Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #76
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
This town just isn't working....I'm on the road. Gonna have to move to another place. Maybe more of this at lunch time, or so. Sorry folks.

But a few responses:

1) Regarding the Sportbikes, don't get me wrong. I don't condone high speed racing on public roads. Don't think I mentioned anything about admiring that. I was only commenting on the sound and feeling of having them pass me so closely as they whipped thru this mountain top. They were the only other people I saw during the hour I spent on this road. Just something that happened....documented....and shared. That's all.

2) Regarding the waterfall, I'm sure I would have just rode right up it if the Krabill had been with me holding a dip net below. However, as it was, I had to take the "Alternate Route". Which got even more interesting....more like amazing! You're hardly going to believe what happens next. Standby...

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #77
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Ok...finally got somewhere with a decent connection. Gonna try to finish up this Ride Report this evening. I need to back up a second. I've been thinking about Gramps comment some more, while driving homeward. He's dead right! I shouldn't make racing on a public road appear glamorous in any way. Didn't mean to.

Regardless of how good a rider is, anyone can still behave like a Squid when they go out onto public roads, and do something stupid like that. Maybe those two riders were only going 80 - 90 mph. I really don't know. Things always seem "faster" when you're in such close proximity. Anyway, thanks Gramps, for helping clarify this point so nicely. Its been a LONG trip for me....

HF
Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #78
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by photojojo
Try Irfanview for photo resizing. It's free.
Bummer...its not for Mac.

I've been trying to figure this "Gimp" out. If anyone is a pro on Gimp, please send me a PM. I need some pointers for using it on a Mac. The drag & drops into the resizing window don't seem to accomplish anything.

HF

p.s. Again, I apologize for all the downloading time for these pages due to photo sizes. Thought I had it licked.

HF
Old 06-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #79
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Now....let's get back to the Waterfall. Our Superhero was last seen soaking his toes right here:

Seriously, there wasn't anyway to cross this waterfall without my Trials bike. And even that, might be perilous as the rocks were pretty slippery and the water was gushing quite fast. It did make beautiful music, so I sat back a while to enjoy the symphony.

The trail I was on turned and continued downhill along the creek. It was pretty rocky, but nothing I couldn't handle. Finally turned into more open woods, and the riding got real fun. It started looking like this:

The path before me:

The world behind me:

Well....it kind of looked like a trail. Use your imagination. I sure did, because anything was better than backtracking through the Amazon!

A little further along (ok...maybe a lot), I hear a dog barking. So, I go in that direction wondering what I might find. Hopefully a ROAD to get out of this royal mess I've gotten myself into. And, what happens next, probably changed my future. You might call it fate. I prefer to call it a Divine Appointment.

I stumble upon a faint single lane (old) road with fresh tire tracks. Turn and follow it toward the barking dog, and meet these fine ladies:

Meet Polly Griffin, and her two daughters. One is obviously out of photo. Polly is 83 years old. She has advanced Dementia (maybe bad spelling?). Its like Alzheimers, but mostly affects your immediate short-term memory. They took a photo of me with Corky (what a coincidence...eh Dan?):

He's a real fine Lab. Miss Polly wants to see the photo. I stand up and show it to her....while she asks me, "who's that with Corky?" So, now you undestand the situation. I do. I just buried my Grandmother last December. Looked after her the last few years of her life. She had Dementia. So, I'm uniquely familiar with this situation. Why does all this matter to a Ride Report? Just hang in here with me a minute....I promise its good!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #80
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

While R² takes a much deserved rest over here:

I chat with the two daughters. Their mother used to live in a cabin right here, many many years ago. I check my GPS....we're at 4,500 ft. elevation.
How did they get up here? Mule and wagon, they reply!

They have brought the Mother to the old cabin one last time before she passes away....in hopes it would joggle her long term memory. But unfortunately, it had not. They were just about to leave when I came from....well literally...out of nowhere (the woods)!

I start talking with Miss Polly, and I ask her to tell me some stories about her cabin. She looks me straight in the eyes and seems to focus. Smiles and takes my hand. Then, leads me down this path....just the two of us.

And over the next long while, all of us sit around this old fire pit while Miss Polly fills our heads of stories long ago. The daughters are speechless, overwhelmed with tears of joy.

Miss Polly tells me to have a look around....make myself at home. And feel welcome to come back anytime...bring some friends! What am I doing out here all alone...anyway? Its a Long Story, I assure her. But, they need to take Miss Polly back down the mountain. Its time to go.

In my short explanation of my "Long Story", I mention that I came Dragon Hunting. Miss Polly's eyes grow really bright and big. She looks me square in the face and says, "A Dragon lives right here in these woods!"

My eyes get beady....my palms start feeling sweaty....where is this Dragon you speak of? But we lose Miss Polly. She drifts away in her mind again. However, the daughters seem to know exactly what she is talking about. So, away we go. R² and I are DRAGON HUNTING again!

HF
Old 06-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #81
Dr. Zombo
ADV Brewer

Oddometer: 193

This is freaking awesome HF!
=======================
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDACT
When our tires would wear into the steel belts we'd refer to the little wires sticking out as 'Traction Spurs'
Dr. Zombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #82
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Incredible, love the stories of who you meet when traveling.

Maybe you need a SPOT HF to let people know where you are :)

Regarding your camera angle issue we have a whole thread about it somewhere on my local club's forum the simplest advice is you want to keep the camera level as possible in order to show the hill. So its much easier to shoot uphill than down. Also objects that show scale help

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173012

Here ya go its partly an ADV rider thread started by one of the local club guys (San Diego Adventure Riders)

Jaynen screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 04:36 PM
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #83
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 191
More! Please.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #84
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,189
That's a pretty sweet find up in the mountains. People never cease to amaze.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #85
photojojo
This space for rent!

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Bummer...its not for Mac.

I've been trying to figure this "Gimp" out. If anyone is a pro on Gimp, please send me a PM. I need some pointers for using it on a Mac. The drag & drops into the resizing window don't seem to accomplish anything.

HF

p.s. Again, I apologize for all the downloading time for these pages due to photo sizes. Thought I had it licked.

HF
That's funny, I took out the part about get a mac and use iPhoto because I didn't want to turn it into one of those threads. Are you using iPhoto? Have you tried the export straight to smugmug plugin? If I was on the road I would set my paramaters to export to smugmug at no more than 600p wide. That way they upload fast and I can get on with writing my trip report which woud be done off line with text edit. Then I would paste the whole thing including picture tags all at once into the forum post. Once you get a connection it's apple v, press submit and your done.

It's not taking long to download anything on my end with a basic high speed connection.
photojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #86
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Sorry, didn't mean those two. Skidmark was probably left by someone in over their head trying to ride those roads like those two. I think it gets old with people using those roads as their own personal race track. I felt it myself on the Dragon. After a few "laps" I started to view the road as a race track. I didn't like it and moved on.
I was down at The Dragon a few weeks ago... in my cage. Lots of fast sport bikes down there, but also lots of really slow riders going below the speed limit. That doesn't make for a good combination, especially when you throw a few sports cars, mini-vans, trucks, and SUV's in the mix. The good news is that they are paving most (or all) of the pull-offs, that way the slower riders/drivers can now safely pull off and not feel pressured by those that want to go at a little more rapid pace. I've ridden/driven the place enough times that I learned where I could pull off, wait a few minutes, then start again and not get behind any slow pokes. But the best way to avoid all that is to show up early in the morning or later in the evening on a weekday...the place is practically empty, and thats when its the most fun. You can go at your own pace and have a blast.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #87
NCredneck
Banned

Oddometer: 353
Eek don't move here folks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Just found this report. I'm considering moving to this area so I'll be following with great interest.
Nothing to see here people, we are all backwoods, sleep with our cousins and carry guns, nothing to see here, no good places to ride, it's awful!! I've lived here my whole life and hate it !! Just keep on going to Florida or something,or Texas!!
NCredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #88
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,451

Okay. I'm sitting in a diner with my family, they're amusing themselves without me; so I sneak on here to see if HF has posted some more. Well, I read about Ms. Polly, and I start tearing up (bright light shining in the window)--so now I'm reading the RR to my family in the restaurant...
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #89
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
good man HF

I sure that was an emotional experience for ALL involved!!!

Life is an adventure.....
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #90
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

So, Ms. Polly, her daughters, & Corky lead me down the mountain along some gorgeous secluded roads with tight hairpins.

Traffic was a bit light today....up in these woods. There's nobody here! My kind of place. After a few miles, they roll to a stop and signal me to be quiet. I turn Rē off and roll up along side in neutral. Even Corky, in the back of the truck, is totally silent and staring off into the woods where she is pointing. It takes me a minute to focus then I can't believe my eyes.

Right up in these woods is a cave. And the Dragon is down in it, but has his head laying outside....resting on that slope. Maybe he's grown to big to fit in there all at once. I don't know for sure. Look closer and you'll see it.

You can see his snout laying there. See the tips of his nostrils. You can just make out the edge of an eye on the top left side. Right here:

And, for the 2nd time today, Miss Polly's mind engages. She perks up and starts pointing and hollering at the Dragon. Starts telling us stories of when she was much younger. One which I'd classify as "Too Much Information". Then, she says, "Go in there and get him!"

I slowly creep closer. Its an uneasy feeling. Try to peek into this Dragon's Lair....

Nothing doing....I'm riding Solo.....I need my favorite Wingman before I go cave exploring.

When I come back, they're gone! My friends have moved on. So, I'm all alone again. Time to move on. But I don't leave these woods empty handed. I possess something I did not have when I came. Its a small piece of paper with the phone number to the owner of this hidden Cabin.

This, my friends, is "Camp Highfive":

And one year from now, if I can work out the details, I'll be holding a very special event right here:

More to come....

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 09:27 PM