Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
dont be silly. bring him along. After all, adventure is adversity in retrospect.

As to the route. Slide East and pick up the Natchez Trace in Natchez, MS. Once you reach Nashville, slide East again to Tellico Plains, TN. Pick up the Cherohalo Skyway, then the Blueridge and then Skyline Drive. Then due North to upstate New York and over to home. Or do the tourist thing and stop off in DC to tour the museums and monuments.

Opportunities for long trips like this do no come along every day. Make the most of it.

Yankee Dog
Thanks,I'm a lot older than 13 but when I was I remember it being a turning point in my life.
The red sox were in the world series and I went to EXPO 67 in Montreal the worlds fair.
So I know it can be an impressionable time in the life a a young boy slowly turning into a man.Thankfully only a hundred pounds so not much weight.
Here he is today with his dirt bike and he has agreed to a couple of days in southern Vermont soon.Still doesn't know the BIG plans.He's very reluctant to have pictures taken and today I told him when he gets older he will be very happy he has them to share with his friends.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflylily
Iceman, I wish someone asked me to do that when I was 13.

I'd be concerned about the bike being up & ready. Other than that my 11 year old daughter does 400+ mile days with me. Tell him to bring his Ipod & do everything you can to keep him cool. My daughter complains when it's over 80 degrees so if you can pick up some mesh for him you'll both be happier. If he likes bikes & this bike is up to par it's going to be a fantastic memory maker.

Good for you stepping in for your brother, he'll be looking out for you from up above.

If you need to stop around our area (I-88) your welcome to. You can jump in our pond to cool off!
Dragonfly,thanks for the response.The bike is the only one in the USA which kind of drew me to it.I have also been up on it since new.The owner told me even in Germany people would ask "what kind of bike is that"even though it was a German bike.Luckily it has optional Touratech bags but after that it's pretty NAKED but the small screen it has is supposed to be great ! The bike has an adapter for plug in stuff.So I'll have a Zune with 800 songs and Chadd will have an Ipod.

Half of me thinks my brother is rooting me on and because Chadd was daddy's boy the other half I can hear my brother saying "what the hell are you doing"
It really sucks to loose your younger brother at the age of 45.

At some point I will explain to Chadd that it is our memorial ride for his dad.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
There is no reason to stop or see any part of Memphis.

I would go straight north and get a little NW AR then go straight east and get a little smokies. I would then head north through W VA, E KY & all of WV. Then get a little W PA & W NY before getting home.
Scott and I both live in Memphis and we both agree. Not much good motorcycling around here unfortunately. Close to lots of good stuff, and Scott's suggestion of NW Arkansas is a good one. Eatalotapeaches recommended the Natchez Trace, another good idea.

Interestingly, changing your route to "Avoid Highways" on Google Maps send you right up the Natchez Parkway. http://tinyurl.com/nzd9fo

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Scott and I both live in Memphis and we both agree. Not much good motorcycling around here unfortunately. Close to lots of good stuff, and Scott's suggestion of NW Arkansas is a good one. Eatalotapeaches recommended the Natchez Trace, another good idea.

Interestingly, changing your route to "Avoid Highways" on Google Maps send you right up the Natchez Parkway. http://tinyurl.com/nzd9fo

Jamie
Thanks for the link Jamie.i think that would be a great little detour. :-) New map and all !! Thanks very much.http://www.nps.gov/natr/

iceman screwed with this post 06-24-2009 at 05:02 PM
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #20
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

It was so hot here today I did online research under a shade tree at the lake.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Hey Iceman, Chadd is going to love this adventure in twenty years even if it's sweltering hot, miserable & he's bored at times. Those are the best adv's when it comes time to tell a story later on in life. If all goes well there's not much to talk about. At 13 he's old enough to remember it all so this is perfect.

Chadd at 21 yrs old, "When I was 13 my Uncle bought a one of a kind bike from Germany & we flew down to pick it up, it was so cool because we drove it back home & this is what happened......". Take photographs for later on, he'll refer back to the trip often during his life.

If you go through the Adirondacks you can pick up 10 which enables you to see some nice country but my favorite are the Amish. I've always had the good luck of seeing there horse & buggies on route to Long Lake. We'd ride with you part of it if it works out.
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Iceman, Chadd is going to love this adventure in twenty years even if it's sweltering hot, miserable & he's bored at times. Those are the best adv's when it comes time to tell a story later on in life. If all goes well there's not much to talk about. At 13 he's old enough to remember it all so this is perfect.

Chadd at 21 yrs old, "When I was 13 my Uncle bought a one of a kind bike from Germany & we flew down to pick it up, it was so cool because we drove it back home & this is what happened......". Take photographs for later on, he'll refer back to the trip often during his life.

If you go through the Adirondacks you can pick up 10 which enables you to see some nice country but my favorite are the Amish. I've always had the good luck of seeing there horse & buggies on route to Long Lake. We'd ride with you part of it if it works out.
Thanks Dragon,I just took a look at his gear and it wasn't the best and he has grown so much since last summer that I just ordered him a mesh jacket and gloves and also pants.I also got REAL gloves for myself.

I use to live just outside Rochester for a couple of years back in 98 and 99.
I lived out in the country a small town called Scottsville,I liked it a lot up there.I relocated for work MCI and rented my house out here in Vermont.

Here is what I ordered from New Enough they have god prices.

The funny thing is Chadd use to ride on the back of his dad's Harley,Electra Glide and my brother would ride with shorts and a t-shirt and would look at me like I was crazy. Here is a picture of my brother/Chadd's dad.
You can see how much bigger Chadd has grown.This was last summer.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Stay away from Dallas traffic and try to get yourself into Arkansas as opposed as your map heading south east.

Take your time its warm out here
MESH! and MESH! And MESH along if you can get it a cooling vest about $30 each.
Best of Luck he will have fun just take it easy and adv him to holler when he wants a break.

Watch your speed in Texas every little town or county cop has different colored cars. Some old some new (with led siren lights that look like a roof rack).

If driving in the evening critters on the road both alive and dead along with bugs...........
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoytia
Stay away from Dallas traffic and try to get yourself into Arkansas as opposed as your map heading south east.

Take your time its warm out here
MESH! and MESH! And MESH along if you can get it a cooling vest about $30 each.
Best of Luck he will have fun just take it easy and adv him to holler when he wants a break.

Watch your speed in Texas every little town or county cop has different colored cars. Some old some new (with led siren lights that look like a roof rack).

If driving in the evening critters on the road both alive and dead along with bugs...........
Thanks for the tip,so this newer map that Jamie provided looks like the right one as it goes east before Dallas and takes us to 400 miles of nice roads.
Naches something or other,I googled it and it looked like a huge state park.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Just found this core cooler but only youth size $10 from Six Six One

I have some of their gear and they make some nice stuff,I have a pressure suite that is full of protection.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...3-8545986dc7bd
Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #26
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
Thanks for the link Jamie.i think that would be a great little detour.
FWIW, the Natchez Trace is a very sedate route. I think the speed limit on most of it is 45, and from what I've heard, that is strictly enforced.

Every couple of miles along the entire length there is some sort of pull-off. There are historical markers galore. If you do decide to take the boy, the Natchez Trace is a good place to start. Lots of opportunities to stop for breaks, though none of those stops have soda or candy.

I like the historical aspect. I don't like the speed limit and the endless parade of RVs and Harley riders. Oh, wait.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #27
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I checked out that core cooler, sounds good & the price is right. I'm going to think about getting one for my daughter. Scan Craigslist's for mesh gear because yesterday I bought a brand new textile jacket for my daughter for $30, full armour, good deal.

Have you told Chadd yet?

Curiosity is killing me, talk about the bike.....
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #28
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,104
I can't agree with the "nay-sayers". I think it's fantastic that you've taken your nephew into your life and are going to do this with him! Good for you! I agree, 13 is a turning point and this will be wonderful for both of you. He'll have memories of being out with his Dad on a bike, and will build a bridge to the future by being there with YOU on a bike. I say fantastic, go for it!

We've had heat and humidity here in Virginia but it's certainly manageable if you take precautions. Get going early, then maybe think about staying at a motel with a swimming pool; stop in the afternoon before it gets brutal (usually hottest at about 4:00 PM), soak in the pool to cool off, eat, sleep, early up again. I have camped at high temps and humidity and it isn't any fun at all, plus do you want to try and haul all manner of gear with you on this trip? Yuck. Keep it simple, keep it fun.

I'm a recent transplant to Virginia from Wyoming and learned very quickly to stay the hell off the interstate highways out here! I'd guesstimate the traffic is 60% tractor-trailer rigs, but if you get off on the secondaries they are much less common. Most of the secondaries have tree canopies over them and thus are significantly cooler since they are shaded for much of the day. The Blue Ridge Parkway is gorgeous and much cooler because it's much higher elevation, very little traffic, but the route is circuitous and slow (45 mph).

It is so wonderful to hear stories about good people; we get so inundated with the crappy side of life from the daily news. Take care and I think this will indeed be a trip of a lifetime!

Doug
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #29
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I checked out that core cooler, sounds good & the price is right. I'm going to think about getting one for my daughter. Scan Craigslist's for mesh gear because yesterday I bought a brand new textile jacket for my daughter for $30, full armour, good deal.

Have you told Chadd yet?

Curiosity is killing me, talk about the bike.....
Hi Dragon,no still haven't told Chadd.I'm going to take him about two hrs.south near Killington for a couple days probably tomorrow and Sunday.

I ordered that gear from New Enough and it came to $250 but that's for gloves,jacket,and pants for him and gloves for myself.

Here is a picture of the bike

iceman screwed with this post 06-26-2009 at 08:35 AM
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #30
iceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
I can't agree with the "nay-sayers". I think it's fantastic that you've taken your nephew into your life and are going to do this with him! Good for you! I agree, 13 is a turning point and this will be wonderful for both of you. He'll have memories of being out with his Dad on a bike, and will build a bridge to the future by being there with YOU on a bike. I say fantastic, go for it!

We've had heat and humidity here in Virginia but it's certainly manageable if you take precautions. Get going early, then maybe think about staying at a motel with a swimming pool; stop in the afternoon before it gets brutal (usually hottest at about 4:00 PM), soak in the pool to cool off, eat, sleep, early up again. I have camped at high temps and humidity and it isn't any fun at all, plus do you want to try and haul all manner of gear with you on this trip? Yuck. Keep it simple, keep it fun.

I'm a recent transplant to Virginia from Wyoming and learned very quickly to stay the hell off the interstate highways out here! I'd guesstimate the traffic is 60% tractor-trailer rigs, but if you get off on the secondaries they are much less common. Most of the secondaries have tree canopies over them and thus are significantly cooler since they are shaded for much of the day. The Blue Ridge Parkway is gorgeous and much cooler because it's much higher elevation, very little traffic, but the route is circuitous and slow (45 mph).

It is so wonderful to hear stories about good people; we get so inundated with the crappy side of life from the daily news. Take care and I think this will indeed be a trip of a lifetime!

Doug
Thanks Doug,I actually called Jetblue yesterday just to ask what I already knew $100 change fee per ticket $200 on tickets that I paid $320 for both.
So we are going and gona do as you describe.

I found a picture with the touratech bags on in blue but these are the bags.They will help but we won't have to carry lots of stuff,famous last words going to try and keep it minimum. 2005 MZ 1000 SF