Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Consolidating Active Log(s) on long trips

I just finished a four day trip through Death Valley and was disappointed to get home and see my first two days were not there on the Zumo 550; probably due to Active Log rolling over. I was camping so it wasn't practical to bring a laptop to download during the trip.

In the future is there a way for instance at the end of every day to save the Active log(s) for that day out as a GPX route or to the SD card via the 550 w/o a computer so that I don't lose the legs of a long trip due to rollover?

Thanks!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Set the interval between tracks longer. Or carry a laptop with mapsource.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,708
Not a Zumo guy, but I'm pretty sure it archives them on the card
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
The Zumo auto archives active logs when they reach about 10K points. You can also display the active log on the screen. The Zumo saves 20 archive logs of 10K a piece. So that is 21 logs total or about 2 months of riding for me every day - depending on terrain, speed etc.

If you feel inclined every evening you can also save/convert trip log segments from the active log file.

Tools - User Data - Manage Trip Log - Save as route.....then pick the segment that you want to save.

The Zumo is one of the best at recording tours. The Zumo auto decides when to mark a point. More for corners - changes of speed. If you are going straigt and steady it will mark every mile or so but you could have 5 breadcrumbs in a corner.

Fun to play with the tracks and see what you actually did etc. Profile the elevations gains, speed etc.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
The Zumo auto archives active logs when they reach about 10K points. You can also display the active log on the screen. The Zumo saves 20 archive logs of 10K a piece. So that is 21 logs total or about 2 months of riding for me every day - depending on terrain, speed etc.
>>>
The Zumo is one of the best at recording tours. The Zumo auto decides when to mark a point. More for corners - changes of speed. If you are going straigt and steady it will mark every mile or so but you could have 5 breadcrumbs in a corner.
The trip was a five day trip (correction from opening post) that covered 1069 miles with about 200 of it off road through Death Valley and a lot of it as well through twisties in the mountain ranges we crossed. If the Zumo marks turns more than straights I'd say we had our fair share of both. I had played with Active logs in the past and in-fact had used some of my Active Logs from a previous trip to build my route(s) for this trip.

I cleared the Zumo logs prior to the trip and was very surprised to find that of the five trip days only the last three remained / downloaded when I got home. My assumption is/was that when it ran out of space it simply wrote over the logs from the start of the trip. It would have been nice to have all my altitude data etc..

Taking a laptop camping is not really of interest to me as much as I love computers and tech stuff so it sounds like the best thing to do is save the day as a route at the end of every day.

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

All of your missing data is one of the archive logs I was talking about above....really. You just have to look for them.

Hook your Zumo to a PC and look in the directory: Garmin/GPX/archive

They are numbered 1.gpx, 2.gpx, 3gpx etc. Load these files into mapsource to see your tracks. Combine with the active logs which download with the buttons in Mapsource and you will have all your tour logs.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
All of your missing data is one of the archive logs I was talking about above....really. You just have to look for them...
Really great to know this:

Except stupid a$$ me cleared the Garmin when it didn't work the other day the way I thought it would...

Live and learn and thanks for the lesson!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

You are welcome.

I combine all planned routes, waypoints, actual tracks and new waypoints added during the trip in a master tour/trip file for the next repeat engagement. I learn something new about my Zumo almost every tour. drives me crazy!

Zumoforums.com has good info too.