ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Ebay fly and drive 2000 MILES !!!!

Hi,I need advise,any and all.On July 4th Myself and my 13 year old nephew are flying to Fort Hood TX.Actually Austin an hour away.
I thought this would be a good bonding experience for us both.

So I won the auction and bought the tickets from Burlington VT. to Austin TX. Then took a look at google maps and this is what they show as I guess the most direct shot.They state less than TWO days ! More like two weeks

No backing out now but take a look at the map and let me know if there are places I should stop and check out. I haven't been to a lot of these states.

will take lots of pictures and speaking of pictures here's the first from Google.

__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way
 
eatalotapeaches's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Jackson, Miss'ippi
Oddometer: 1,462
Have you looked at the weather for the south lately? Austin says 104 tommorrow and Mississippi says 98 (with a heat index of 105). My advise is get up early to beat the sun. Take breaks often and hydrate hydrate hydrate.

The Natchez Trace goes from south Mississippi to Nashville. It's not on your direct route, but have you been to Barber Motorsports, the Smokies, Blue Ridge Parkway?
__________________
If you wish to travel far & fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!
 
ooweel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: ShoeMashVille
Oddometer: 790
OR better yet?

Congrats! Fun deal to ADV on a fly in ride out!

Hope you did your homework before you got to this point?
I have done the fly in ride out on bikes and its WAY COOL! The reason I bring this up is you're gonna not only have you on the bike but you're gonna have your 13 yo Nephew? Sure hope he is ATGATT as with you and this is not his very first outing on a bike with you? Another issue is the bike ready for a jump and go? I always tell the seller to take it to a dealer nearby and I personally call and tell the dealer to evaluate the bike for the ride I am going to do with it. This is just a suggestion and you may have all ready done something along this line to make this Adventure a safe and memorable one for both of you.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Ya,that's what got me nervous all that heat !

I looked today and over 100 all week
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Banjoland
Oddometer: 1,895
I'd recommend exploring northwest AR a bit as you pass through. I'd skip Memphis and come up through southern Mo.
__________________
Sandy Jackson
04 250 RFS

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel
Congrats! Fun deal to ADV on a fly in ride out!

Hope you did your homework before you got to this point?
I have done the fly in ride out on bikes and its WAY COOL! The reason I bring this up is you're gonna not only have you on the bike but you're gonna have your 13 yo Nephew? Sure hope he is ATGATT as with you and this is not his very first outing on a bike with you? Another issue is the bike ready for a jump and go? I always tell the seller to take it to a dealer nearby and I personally call and tell the dealer to evaluate the bike for the ride I am going to do with it. This is just a suggestion and you may have all ready done something along this line to make this Adventure a safe and memorable one for both of you.
My nephew would rather sit home I'm sure,but that's the idea.

He doesn't even know yet,soon he will.

He's been out for a day on the back of my Aprilia once.He rides dirt bikes.
His dad ,my brother passed away last September, hence the bonding.
He lives with me as I'm his guardian.
The bike has been serviced in Germany before the owner brought it back to the states.Two new tires,the owner is a doctor in the service.He just bought a new 1098
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin

iceman screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 10:29 AM
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel
Congrats! Fun deal to ADV on a fly in ride out!

Hope you did your homework before you got to this point?
I have done the fly in ride out on bikes and its WAY COOL! The reason I bring this up is you're gonna not only have you on the bike but you're gonna have your 13 yo Nephew? Sure hope he is ATGATT as with you and this is not his very first outing on a bike with you? Another issue is the bike ready for a jump and go? I always tell the seller to take it to a dealer nearby and I personally call and tell the dealer to evaluate the bike for the ride I am going to do with it. This is just a suggestion and you may have all ready done something along this line to make this Adventure a safe and memorable one for both of you.
This is the start of my homework.Still have almost two weeks.
I usually wear leather but I can see mesh in my near future,very near future.
I'm getting Chadd some better gear also...
Driving directions to Fort Hood, Texas
1,887 mi
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin

iceman screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 10:30 AM
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan
I'd recommend exploring northwest AR a bit as you pass through. I'd skip Memphis and come up through southern Mo.
I would if it was in the fall,seems like almost too hot to sleep outside.

I guess Chadd and I will find out a little bit about ourselves.

We will have to improvise a lot I think.
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,324
I would not do it with a passenger. Sorry, that's just me.

There is no reason to stop or see any part of Memphis.

I would go straight north and get a little NW AR then go straight east and get a little smokies. I would then head north through W VA, E KY & all of WV. Then get a little W PA & W NY before getting home.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I would not do it with a passenger. Sorry, that's just me.

There is no reason to stop or see any part of Memphis.

I would go straight north and get a little NW AR then go straight east and get a little smokies. I would then head north through W VA, E KY & all of WV. Then get a little W PA & W NY before getting home.
Really,that's the only reason I set it up was for my nephew.It would have been a lot cheaper to have it shipped to Vermont but I wanted to do something with Chadd that he could remember for the rest of his life.

After this he may never ride again !! Well maybe next week it will be cooler and cloudy I hope.
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,324
2,000 miles can be tough on anyone. A passenger on a "fly and ride bike" might be worse. Heck even a 2,000 road trip in a car can be tough on the parties involved.

I would attempt this only if he had done several day trips with me, some of them a little longer than his comfort zone. After that I would try a 3 day weekend ride, again pushing his comfort zone.

Some people like 800 mile days, some people like 200 mile days. If he gets pissed/bored/upset/mad in the backseat of a car, no big deal, on a bike? Yikes. Again this is why I suggest pushing his limits on shorter rides. You can always talk a tired and cranky passenger into a few more hours, but how about a few more days? You really need to see how he will react when he has had enough.


How about flying him into a town about 2/3 of the way home? You will have had time to get use to the new bike and shake it down for any problems and his portion will be much more managable. Just a thought.

I do not mean to be rude, but our ideas of bonding experiances often turn out to be nightmares for the other people. You do not want him thinking you are the Clark Griswold of motorcycles do you?

Best of luck,

Scott
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
2,000 miles can be tough on anyone. A passenger on a "fly and ride bike" might be worse. Heck even a 2,000 road trip in a car can be tough on the parties involved.

I would attempt this only if he had done several day trips with me, some of them a little longer than his comfort zone. After that I would try a 3 day weekend ride, again pushing his comfort zone.

Some people like 800 mile days, some people like 200 mile days. If he gets pissed/bored/upset/mad in the backseat of a car, no big deal, on a bike? Yikes. Again this is why I suggest pushing his limits on shorter rides. You can always talk a tired and cranky passenger into a few more hours, but how about a few more days? You really need to see how he will react when he has had enough.


How about flying him into a town about 2/3 of the way home? You will have had time to get use to the new bike and shake it down for any problems and his portion will be much more managable. Just a thought.

I do not mean to be rude, but our ideas of bonding experiances often turn out to be nightmares for the other people. You do not want him thinking you are the Clark Griswold of motorcycles do you?

Best of luck,

Scott
Thanks Scott,I know what you mean.
I could just throw his ticket away and get the bike myself,but like I said this was for him and now that I have watched the weather for a while it's not looking like the most fun part of my summer either but like I said I already have the tickets and no real turning around now.If we take it slow 300/400 mile days and stay at air conditioned hotels we should be fine..I hope
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 945
Scott,I was thinking of doing a 2/3 day trip couple hundred mile trip camp out before we leave and see how he responds to that.
__________________
It is good to have an end to journey towards,but it is the journey that matters in the end. K Le Guin
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yankee Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Decatur, AL
Oddometer: 1,921
dont be silly. bring him along. After all, adventure is adversity in retrospect.

As to the route. Slide East and pick up the Natchez Trace in Natchez, MS. Once you reach Nashville, slide East again to Tellico Plains, TN. Pick up the Cherohalo Skyway, then the Blueridge and then Skyline Drive. Then due North to upstate New York and over to home. Or do the tourist thing and stop off in DC to tour the museums and monuments.

Opportunities for long trips like this do no come along every day. Make the most of it.

Yankee Dog
__________________
2005 Ural
2005 BMW F650GS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800xc
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dragonflylily's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 303
Iceman, I wish someone asked me to do that when I was 13.

I'd be concerned about the bike being up & ready. Other than that my 11 year old daughter does 400+ mile days with me. Tell him to bring his Ipod & do everything you can to keep him cool. My daughter complains when it's over 80 degrees so if you can pick up some mesh for him you'll both be happier. If he likes bikes & this bike is up to par it's going to be a fantastic memory maker.

Good for you stepping in for your brother, he'll be looking out for you from up above.

If you need to stop around our area (I-88) your welcome to. You can jump in our pond to cool off!
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014