ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Trail Ryder OP
Your Hero
 
Trail Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Tax Hell
Oddometer: 1,012
2010 Suzuki RMX 450 Z

2010 RMX 450 Z



Quote:
2010 Suzuki RMX450Z

Heart of a champion, a taste for adventure.

2010 Suzuki RMX450Z

Racing improves the breed; Suzuki has proven that time and time again. Now it’s time to rewrite the rules for the serious off-road rider. Introducing the 2010 Suzuki RMX450Z.

Descended from the Championship winning RM-Z450, the first motocross bike to offer high-performance Suzuki fuel injection, the RMX450Z is a serious off-road bike for serious trail riders. Its powerful and torquey 449cm3, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine shares all core technology with Suzuki’s winning open-class motocrosser. Its frame, suspension and bodywork are all nearly identical to the RM-Z450’s—maintaining that model’s slim, aggressive styling. Only changes to make the RMX450Z a superior trail machine have been made—maximum performance – no compromises.

That’s like taking your hard-core motocross machine out onto the trail.

Only better. Much better.

Fuel Injection
Suzuki pioneered fuel injection for motocrossers, and the RMX450Z shares all key technologies with the stunning RM-Z450. Fuel injection improves fuel efficiency, throttle response and reduces emissions, allowing the RMX450Z to be “green sticker” eligible in the state of California. On every trail in the world, the RMX450Z’s fuel injection provides unmatched smoothness of power delivery and trail-ready reliability thanks to a KEIHIN throttle body with progressive linkage. This advanced fuel injection system also eliminates the need for re-jetting at higher elevations. To best suit the RMX450Z to life on the trail, the airbox features a hinged lid for quick air-filter maintenance and better protection from dust. Suzuki’s vast experience with motorcycle fuel injection both on and off-road help make this among the best systems available.

Electric Start
The trail is no place to wear yourself out kick-starting a bike, so the RMX450Z comes with an electric starter, energized by a compact battery centrally located to reduce its influence on weight distribution and balance of the bike. To charge the battery and power the RMX450Z’s lights, a larger magneto-generator is fitted. It’s a win-win situation.

Engine & Transmission
Suzuki has made minimal modifications to the all-conquering RM-Z450’s potent four-valve, DOHC engine for the RMX450Z. This lightweight engine now features a modified inlet tract along with revised cam profiles to increase low and mid-rpm power. Wider gear ratios in the 5-speed constant-mesh transmission that work with revised primary and final-drive ratios are ideally suited for a broad range of conditions, from scaling steep trails to high-speed open-terrain riding.

The addition of a coolant reservoir tank increases on-trail reliability, while a relocated filler cap improves access. Because the trail can be a rocky place, a new engine protector plate is fitted. No stone was left unturned.

State of the Art Chassis
Suzuki’s light and effective aluminum alloy twin-spar frame construction is used in the RMX450Z, employing both cast and extruded sections for the utmost benefits of both: low weight, high rigidity, and high durability. The RMX450Z’s aluminum alloy swingarm is derived from the RM-Z450’s to maintain ideal balance, while the rear suspension linkage benefits from reduced free play. Its geometry combines the RM series’ renowned turning-on-rails abilities with optimized handling performance that all serious trail riders want.

World Class Suspension
Derived from the RM-Z450, the RMX450Z’s trail ready suspension features the same phenomenal action as the race bike. The RMX450Z suspension utilizes high performance rebound and compression damping adjustable Showa forks combined with a Showa piggyback reservoir style rear shock featuring two-way adjustable compression damping with adjustable rebound damping and preload adjustments. Spring rates have been optimized for off-road riding. Every aspect of the RMX450Z’s performance envelope has been carefully considered for serious off-road riding without compromising a millimeter of quality.

Superior Ergonomics
Sit on an RM-Z450. Now go sit on the new RMX450Z. Feels just about the same, right? That’s right. With an ideal riding position resulting from the motocross-developed seat, slim bodywork and low-profile aluminum alloy fuel tank, the RMX450Z allows the rider to concentrate on the terrain. A comfortable rider is a fast rider.

Instruments You Need
A durable, ultra-compact enclosure houses a full-function instrument cluster on the RMX450Z—and can be configured for two modes, standard and sport. The sport mode simplifies the display so the rider can concentrate on terrain; it shows the timer, tripmeter, average speed and tire-diameter correction. In the standard mode, the display also shows speed, time, two trip lengths, and voltage. An integrated tire diameter calculator allows precise fine tuning for different tires to ensure accuracy of the speed and distance displays. The RMX450Z also features a low fuel level warning light for confident off-road riding anywhere you go.


2010 RMX450Z Technical Specifications
Overall Length 2,185 mm (86.0 in.)
Overall Width 830 mm (32.7 in.)
Overall Height 1,260 mm (50.0 in.)
Wheelbase 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
Ground Clearance 320 mm (12.6 in.)
Seat Height 955 mm (37.6 in.)
Curb Weight 123.5 kg (272.3 lbs.)
Engine Type 4-stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC
Bore 96.0 mm
Stroke 62.1 mm
Displacement 449 cm³
Compression Ratio 11.6:1
Fuel System Fuel Injection
Lubrication System Suzuki Advanced Sump System
Clutch Wet multi-plate type
Starter Electric and Manual
Transmission 5-speed constant mesh
Primary Reduction Ratio 2.708 (65/24)
Gear Ratios 1st 2.153 (28/13)
2nd 1.611 (29/18)
3rd 1.250 (25/20)
4th 1.000 (19/19)
5th 0.826 (19/23)
Final Reduction Ratio 3.923 (51/13)
Front Suspension SHOWA 47mm telescopic forks, pneumatic/coil spring, oil
damped
Rear Suspension Swingarm, link type, SHOWA piggyback-reservoir shock
Caster 29°18’
Trail 130mm (5.1 in.)
Front Brake Disc
Rear Brake Disc
Front Tire Size 80/100-21
Rear Tire Size 110/100-18
Fuel Tank Capacity 6.2 L (1.6 US gal.)
Body Color Sold Black/Champion Yellow No. 2 (GY8)
http://www.racerxonline.com/article/2010-suzukis.aspx

Wow! Not street-legal and only 21+ lbs. heavier than a street-legal KTM 450 or 530 EXCR.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
jones68
Adventurer
 
jones68's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Spokane, WA
Oddometer: 19
I can't believe they didn't even add a bigger gas tank. 1.6 gallons, wow.
__________________
11 KTM 690 Enduro R
jones68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68
I can't believe they didn't even add a bigger gas tank. 1.6 gallons, wow.
No doubt, FI bikes are gas hogs so you're not gonna get very far on that.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
leonphelps
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay
 
leonphelps's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Waterford CT
Oddometer: 1,024
Yea they screwed the pooch again with the gas tank.....

Do they even know what they are doing sometimes.....

They can build AMA race bikes (GSXR1000) that kick butt...but they can't build a MotoGP bike to save their life to win a race.....
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'
 
kg4lho's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Blenheim, SC USofA
Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
No doubt, FI bikes are gas hogs so you're not gonna get very far on that.
Uhhh..... Wha?
__________________

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20


My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunceiii
Yea they screwed the pooch again with the gas tank.....

Do they even know what they are doing sometimes.....

They can build AMA race bikes (GSXR1000) that kick butt...but they can't build a MotoGP bike to save their life to win a race.....

My guess is you are really looking at the work of the Yoshimura team and the leadership of Don Sakakura when it comes to AMA racing. He runs a tight ship where winning is a tradition.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Django Loco
Banned
 
Django Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: California
Oddometer: 3,785
No doubt the aftermarket will jump on this and we will see and IMS and Clarke tank available the day the bike appears in showrooms. My guess is the small tank is due to the F.I. inlet track and air box space conflict. Still .... stupid on Suzuki's part.

Did they forget where this bike is likely to be ridden? And who will be riding this bike?
Sure, some racers will race it, but lots of trail riders will too and mid level enduro riders.

I wonder if the bike will be Green Sticker legal for Ca?
And where is the 250cc version?
You don't go desert riding with 1.6 gals. of gas. And you don't go to Baja that way either.

Will it match the WR for long term reliability? (WR is current champion in this area, so it seems)
The wide ratio gear box is good and it's got lots of the same components as the MX'er .... but would be nice if they put a plate on it,
but I suppose the cost is too high and would add weight in order to bring it into 50 state compliance.
KTM & Husky are given special small manufacturer dispensation and need not be as "Clean" as the higher standard the Japanese are held to EPA wise.

BTW, fuel economy should be BETTER, NOT WORSE with F.I. At least every F.I. bike I've had has been really frugal with the gas. (Honda VFR, Aprilia Capo and Tuono, two Vstroms, BMW GS ) A good example is to compare a
Carb version of a 950 KTM Adventure to the F.I. version. BIG difference in favor on the F.I. version.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: too far from the Rockies...
Oddometer: 2,070
It's no wonder KTM's two strokes are still top sellers...

Quoted curb weight: 272.3 lbs without fuel, not necessarily any worse than the majority of their four stroke competitors, but oink, oink...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Will it match the WR for long term reliability? (WR is current champion in this area, so it seems)
The wide ratio gear box is good and it's got lots of the same components as the MX'er .... but would be nice if they put a plate on it,
but I suppose the cost is too high and would add weight in order to bring it into 50 state compliance.
KTM & Husky are given special small manufacturer dispensation and need not be as "Clean" as the higher standard the Japanese are held to EPA wise.
I imagine they don't want to plate it, bcause it would then require a minimum 12 month warranty. Guessing the same reason Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki don't plate theirs either.

Oh, and it says right there in the press release that it is Green Sticker eligible in CA.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
I imagine they don't want to plate it, bcause it would then require a minimum 12 month warranty. Guessing the same reason Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki don't plate theirs either.

Oh, and it says right there in the press release that it is Green Sticker eligible in CA.
Huh

Husky TE range is street legal and AFAIK they don't come with a 12 month warranty in the US.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
kan3
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: MI
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Quoted curb weight: 272.3 lbs without fuel, not necessarily any worse than the majority of their four stroke competitors, but oink, oink...

996DL
Curb weight should include fuel per it's definition
kan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Django Loco
Banned
 
Django Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: California
Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
I imagine they don't want to plate it, bcause it would then require a minimum 12 month warranty. Guessing the same reason Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki don't plate theirs either.

Oh, and it says right there in the press release that it is Green Sticker eligible in CA.
I doubt if any of the big four are afraid to offer a warranty for the bike, although none offer much of a warranty for race bikes. Some 30 days or less?

Warranties are not a problem if the product is reliable.

But there are other costs and mucho complications to having a new product certified by EPA/CARB for sale as a street legal bike. Do you know what it costs? It's very expensive and takes time.

Once again, both Husky and Ktm are not required to pay as much as a major company due to their relatively small sales numbers. So certification for them is more feasible. Trust me, the Japanese companies are NOT happy about this situation and are lobbying hard to change it.

Generally the big four never make street legal competition bikes but undertake to redesign a NEW bike. See DRZ400S for an example. Compare to DRZ400E. Very different motorcycles.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,461
KTM race bikes come with a one-year warranty.
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Trail Ryder OP
Your Hero
 
Trail Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Tax Hell
Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
No doubt the aftermarket will jump on this and we will see and IMS and Clarke tank available the day the bike appears in showrooms. My guess is the small tank is due to the F.I. inlet track and air box space conflict. Still .... stupid on Suzuki's part.

Did they forget where this bike is likely to be ridden? And who will be riding this bike?
Sure, some racers will race it, but lots of trail riders will too and mid level enduro riders.

I wonder if the bike will be Green Sticker legal for Ca?
And where is the 250cc version?
You don't go desert riding with 1.6 gals. of gas. And you don't go to Baja that way either.

Will it match the WR for long term reliability? (WR is current champion in this area, so it seems)
The wide ratio gear box is good and it's got lots of the same components as the MX'er .... but would be nice if they put a plate on it,
but I suppose the cost is too high and would add weight in order to bring it into 50 state compliance.
KTM & Husky are given special small manufacturer dispensation and need not be as "Clean" as the higher standard the Japanese are held to EPA wise.

BTW, fuel economy should be BETTER, NOT WORSE with F.I. At least every F.I. bike I've had has been really frugal with the gas. (Honda VFR, Aprilia Capo and Tuono, two Vstroms, BMW GS ) A good example is to compare a
Carb version of a 950 KTM Adventure to the F.I. version. BIG difference in favor on the F.I. version.
For some strange reason, Suzuki finds it necessary to use a pressurized (and small) aluminum fuel tank; I'm curious how the aftermarket will respond to this. Honda, Yamaha, and Husqvarna get by with a plastic fuel cell with their fuel injection systems.

I'm not sure that KTM gets special small manufacturer dispensation and does not need to be as "Clean" as the higher standard the Japanese are held to EPA wise; as KTM sells more dirt bikes than Kawasaki.

Current reports on the motocross version RMZ450 say that it is a bit thirsty, which really doesn't matter for a 45 minute or less moto, but maybe the RMX map is tuned for economy.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
neepuk
Such a drag...
 
neepuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redstone, CO
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
KTM race bikes come with a one-year warranty.
NOT.... I'm not going it get in to a flame war with you Cody but you're wrong. 90 day powertrain warranty is all you get on the new KTM race bikes. I just called Moore and Sons KTM here in SC to confirm. Also checked the KTM website and they make no claims on warranty.
__________________
2014 KTM 150/200xc conversion 1993 BMW R100GS Paris Dakar 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar 1971 Yamaha CT-1 2007 Honda CRF150f 1977 Honda CT125 Chopper
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014