Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Wonder if there are any fancy road side photographers at Tuggle's Gap so we can see some pics of you leanin er over :)
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
What's wrong with a dirt bike on the Dragon?

I was up there a week ago. Did it with 606's. Let me know and I can tell you some good trails. By random luck I met up with some klrworld.com guys having a ride out. Perfect - led around by the locals. Have a safe trip.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
TBItoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I'll be on the Tail and the Skyway this Friday on my RR
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
There's a strong sense of danger here. Happens anytime you get near a Dragon's lair. No time for chit chat....I'm straight to the hunt. And just like that, I catch my first glimpse of her tail:

I quietly pull over to the side, careful not to disturbed this sleeping dragon, and watch for any signs of movement. Its eerily quiet. So much so, I just ease R into a stealth dead engine roll in neutral. I want a peak around that bend.

She's definitely a dragon with very well defined features. Check out those alternating high bank angles. They get even steeper further down, but no room to pull over for a photo there (because the banks are so steep).

I've seen enough. Time to take her by surprise. Especially since I haven't seen any other hunters, yet!

She's short, but very good. I can't believe I forgot to clock the mileage. Maybe one mile, or two. But Tuggles Gap has some of the highest bank angles I've seen. And the spacing is very close on some. You come out of one turn only to immediately thrust into the opposite angle. It produced a new sensation for me. I'm used to all the flat hairpins and zig-zags. It was very nice to "ride the banks".

I turned around at the bottom and road back up to the top. That direction seemed more fun to me....always does. The vertical angle (top to bottom) is really quite steep. More than any others I've seen.

So, you get high bank curves combined with a steep incline all the way through. Consequently, I'll rate Tuggles Gap "One Thumb Up". Its not a big enough Dragon to be a destination. But if you're anywhere near Floyd, VA, you definitely want to hunt this dragon down.

Here's another shot from the top. I finally got some traffic. It really helps show the bank angles. These were the final turns on top, and not nearly as banked, as the curves in the middle section. Even still....don't they look good?

HF

p.s.
No photographers....but also, little to no traffic! Which would you rather have?

HighFive screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 10:44 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

After returning to the top, I decide to take a much deserved break and get a bite to eat. Noticed some spies had showed up. So, I squeezed R in amongst these Harleys. Ain't she purdy!

I ask the nice lady "what's your specialty"? She replies, in very Virginia-esk, "Mexican Food". Looked like a burger & beer joint to me...with hardware and auto parts to boot. Now, being from the Real Southwest, I'm immediately having justifiable doubts about Mexican Food in the Northeast. But, then she closes the deals (she's good) by telling me she makes everything herself from scratch...even the tortillas. A few minutes later, she proudly delivers this fine plate of real tacos:

Como Say Dee-say...."MUY GRANDE MUCHO Bueno Bueno Bueno"....or something like that. It was the real deal. Tuggles Gap just earned another notch on my stick. Its has GREAT food! The kind that makes you want to go there in a bad way!

After the super good (and cheap) lunch, I go slay the Dragon a few more times. Ok, more like 16 times....but who's counting? I do so, because I can. I don't have any plans otherwise. Then, I finally head out to investigate that old cabin a little closer.

Might make a decent campsite (indoors). It didn't. But, I clearly notice the possibly faint impression of an old road going up the hill behind the cabin. Doesn't look used in the last 25 or 50 years (+/-). Suddenly....I've got a feeling. Krabill knows all about "HF feelings". So, I take a run at it. Just bushwhacking through all the overgrowth. Somebody really needs to clean this road up a little (ok...a lot). Its steep! Even steeper than Malibu Dan's bald spot. About a quarter mile up there above the cabin, I pull the reins for a rest on the first, and only, flat spot.

Walked over to the edge for a looksee and WHOA....Ho-Chi-Momma!! It was a sheer drop-off, maybe 200 ft. down!!!

I go have a little sit-down and self-talk session. Hhhmmm.....nobody knows where I am. Nobody has been up this hill in maybe 100 years (+/-). And, did I mention it was steep? This is the point I realize the disadvantage of flying Solo. Such a bummer! I decide to turn around and go back....a wild sliding ride, to say the least. The ground was like 1000 years (+/-) of pure leaf mulch. I purposely DIDN'T take a photo over the side, because I knew somebody would say it didn't look very steep...

I bid farewell to the cabin and set my compass Northward. I hear there is a Bent Mountain up that way, and even some kind of Blue Ridge. Now, I've been in the woods a long time. I've never seen a Blue Ridge before. Sounds like a PLAN.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-23-2009 at 06:35 AM
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #21
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

I know I've said it already, but just have to say it again: Pick ANY road you want in the Virginia mountains and you'll NEVER be disappointed. There were lots of remote intersections like this.

There's 6 or 7 different directions you can go. Its sometimes hard to tell exactly which way the road sign is pointing. But, since I didn't really care, it was nice & easy for me. At this particular intersection, I stopped to admire an Auction Sign...and pondered following that arrow to check out the available Real Estate. Thoughts of moving here permanently are trying to form a plan in my head. I finish a drink from a gatorade bottle and think, what the heck....put it on the ground and give it a spin.

Interesting....the only dirt road of the bunch. Here's a nice shot of what's known as "The Krabill View":

After about 15 miles on this road, R starts getting a little fussy. So, we take a Timeout to have a little discussion. The kind about "who's in charge". She's insistent we passed a better option than this current road just back a ways. Ok...ok...we'll go have another peak at it. Don't get your springs all wound up over it.

****Special Timeout Note**** I must apologize and retract a statement. I should never have claimed I was flying Solo. Don't want R to get her feelings hurt. She's probably got an Internet connection somewhere amongst all her sophisticated technology.

Of course, she was right. I'll vow to never doubt her again for the duration of this trip. Remember this point. It will become important later when we get to Deals Gap.

Here it is:

This two track ran about 3/4 of a mile and then popped us out of the woods directly across the street from this:

We held a long moment of silence. I wiped a tear from my eye and gave R the biggest hug ever! Obviously, we now have a new PLAN. And it went something like this:

For the rest of the day!

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-23-2009 at 06:39 AM
Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #22
booty0
Booger eater

Oddometer: 174

Old 06-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
Treedguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
Enjoying the trip!

The best plan, is no plan.
Treedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #24
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
After returning to the top, I decide to take a much deserved break and get a bite to eat. Noticed some spies had showed up. So, I squeezed R in amongst these Harleys. Ain't she purdy!

Umm . . . HF . . . I hate to be the one to break it to you . . . but those aren't Harely's. I see a couple BMW's and a Honda

Carry on . . .
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #25
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Wow ... now I know what all the fuss is about ... I get it now!
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
TBItoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Wow ... now I know what all the fuss is about ... I get it now!
And that's not even the "real" dragon's tail. That's Tuggle's Gap
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Very Cool, thanks for sharing. Very Very Cool. About convinced that the WR250R needs to be then next bike in the stable.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Umm . . . HF . . . I hate to be the one to break it to you . . . but those aren't Harely's. I see a couple BMW's and a Honda

Carry on . . .

Pigs....Hogs, same difference. None of them can keep up with R.

As you say, let's Carry On:

That Blue Ridge actually looked pretty green to me. But, let's not quibble over details. It was gorgeous. Very secluded. No entries or exit points for miles on end. There weren't many "lookout points" either. That's where you've got to pull over. They've cut away the foliage for you to have a looksee.

I leave the Parkway and play Deal or No Deal, this time. Decide to pick a road based on a Name I like. They really have fabulous street names out here in Virginia. Like Moss Cave Hollow, Rocky Top Rd, and my choice this evening:

Honestly, who could resist this one?

Check out these road surfaces!

I finally quit worry about getting run over, and just parked the bike in the middle of the road for every photo!

I now had a plan to find a campsite. I'm packing extremely minimal for this evening. The bare basics. So, I'm looking for something quasi setup. I soon have a lead from a Campground sign (they are everywhere). It takes me deep into the Backwoods many miles. Just about the time I think I must have missed something a long way back....success:

Someone sure mowed a lot of grass.....just for me. Chopped wood, too!

Look at the size of that fire pit. The grill was equally big.

Nice "facilities" too, even with a fireplace! Suddenly, I'm thinking ADV Rally...

And, there is a wonderful stream flowing directly behind me in those trees. Even wiith steps to go down there:

Most peaceful night of sleep I can remember in long time. Just me, R. And the running water. Plus some big bears, I'm sure. But I learned a thing or two about handling bears near my Bivy Sack during my previous excursion.

I'll admit...I am troubled by one thing. Where are the people? Its a Friday night in the summertime....just a week or so ahead of 4th of July celebration. Haven't seen a soul since I turned down Backwoods Lane. Well, they sure do name their roads well.

Enough pavement. Tomorrow, its time to get DIRTY!

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-23-2009 at 08:04 PM
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #29
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,838
Just found this report. I'm considering moving to this area so I'll be following with great interest.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #30
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,497

Hey, HF. Turns out I'm in town this week after all. Something about multi-million dollar sales project being more important than a boondoggle to Chi-town. Give me a holler if you're bored in east TN.
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote