User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,781
Three weeks in Peru

Wife and I have decided to spend three weeks in Peru two of which will be on a motorcycle.
I'm having trouble with the notebook and video camera so I'll leave the video editing until I get home.
Flew from Brisbane to Auckland to Santiago, over night then Lima to Cusco.
I'll never bag someone for claiming jet lag again, slept 10hrs in 72 and then the altitude in Cusco was all I needed.
Anyway after some recovery we walked around town a bit (our hotel is out of the tourist area)and payed the balance on the bike. A Honda XL700 transalp I originally booked a KLR650 but that was needed for a long term rental so I got a free upgrade.
This guy had amazing flutes and whistles some using water to move air

and seems Peruvians love a parade as we found out

the next day we picked up the bike and stopped at the bank in the Plaza de arms only to get stuck there because a parade started while I was at the atm

Note the brand new touratech luggage
any way after about an hour of this we finally got underway for Ollantaytambo via Pisac
II'll come back to this in a sec having trouble uploading

gavo screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 04:14 PM
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,852
Enjoy! We were there in 2012 and loved the place.

Attempted a return trip in 2013 but I had severe problems with the altitude (no problems in 2012) to the point that we cut our 3 week trip short by 16 days.

What areas are you planning to visit?

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
stuie
Whip n' Ride

Oddometer: 68
Curious where you picked up your bike...I'm heading down shortly and have not confirmed where to get my bike....anything you can share?

Stuie
Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie View Post
Curious where you picked up your bike...I'm heading down shortly and have not confirmed where to get my bike....anything you can share?

Stuie
Got the bike from peru motors.com in Cusco arranged it online, Alejandro luna castro owns the business but he has a canadian girl there who is brilliant but I can't remember her name ,she'll hate me for that
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Enjoy! We were there in 2012 and loved the place.

Attempted a return trip in 2013 but I had severe problems with the altitude (no problems in 2012) to the point that we cut our 3 week trip short by 16 days.

What areas are you planning to visit?
Ollyantaytambo,Puno and Arequipa. we like to spend some time in one area and do day trips from a base.
There's so much to see you have to bite the bullet and say see a small area well rather than alarge area sparsley, god I could spend 6 months here
Old 10-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
gavo OP
Slacker

The ride out of Cusco was good just ride straight up the road where the bike shop is, Peruvian towns (the bigger ones) seem to have a lot of one way streets which the GPS doesn't know.
A shot over Cusco as we are leaving

And a random road shot on the way to Pisaq our first stop.

The little town of Pisaq

And some ruins and valley shots near Pisaq

Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 728
It's great to see a Sacred Valley ride report

The flights, time zone changes and altitude must have required some adjustment

I rented from Alex Luna / Peru Moto Tours in 2012 and really enjoyed the experience

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Keep it coming mate
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
gavo OP
Slacker

Well I finally got the spyware bug out of my notebook and it runs soooo much better.Unforunately my helmet cam is still dead
Anyway, after Pisaq, back on the road to Ollyantaytambo,
Some points to learn when riding here,
1 They're on the opposite side of the road (for me) from home,only one small incident.
2 Get used to oncoming traffic using your side of the road whether you're there or not.I've seen more than one car pull off the road because of trucks.
3 Speed humps on the highway WTF. big ones that slow you down to15kph or risk bouncing the wife off the back , most have warning signs before them, some don't, most are painted yellow, some aren't.
4 speed limits, no overtaking signs and double yellow lines are to be ignored.
So I adapted
So we arrive in Ollyantaytambo and Google maps ain't that accurate and I ended going up this lane

I found an american who's local friend pointed me in the right direction
Next day it's off to the ruins

Your's truly

See what appears to be apartments in the middle od the far hill, that's where I climbed to in the afternoon

Great plumbing

And the view from the far side

Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
krl
semi noob

Oddometer: 124
Sacred Valley = great place to explore on a bike

So lets get this straight......your learning to drive on the wrong side of the road.......your walking up mountains instead of riding.........and your doing this report in real time?? I applaud your efforts!!

Drive careful......my first lesson when riding in Peru was "NEVER stop for pedestrians as the guy behind you is not expecting you to stop.
krl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
gavo OP
Slacker

So after 2 nights in Ollantaytambo it was on the road again back through Pisaq and to Sicuani
Stop for a coke

And the Neighbor

I will have some road footage which I'll edit and post when home as the video camera was still working at this time.
A random road pic

The GPS was in the bag as I couldn't find a suitable mounting point so we were just following town names we'd written down off the map
Mistake,A little confusion with towns starting with the letter H lead us to take a turn over this bridge

Up into the mountains we head higher and higher

great views

Some rock slides and very little traffic, rapidly falling temp I'm thinking something is wrong, out with the map we goofed turn around back down the mountain back over that bridge the wife walked it this time and back on the right road to Sicuani And I'll have to thank Charapa an inmate here for putting us on to this one
http://www.anunciaenlinea.com/centro...uani_srl_88211
a good place to stay

I'm not Quite writing this in real time about 8 days behind and yesterday the 20th was a crappy day , more about that later.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
gavo OP
Slacker

The ride to Puno was fairly uneventful if you can call spectacular scenery uneventful. Although When we got to Juliaca we got lost as the gps was still in the pannier, we just had to follow the traffic on the highway through town well there were huge road works just into town and the traffic just seemed to disappear so I started to follow this work truck, you see lots on the highway, I thought he was going through so after much traffic and many twists and turns--- he parks wtf so we blunder on to find the cause of the chaos was a wedding, we rode through it and took what looked like a main road in right? direction but it petered out.So park out with the notebook(mapsource)and the gps get co ordinates off gps find us in mapsource and find a way ouyt of backblock juliaca. I found the town to be a bit of a shithole
then on the hway to Puno.

A few random road shots

The cause of the chaos

And coming into and our first glimpse of Lake Titicaca

And the church at Plaza De Arms Puno
Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
gavo OP
Slacker

Some pic's around Puno day1
the foreshore of lake Titicaca

At a market on the street, lot's of different kinds of Potato's

Local vendor

And I've seen some very arresting women in uniform

and these a some pc's and vid's of a parade in the plaza de arms, I don't know what the occasion was but a large number of the marchers were in the health care field and some were very serious about their marching

Old 10-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
SimonUK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Fantastic!

What a change from when I was there 25 years ago. No Sedero Luminoso by the looks of it which is no bad thing. Roads...didnt have them in the late 80's. It was all mud tracks. Hiring bikes? No chance back then, only a pony or you walked. Still as colourful though, both the scenery and the people.

Didn't spot any roast guinea pigs. Has the cuisine gone all upmarket?

I picked up a hideous foot condition on Amantani or Taquile, the islands at Lake Titicaca and a botfly larva in my arm. Still got the bloody foot thing but got rid of the botfly problem when it started wriggling around in my arm some months later.

Did you get to Saksaywamen?

SimonUK screwed with this post 10-24-2014 at 01:33 PM
SimonUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
gavo OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonUK View Post
Fantastic!

What a change from when I was there 25 years ago. No Sedero Luminoso by the looks of it which is no bad thing. Roads...didnt have them in the late 80's. It was all mud tracks. Hiring bikes? No chance back then, only a pony or you walked. Still as colourful though, both the scenery and the people.

Didn't spot any roast guinea pigs. Has the cuisine gone all upmarket?

I picked up a hideous foot condition on Amantani or Taquile, the islands at Lake Titicaca and a botfly larva in my arm. Still got the bloody foot thing but got rid of the botfly problem when it started wriggling around in my arm four months later.

Did you get to Saksaywamen?
No didn't get to Saksaywamen,and haven't tried the Guinea pig although it's freely available, tried some alpca, it was fine but had a stomach bug the last three days