Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #796
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ
not sure I understand what you are saying
From the posts on here and the times I've been around y'all in person, I've never seen y'all agree on anything. Just commenting that it was nice to see y'all getting along again!!!

Guess it means there is hope for EBW and I to eventually agree on something!
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #797
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR
From the posts on here and the times I've been around y'all in person, I've never seen y'all agree on anything. Just commenting that it was nice to see y'all getting along again!!!

Guess it means there is hope for EBW and I to eventually agree on something!
We agree to disagree
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #798
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I was doing the same(out run the storm) just before the bitch came into sight. I then slowed to a moderate pace(totally in control and watching the vehicle). All the caution was taken from me in a split second and suddenly I was no longer the one in control. No cornering was involved. Just panic braking and bracing for impact. Was water skiing for about twenty yards.
With all that said, the others that I referred to were cornering on wet streets and had no warning that the tires were about to let go. I still ride in the wet, but with an extra level of caution.

Oh, I didn't ride all weekend. But, rode to work and back home today. Was nice and (cool) wet coming home!

G2
Quote:
I rode from the Big Black Bridge all the way back to the reservoir in a heavy down pour yesterday. The T-63's never slipped, slid or missed a beat. And I was riding rather aggressive trying to out run the storm. Some of the back roads I was on had a lot of pavement irregularities and I was afraid they would cause me to slip a bit, but it never happened. I was rather surprised at how well they did...

R1200RT

vfrgreg screwed with this post 07-19-2010 at 04:33 PM
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #799
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,409
While attending a cookout last night, Anti and I, being in a less than sober state, decided to ride today. It was a beautiful morning for a ride, but I must confess I was slightly hungover.....

We did manage to get out and ride though, so here are some shots. Anti led the way, but we ended up cruising around Alabama for the majority of the day. This was my first long ride back in the saddle, and after 250 miles.....I'm tired!

Starting at Anti's crib

Obligatory Lake shot:

And another one....

Down from the hills. Some nice riding too.

It's HOT out there..we had to stop for a water break.

Saw this nice Chevy across the street....

Anti trying out the R1150R

Definitely a beautifal day. Clouds almost looked fake.

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #800
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,137
Wolfy pretty much summed it up. Hungover, hot, lots of dead ends, bad drivers... But you get far enough east and the roads become worth it.

That new bike is one sweet machine! Thanks for the ride. Glad you made it home alright, but then again, you only had about six stop signs to go through.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #801
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone
Wolfy pretty much summed it up. Hungover, hot, lots of dead ends, bad drivers... But you get far enough east and the roads become worth it.

That new bike is one sweet machine! Thanks for the ride. Glad you made it home alright, but then again, you only had about six stop signs to go through.

Jumped right through em too....

Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #802
Muley
MSadventurer

Oddometer: 178
Trere have been lots of monsoon related posts on several threads

Quote:
Good to see you and Greg agree on something for a change!! Does that mean the marriage is back on? ?

I've never ridden on street slicks or racing tires, but I have drug pegs around corners on my stock Dunflop KLR tires and the T-63's. I'm not saying they will hang corners like a street racing or motard tire, cause they were not made for that. But I am constantly impressed at how sticky they are on pavement and off road. For my riding style, they do both really well! YMMV...
There is little doubt that MS is having more and harder rains. I dealt with tropical deluged for nearly 2 years with trials tires and never had it take me down. I also saw lots of street bikes go down. A center groove isolated from other grooves is pretty bad, the tires that did the best had deep lateral or diagonal grooves that met or crossed the center of the tire. A friend with a BMW consistently went down til he put a new tire on the front that had grooves crossing the center. I could corner with him wet or dry in that environment under the prevailing road conditions. There wasn't a good road in the country. When conditions get worse, you will need deeper tread and good crossflow. Sorry for preaching but I saw too many rain related take on the forums to ignore it.
Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #803
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ
While I am not a traction expert (don't claim to be) I do have a lot of hands on experience sliding intentionally on pavement from track riding a 600 to the limit to slinging sideways on the motard. From my viewpoint the problem is as greg said dual sports simply do not offer a great deal of predictable traction on pavement. The tires offered for these bikes is at best only good enough riding straight up and down in dry conditions. An example in tire physics, my motard will slide everywhere on pavement in a very predictable manner. Loads of traction on the sidewall of the tires but here is the key. Those tires are designed to do that. Take it off-road and it's a matter of throttle control and self control or you will end up on your head. The DS tire is designed to get you by on two different surfaces, pavement or off-road. Neither of which it excells at. another thing with a dual sport tire on pavement verses the sticky street rubber on my motard is I get a warning on the sticky street rubber on pavement at full tilt boogie, a DS tire typically does not give a warning shot. I have busted my butt fairly simple on a DS tires on pavement and was always left thinking what the hell happened. The skinnny front tires on those DS don't help either where there really is not a lot of weight on a DS bike up front to begin with. It is best to respect a DS tire because they are evil in my opinion, just sayin.

T-63 appears to be similar to the old Pirelli MT-21 I used to use, ass buster on a pavement waiting to happen.
Both front and rear did that to me on the Dragon last Tuesday. But it was more my fault for running them at 20psi after coming off of forest roads. The Avon Gripster and Pirelli Scorpion both hook well at 30-32psi on the street, and after I aired back up they felt pretty sure footed while dragging the pegs.
The Scorpion feels good on gravel at 20psi. I'm anxious to see how your Motard does on gravel after what you told me about how well it does with the slicks.

I rode through some cool Rankin Co. back roads and gravel with my two sons today, Derrick and James.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #804
eeore39648
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider
Both front and rear did that to me on the Dragon last Tuesday. But it was more my fault for running them at 20psi after coming off of forest roads. The Avon Gripster and Pirelli Scorpion both hook well at 30-32psi on the street, and after I aired back up they felt pretty sure footed while dragging the pegs.
The Scorpion feels good on gravel at 20psi. I'm anxious to see how your Motard does on gravel after what you told me about how well it does with the slicks.

I rode through some cool Rankin Co. back roads and gravel with my two sons today, Derrick and James.
Thanks for the ride DAD!
Thanks for the help mounting the Kenda k761's. They have a good cross groove design, something that Muley mentioned.
They feel good on pavement! And about the same on gravel, as other tires. But, of course I dont ride that hard on gravel. Heck I don't ride hard at all!
eeore39648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #805
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,592
Riding with Miss Daisy Part II

Last year we did a family tour (sister, brother-in-law, brother, and me) that inculded riding from Mississippi (after my sister and b-i-l rode over from sw Florida) to OK, then parts of Rt 66 to the Grand Canyon, then Phoenix, and back home. It was a great ride even for my sister who was very inexperienced. She learned a great deal about riding and by the end of the trip we no longer called her Miss Daisy (to her face anyway).

So for the past year she's been planning our next epic trip that was supposed to include Sturgis. It fizzled out for many reasons so Cindy (sister) and John (b-i-l) decided to accompany their friends (Ken and Georgeanne) as far as MS and show them around the state then ride back to FL while Ken and George (for short) continued our original trip or their version of it.

I decided that I would ride around MS with them and planned several day trips from Vicksbrg to lead them around - didn't work either. With the weekend rains they arrived in MS Sunday in Columbus rather than Vicksburg. So early Monday morning I left to meet them in Mathiston for breakfast. The breakfast location seemed familar (Wolfy recently ate their). We went site seeing up the trace to Tupelo then west on Hwy 6 and spent the night in Oxford (a first for me). I even talked the place up and agreed to wear my MSU under armor shirt in public but after dinner we retired to the hotel lobby for iced tea and a spirited game of Mexican Train (I didn't see the campus or the recent tag location).

FZ1 couldn't park with 3 Harleys and a Vulcan. (not many photos since I wasn't the offical photographer - couldn't even get them to turn around - hopefully I'll get John's photos one day)

We continued westward to Clarksdale to show Ken and George the sites - went in the bad part of town and punted on seeing Ground Zero and the Shackup Inn and anything else. We continued on to Hwy 1 at Sherard. Ken and George headed north and west, and we went south down Hwy 1 to do the levees at Eagle Lake and to Vicksburg. Miss Daisy didn't really care for the levees in the wind and rain, but John loved it on the Road King.

Searching for a ladies rest room at Sherard. FZ1 was so out of place.

We had great plans for today (OPGR, Rodney Rd, ROW, maybe pick up a tag) but had to get the oil changed in Cindy's new Vulcan before her trip back to FL. We did ride down to Port Gibson and Lorman and got some fried chicken before making our way over to Terry to give them a head start on the trip back to FL.

Port Gibson.

Cindy and John at Lorman.

Not the most exciting trip, but we had a blast - SD or at least back westward next year. Good tune up ride for my sister and me.

tslaw screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 08:32 PM
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #806
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw
Last year we did a family tour (sister, brother-in-law, brother, and me) that inculded riding from Mississippi (after my sister and b-i-l rode over from sw Florida) to OK, then parts of Rt 66 to the Grand Canyon, then Phoenix, and back home. It was a great ride even for my sister who was very inexperienced. She learned a great deal about riding and by the end of the trip we no longer called her Miss Daisy (to her face anyway).

So for the past year she's been planning our next epic trip that was supposed to include Sturgis. It fizzled out for many reasons so Cindy (sister) and John (b-i-l) decided to accompany their friends (Ken and Georgeanne) as far as MS and show them around the state then ride back to FL while Ken and George (for short) continued our original trip or their version of it.

I decided that I would ride around MS with them and planned several day trips from Vicksbrg to lead them around - didn't work either. With the weekend rains they arrived in MS Sunday in Columbus rather than Vicksburg. So early Monday morning I left to meet them in Mathiston for breakfast. The breakfast location seemed familar (Wolfy recently ate their). We went site seeing up the trace to Tupelo then west on Hwy 6 and spent the night in Oxford (a first for me). I even talked the place up and agreed to wear my MSU under armor shirt in public but after dinner we retired to the hotel lobby for iced tea and a spirited game of Mexican Train (I didn't see the campus or the recent tag location).

FZ1 couldn't park with 3 Harleys and a Vulcan. (not many photos since I wasn't the offical photographer - couldn't even get them to turn around - hopefully I'll get John's photos one day)

We continued westward to Clarksdale to show Ken and George the sites - went in the bad part of town and punted on seeing Ground Zero and the Shackup Inn and anything else. We continued on to Hwy 1 at Sherard. Ken and George headed north and west, and we went south down Hwy 1 to do the levees at Eagle Lake and to Vicksburg. Miss Daisy didn't really care for the levees in the wind and rain, but John loved it on the Road King.

We had great plans for today (OPGR, Rodney Rd, ROW, maybe pick up a tag) but had to get the oil changed in Cindy's new Vulcan before her trip back to FL. We did ride down to Port Gibson and Lorman and got some fried chicken before making our way over to Terry to give them a head start on the trip back to FL.

Port Gibson.

Not the most exciting trip, but we had a blast - SD or at least back westward next year. Good tune up ride for my sister and me.
I'm glad you get to have motorcycle experiences with family. I guess you are healed up now huh? Ready for some dirt rides?

PS I love some Mexican Train, also Crows feet is pretty good too. We always play Dominoes at my wife's family gatherings on holidays. So much better than staring at a TV.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #807
tslaw
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatalotapeaches
I'm glad you get to have motorcycle experiences with family. I guess you are healed up now huh? Ready for some dirt rides?

PS I love some Mexican Train, also Crows feet is pretty good too. We always play Dominoes at my wife's family gatherings on holidays. So much better than staring at a TV.
Mostly recovered but maybe not quite ready for much dirt - been thinking about the Mississippi Hill Country ride this fall though if we had some slow gentle Adv riders around here.

This ride was a small step back that left me feeling a little disappointed in that it was supposed to be a 3 week adventure. We even had the perfect tour guides lined up in Ken and George - they ride out West all the time and have even gone to Alaska multiple times. Eventhough I know this was exactly what I needed, the fellowship during and after each day's ride really brought back the memories of our 2009 Grand Canyon trip, my Sturgis/Colorado trip in 2005 with other friends, and several shorter trips to Barber, Road Atlanta, and VIR with my brother and friends. Group trips are magical even for someone that normally travels alone.

The games, especially those that only require minimal thinking (set your stratagy and react as it plays out) and allow distractions like conversation, are perfect for family get togethers. I'd never played Mexican Train before but had a blast while catching up with my sister and brother-in-law and learning about Ken and George who I felt like were old friends eventhough I met them for the first time at breakfast the first morning - good group dynamics through dominos (wonder if Trophy knows about this).
Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #808
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Quote:
Mostly recovered but maybe not quite ready for much dirt - been thinking about the Mississippi Hill Country ride this fall though if we had some slow gentle Adv riders around here.

This ride was a small step back that left me feeling a little disappointed in that it was supposed to be a 3 week adventure. We even had the perfect tour guides lined up in Ken and George - they ride out West all the time and have even gone to Alaska multiple times. Eventhough I know this was exactly what I needed, the fellowship during and after each day's ride really brought back the memories of our 2009 Grand Canyon trip, my Sturgis/Colorado trip in 2005 with other friends, and several shorter trips to Barber, Road Atlanta, and VIR with my brother and friends. Group trips are magical even for someone that normally travels alone.

The games, especially those that only require minimal thinking (set your stratagy and react as it plays out) and allow distractions like conversation, are perfect for family get togethers. I'd never played Mexican Train before but had a blast while catching up with my sister and brother-in-law and learning about Ken and George who I felt like were old friends eventhough I met them for the first time at breakfast the first morning - good group dynamics through dominos (wonder if Trophy knows about this).
We play mexican train and trash train at some of our family gatherings too. Good fun. We'll have to have a ride to play night one weekend.

Sounds like a good time Tslaw, some of my favorite memories are Long rides with my Mom and Dad. I remember going to Missouri for with them for my first long distance ride. It was the Hillbilly beemer rally.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #809
tslaw
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317
We play mexican train and trash train at some of our family gatherings too. Good fun. We'll have to have a ride to play night one weekend.

Sounds like a good time Tslaw, some of my favorite memories are Long rides with my Mom and Dad. I remember going to Missouri for with them for my first long distance ride. It was the Hillbilly beemer rally.
Sounds like fun. I never thought my sister would take to motorcycle riding, and be so much fun to ride with. She brings a new level of enjoyment to riding that you just don't get with a group of guys. None of my riding buddies would plan games for night time activities on trips - kinda makes you feel like you're still at home growing up. Unfortunately, she also plans meal stops so we tend to eat better and more often than I normally would. It's hard to lose weight riding with her. She got very excited when we went to the Old Country Store - she knew all about it from Feasting on Asphalt.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #810
Muley
MSadventurer

Oddometer: 178
I was glad to see that you'd missed the rain.

It came a heav rain shortly after y'all left the Bike Shop. Looks like y'all had a great time.
Quote:

Port Gibson.

Muley is offline   Reply With Quote