Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder
Wet (curb) weight of the street-legal 2009 KTM 530 EXCR is 257 lbs. [Source: Dirt Bike Magazine, April 2009, Page 25] The off-road only 450 & 530 XC-W are even lighter.
So you say. You might be right. Dirt Bike might have accidently weighed a bike correctly. It has happended on rare occasions. Forgive me if I can't see how KTM dropped 20 lbs between the 2007 and 2008 EXCR models.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #32
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev. redbeard
i'm gonna have to start saving... this is everything a DRZ owner could ever dream of having! its exactly what drzers have been wanting since the drz came out! look at every thread in every forum about what would make the drz better and this has everything, FI, 450bore, and light as a 450 mxer(just no fricken 6speed) this bike is brilliant!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if this was a rebadged kawi as suzuki as we all know has a history of teaming up with them to make bikes
The "teaming up" of Suzuki and Kawi happened only for a year or two and has been completely dissolved with no plans to share any more platforms.

The Suzuki and Kawi MX bikes are totally different.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #33
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
So you say. You might be right. Dirt Bike might have accidently weighed a bike correctly. It has happended on rare occasions. Forgive me if I can't see how KTM dropped 20 lbs between the 2007 and 2008 EXCR models.
Entirely new engines, frames, plastics, wheels, swingarm, hubs, etc.

2007:

2008:

That's how.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #34
Django Loco
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
Nonsense. There are different rules for manufacturers selling less than 3,000 units in the US, regardless of global sales, different rules for a person making a custom bike for himself, different rules for up to 24 "show and display" motorcycles and endless variations in the form of hardship provisions, in which a manufacturer can gain a three-year exemption from current rules by demonstrating they have done the best they can and that compliance would affect the company's solvency.

http://www.aimag.com/epa/Nov04-pt2.htm
http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/roadbike...-regs-pres.pdf
This is exactly to what I was referring to earlier. Thanks for the update and links Montesa VR !

Although if the Japanese OEM's have their way .... KTM and Husky's special dispensations may go away .... or Maybe? .... they already have? I have not followed this closely for a while.

I spoke with Suzuki's Mel Harris (Am. Suzuki CEO) about this 3 years ago and he mentioned his companies displeasure regards the advantage KTM (and other small producers) had in this regard .... specifically with their street legal dirt bikes. CARB (California) has even more rules and sadly, the EPA now use CARB as a kind of guideline organization for enacting future pollution control law that can affect the whole country. (God help us poor dirt riders!)
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #35
Django Loco
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r
Do you have this in writing or some kind of proof? I am not arguing or disagreeing but I would love to know that Honda and Yamaha are trying to change this. Just wanting a good offroad dual sport from the factory.
I haven't followed the issue in while (see my earlier post). I've seen information on this subject posted in Dealer News and on the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council web site.

We may never see a good off road, street legal dual sport from the Japanese.
Suzuki promised one years ago and I think this RMZ-X is it. But no plate, and probably won't get one.

I just learned about the Alu gas tank. Hopefully a plastic aftermarket tank can be substituted. But what about the fuel pump? Could be a dealer breaker, bad for Suzuki. Hopefully the aftermarket can solve this without producing a product costing an Arm and Leg ??
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #36
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco

I just learned about the Alu gas tank. Hopefully a plastic aftermarket tank can be substituted. But what about the fuel pump? Could be a dealer breaker, bad for Suzuki. Hopefully the aftermarket can solve this without producing a product costing an Arm and Leg ??
Don't see that being any issue at all. Like I said before, my KXF 450 has the internal fuel pump and IMS makes a tank for it. Doesn't take any longer to switch out the fuel pump then it does to switch out a petcock. You're sweating over nothing. If they see a market in selling bigger tanks for MX bikes, then I have a feeling they will see an even bigger market for an Enduro bike.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #37
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
It does not have a plate not worth a dime. Japan Inc. has to step up to the plate. Riding areas are going away fast best way to have a ride in New England is to have a plate to connect trails and roads. Look around New England and it is a sea of orange. Why, you can put a plate on them.I do not care what you say about epa this and that Japan inc. is a sleep at the wheel.

AMA, BTR, AND NETRA MEMBER
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #38
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT DIRT?
It does not have a plate not worth a dime. Japan Inc. has to step up to the plate. Riding areas are going away fast best way to have a ride in New England is to have a plate to connect trails and roads. Look around New England and it is a sea of orange. Why, you can put a plate on them.I do not care what you say about epa this and that Japan inc. is a sleep at the wheel.
Closed course racing.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #39
Django Loco
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Don't see that being any issue at all. Like I said before, my KXF 450 has the internal fuel pump and IMS makes a tank for it. Doesn't take any longer to switch out the fuel pump then it does to switch out a petcock. You're sweating over nothing. If they see a market in selling bigger tanks for MX bikes, then I have a feeling they will see an even bigger market for an Enduro bike.
Hey Albie, why do you suppose Suzuki are using an expensive Aluminum tank in the first place? I have a feeling there is a good reason for it ??
Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #40
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,070
Quote:
Hey Albie, why do you suppose Suzuki are using an expensive Aluminum tank in the first place? I have a feeling there is a good reason for it ??
What, as opposed to STEEL gas tanks that come on all the Suzuki dual sport bikes or plastic ones on the off road only bikes.? Good reason, what's the good reason for making it 1.6 gallons?
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,729
The US Suzuki website is finally showing the 2010 RMX450Z.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...ory=off%20road

Is it me or do those vent holes in each side of the air box look like they could be a problematic in deep water?

Also, apparently the aluminum tank has the fuel pump inside of it (to pressurize it)...might make aftermarket tanks difficult to make or more expensive than usual.

So why aluminum as some earlier post ask?...it's lighter than steel and less flexible under pressure than plastic I would assume.

Edit: actually got a closer look at the holes in the air box and they are just cosmetic. The seal on the hinged side is below the hole.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt

DariusFriedel screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 08:46 AM
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #42
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
My guess is you are really looking at the work of the Yoshimura team and the leadership of Don Sakakura and the riding abilities of Mat Mladin and Ben Spies when it comes to AMA racing. He runs a tight ship where winning is a tradition.
Fixed.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #43
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,655
Was on Just Tanks site and found this. but no mention of the capacity. Anyone have the skinny on the largest capacity for this bike? And will it mate up to the 2008-2009 RMZ450?

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...oducts_id=1205
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #44
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
from what i've read about the tank on the mx bike is that suzuki pressurizes their tanks in such a way that suzuki felt alum. was needed???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #45
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT DIRT?
move to colorado and all your plate issues go away.
infact move to az & it's even easier.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote