hit her as I foot chased her from the scene to her resting spot fifty yards away. Over the years I have known several Dual Sport bikes(KLR's) to hit the pavement on wet roads. Dual Sport tires are not worth a shit on wet streets! Be very cautious on wet streets, my friends. I was only mildly hurt and staying upright till impact probably made a huge difference. If i'd hook slid under the unguided vehicle, she'd have run over me and the bike.

G2

I rode from the Big Black Bridge all the way back to the reservoir in a heavy down pour yesterday. The T-63's never slipped, slid or missed a beat. And I was riding rather aggressive trying to out run the storm. Some of the back roads I was on had a lot of pavement irregularities and I was afraid they would cause me to slip a bit, but it never happened. I was rather surprised at how well they did...
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #782
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,494
Still got the XRL for now. Probably not long though. I figure once my leg is healed up enough to allow me to stand up on the pegs again, I'll probably get another ds. Maybe aDr650, maybe get an xr400 and put a street kit on it, or who knows what. Maybe even a killer..

Yah yah..ATGATT SHMATGATT! Just kidding, I know I should've geared up a bit, but hell, it was a 2 mile round trip ride, and I was too excited to think about gear
__________________
'71 BMW R75/5 | 09 GSA
FLICKR
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #783
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Nice looking bike, Wolfy!!! Needs some dust on it!!!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #784
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jackson, MS
Oddometer: 5,852
Rode the DRZ today to test out the adjustments to the suspension. Got up to 80ish with no headshake, so I guess it was a success. It's amazing what a half inch adjustment to the preload will do!

The great part is, I found a new off road riding area in Columbus. Miles of trails right under my nose along the Luxapalilla river, literally 1/4 mile from where I work. Very similar to what it was like riding along the Pearl river when it was legal. There is even an abandoned BMX track with some jumps. Ran into a father and his son riding dirt bikes and they showed me around the place. Thanks Aaron and Ivan

Sorry, no pictures. Maybe next time. Wolfy, once your leg is good to go, you'll have to ride over. I wanna see the XRL on a BMX track . It was... interesting on the DRZ.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #785
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone
Rode the DRZ today to test out the adjustments to the suspension. Got up to 80ish with no headshake, so I guess it was a success. It's amazing what a half inch adjustment to the preload will do!

The great part is, I found a new off road riding area in Columbus. Miles of trails right under my nose along the Luxapalilla river, literally 1/4 mile from where I work. Very similar to what it was like riding along the Pearl river when it was legal. There is even an abandoned BMX track with some jumps. Ran into a father and his son riding dirt bikes and they showed me around the place. Thanks Aaron and Ivan

Sorry, no pictures. Maybe next time. Wolfy, once your leg is good to go, you'll have to ride over. I wanna see the XRL on a BMX track . It was... interesting on the DRZ.
Well, how about you buy the Honda, and keep it at your house for me to ride
__________________
'71 BMW R75/5 | 09 GSA
FLICKR
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #786
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer
 
vfrgreg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR
I rode from the Big Black Bridge all the way back to the reservoir in a heavy down pour yesterday. The T-63's never slipped, slid or missed a beat. And I was riding rather aggressive trying to out run the storm. Some of the back roads I was on had a lot of pavement irregularities and I was afraid they would cause me to slip a bit, but it never happened. I was rather surprised at how well they did...
The T-66 is one of the good street tires. Not familiar with the T63.
Usually, things are fine, then your on the ground is the way it plays out. Not much warning with wet DS tires on curvy tarmac. I saw a fellow KLR go down in front of me on Church road out of Monticello in the wet. He was playing along fine then Bamm!

G2
__________________
G2
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #787
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
While I am not a traction expert (don't claim to be) I do have a lot of hands on experience sliding intentionally on pavement from track riding a 600 to the limit to slinging sideways on the motard. From my viewpoint the problem is as greg said dual sports simply do not offer a great deal of predictable traction on pavement. The tires offered for these bikes is at best only good enough riding straight up and down in dry conditions. An example in tire physics, my motard will slide everywhere on pavement in a very predictable manner. Loads of traction on the sidewall of the tires but here is the key. Those tires are designed to do that. Take it off-road and it's a matter of throttle control and self control or you will end up on your head. The DS tire is designed to get you by on two different surfaces, pavement or off-road. Neither of which it excells at. another thing with a dual sport tire on pavement verses the sticky street rubber on my motard is I get a warning on the sticky street rubber on pavement at full tilt boogie, a DS tire typically does not give a warning shot. I have busted my butt fairly simple on a DS tires on pavement and was always left thinking what the hell happened. The skinnny front tires on those DS don't help either where there really is not a lot of weight on a DS bike up front to begin with. It is best to respect a DS tire because they are evil in my opinion, just sayin.

T-63 appears to be similar to the old Pirelli MT-21 I used to use, ass buster on a pavement waiting to happen.
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #788
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Well this is a where did you ride thread? opps forgot how to do that....

No where on saturday!!

Sunday I did ride (wheelie) down hwy 18 yesterday on the motard and didn't get 6 miles from the house and the bottom fell out. Sucks with slicks on wet pavement I high tailed it back home and was wheeling down Big Ck. Rd. off Springridge rd. when I met a state trooper in a nice shiny SUV needless to say all ended well as I pulled the diappearing act he was out done by 35 hp damn they seem to be everywhere these days.........
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #789
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Good to see you and Greg agree on something for a change!! Does that mean the marriage is back on? ?

I've never ridden on street slicks or racing tires, but I have drug pegs around corners on my stock Dunflop KLR tires and the T-63's. I'm not saying they will hang corners like a street racing or motard tire, cause they were not made for that. But I am constantly impressed at how sticky they are on pavement and off road. For my riding style, they do both really well! YMMV...


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ
While I am not a traction expert (don't claim to be) I do have a lot of hands on experience sliding intentionally on pavement from track riding a 600 to the limit to slinging sideways on the motard. From my viewpoint the problem is as greg said dual sports simply do not offer a great deal of predictable traction on pavement. The tires offered for these bikes is at best only good enough riding straight up and down in dry conditions. An example in tire physics, my motard will slide everywhere on pavement in a very predictable manner. Loads of traction on the sidewall of the tires but here is the key. Those tires are designed to do that. Take it off-road and it's a matter of throttle control and self control or you will end up on your head. The DS tire is designed to get you by on two different surfaces, pavement or off-road. Neither of which it excells at. another thing with a dual sport tire on pavement verses the sticky street rubber on my motard is I get a warning on the sticky street rubber on pavement at full tilt boogie, a DS tire typically does not give a warning shot. I have busted my butt fairly simple on a DS tires on pavement and was always left thinking what the hell happened. The skinnny front tires on those DS don't help either where there really is not a lot of weight on a DS bike up front to begin with. It is best to respect a DS tire because they are evil in my opinion, just sayin.

T-63 appears to be similar to the old Pirelli MT-21 I used to use, ass buster on a pavement waiting to happen.
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #790
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,494
I imagine the type of bike comes in to play as well. The R75 handled like crap with knobbies, but I can drag pegs on some good street tires. My cornering with knobbies was wobbly at best!

Now the new bike.....well....I'm thinking a set of distanzias is in my future!
__________________
'71 BMW R75/5 | 09 GSA
FLICKR
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #791
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR
Good to see you and Greg agree on something for a change!! Does that mean the marriage is back on? ?
not sure I understand what you are saying
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #792
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer
 
backwoodsKLR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Central Mississippi
Oddometer: 9,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ
not sure I understand what you are saying
From the posts on here and the times I've been around y'all in person, I've never seen y'all agree on anything. Just commenting that it was nice to see y'all getting along again!!!

Guess it means there is hope for EBW and I to eventually agree on something!
__________________
2013 Tiger 800XC
Explore: Backwoods, MS
MS Tag-O-Rama Map / Jackson, MS Local Tag-O-Rama Map

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #793
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR
From the posts on here and the times I've been around y'all in person, I've never seen y'all agree on anything. Just commenting that it was nice to see y'all getting along again!!!

Guess it means there is hope for EBW and I to eventually agree on something!
We agree to disagree
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #794
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer
 
vfrgreg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 796
I was doing the same(out run the storm) just before the bitch came into sight. I then slowed to a moderate pace(totally in control and watching the vehicle). All the caution was taken from me in a split second and suddenly I was no longer the one in control. No cornering was involved. Just panic braking and bracing for impact. Was water skiing for about twenty yards.
With all that said, the others that I referred to were cornering on wet streets and had no warning that the tires were about to let go. I still ride in the wet, but with an extra level of caution.

Oh, I didn't ride all weekend. But, rode to work and back home today. Was nice and (cool) wet coming home!

G2
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR
I rode from the Big Black Bridge all the way back to the reservoir in a heavy down pour yesterday. The T-63's never slipped, slid or missed a beat. And I was riding rather aggressive trying to out run the storm. Some of the back roads I was on had a lot of pavement irregularities and I was afraid they would cause me to slip a bit, but it never happened. I was rather surprised at how well they did...
__________________
G2

vfrgreg screwed with this post 07-19-2010 at 04:33 PM
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #795
wolfy317
Addicted to BMW
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,494
While attending a cookout last night, Anti and I, being in a less than sober state, decided to ride today. It was a beautiful morning for a ride, but I must confess I was slightly hungover.....

We did manage to get out and ride though, so here are some shots. Anti led the way, but we ended up cruising around Alabama for the majority of the day. This was my first long ride back in the saddle, and after 250 miles.....I'm tired!

Starting at Anti's crib













Obligatory Lake shot:



And another one....





Down from the hills. Some nice riding too.



It's HOT out there..we had to stop for a water break.



Saw this nice Chevy across the street....






Anti trying out the R1150R



Definitely a beautifal day. Clouds almost looked fake.

__________________
'71 BMW R75/5 | 09 GSA
FLICKR
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015