Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #46
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
My best friend has a 09 ktm 530exc, He used a commerical scale and it came in at 262LB it was almost topped but not completely.

I always hear different numbers, dont take them to serious. anything under 280 is light for what these bikes can do.

Bikes of the past:
02 rm125, 96 rmx250, 01 drz400E, 07 drz400sm
02 ktm 640, 06 ttr125
Jrmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #47
Uncle-roby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hi Everybody!

I own a Drz400E dual sported.
But I owned XR600/650/400 and Ktm LC4.

In Italy where I live (but I reckon in whole Europe) all the enduro bike must be street legal (that's why husqvarna, beta, ktm, and such are street legal even in the USA).

Here the Suzuki RM, RMZ and DRZ400E are imported by Mr. Valenti (www.valentiracing.it).
He will sell the new RMX450Z enduro/supermoto, street legal, with passenger pegs.

According to him the maintainance schedule for a DS use will be simila to the DRZ400E: oil change every 60 hours or 4000 kilometers no racebike rebuild schedule.

The bike will arrive at a dealer close to my house.
He raced 3 Paris-Dakar with DR350 and DRZ400, thus he will test the new RMX to check reliability.

The wheel-power of the street legal version is 42.5 hp.

The bad part: in Italy it will cost 9,400 euros...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #48
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT DIRT?
It does not have a plate not worth a dime. Japan Inc. has to step up to the plate. Riding areas are going away fast best way to have a ride in New England is to have a plate to connect trails and roads. Look around New England and it is a sea of orange. Why, you can put a plate on them.I do not care what you say about epa this and that Japan inc. is a sleep at the wheel.
Im with this guy. No plate no care. Closed circuit racing is great for those fortunate enough to have all of the supporting rigs, some of us just want to ride to the trail, ride the trail and ride home.

Looks like a cool bike regardless.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #49
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
why all the closed circuit talk? those are mx bikes, this is a woods/enduro bike and can be used on all the blm & forest service land out there.

well i guess if you live in state where you can't tag nor do you have public land to ride on w/o a tag then you're sol. maybe in your next life you'll choose more wisely where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab
Im with this guy. No plate no care. Closed circuit racing is great for those fortunate enough to have all of the supporting rigs, some of us just want to ride to the trail, ride the trail and ride home.

Looks like a cool bike regardless.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #50
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Japan Inc. needs to come up with better headlight designs (see KTM EXC's)- the ones i've seen on the KLX, WRF, and CRF leave something to be desired
Dirt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #51
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Very Disappointing...

The published gear ratios for the transmission indicate a very narrowly spaced 5-speed gear box, even narrower than that of the DRZ-400. In the parlance of the thread "Five speed vs. Six speed-Some Surprises", the equivlent line looks like:

2.61 Suzuki RMX-450Z (5-speed) 13.16

Hence, Suzuki's literature misses a key point about this motorcycle: it has a motocross-style gearbox, probably right out of the RMZ-450.

For my uses, it needs a widely spaced 6-speed gear box, like that of the Husky TE610 or the Yamaha WR-450R. So close, and yet so far.
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #52
eakins
Butler Maps

so with a small tank & narrow gearbox suzuki's focus is tight off-road ridding,
where speeds are slower & distances are shorter. this bike is obviuosly not the best choice for western dual sport riders. i'll keep my eyes open for a 2011 FI wr450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
The published gear ratios for the transmission indicate a very narrowly spaced 5-speed gear box, even narrower than that of the DRZ-400. In the parlance of the thread "Five speed vs. Six speed-Some Surprises", the equivlent line looks like:

2.61 Suzuki RMX-450Z (5-speed) 13.16

Hence, Suzuki's literature misses a key point about this motorcycle: it has a motocross-style gearbox, probably right out of the RMZ-450.

For my uses, it needs a widely spaced 6-speed gear box, like that of the Husky TE610 or the Yamaha WR-450R. So close, and yet so far.
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #53
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
I'm not sure why so many here thought that it would be a great DS mount. From the begining it seemed fairly clear Suzuki intended it to compete with the CRFX and the WRF. Neither are great DSs unless dirt is the main focus. Their trannys are better but still limiting.

Only thing new here is the addition of FI.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #54
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I'm not sure why so many here thought that it would be a great DS mount. From the begining it seemed fairly clear Suzuki intended it to compete with the CRFX and the WRF. Neither are great DSs unless dirt is the main focus. Their trannys are better but still limiting.

Only thing new here is the addition of FI.
dude,
in colorado (& MANY other states) that is dual sport!
you ride over 1 jeep-road mountain pass to the next hiway then connect up with another pass and so on. 400-650 thumpers are ideal for this. the dual in dual sport is just a tag to be able to connect the next jeep road.
often the paved roads are twisty mottard like roads where these bikes are fun too. rides are 200+ miles easily.

in fl you got nothing but long straight paved road & the ocassional sand road.

the wide ratio helps with the 50-70mph top gear jaunt down the hiway so as you're engine is not reving to the moon.
crfx & wrs are used this way all the time.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 12-11-2009 at 10:21 PM
Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #55
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Even the Huskys have a bigger tank than that They have a 2 year warranty on all bikes in the UK too.

Nice to see another competitor on the market though.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #56
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Quoted curb weight: 272.3 lbs without fuel, not necessarily any worse than the majority of their four stroke competitors, but oink, oink...

996DL
Tey should take some design ques from Yamaha and thier new 450cc weapon!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #57
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
dude,
in colorado (& MANY other states) that is dual sport!
you ride over 1 jeep-road mountain pass to the next hiway then connect up with another pass and so on. 400-650 thumpers are ideal for this. the dual in dual sport is just a tag to be able to connect the next jeep road.
often the paved roads are twisty mottard like roads where these bikes are fun too. rides are 200+ miles easily.

in fl you got nothing but long straight paved road & the ocassional sand road.

the wide ratio helps with the 50-70mph top gear jaunt down the hiway so as you're engine is not reving to the moon.
crfx & wrs are used this way all the time.
I ride 2 miles of pavement then hit dirt. I could ride through groves to get there but citrus guys are uptight about this. Making short paved runs many of which are only a block or two i can ride to the other end of the county. Trouble is if i ride hard by the time i get there i'm whooped.Trails are commonly tight and twisty not at all as you believe. Riding the highway home 25 +miles on a MX geared bike would suck.

I had a Wr400 and gearing was an issue. Gearing for 70mph killed low speed running. Worse than the two strokes i ran. Most folks here do not believe our definition of a DS though. I'm running the 6 speed option now and it is so much better!

This bike was often spoke of as a DRZ replacement. Never looked that way to me.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #58
eakins
Butler Maps

let's see some pics of this terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I ride 2 miles of pavement then hit dirt. I could ride through groves to get there but citrus guys are uptight about this. Making short paved runs many of which are only a block or two i can ride to the other end of the county. Trouble is if i ride hard by the time i get there i'm whooped.Trails are commonly tight and twisty not at all as you believe. Riding the highway home 25 +miles on a MX geared bike would suck.

I had a Wr400 and gearing was an issue. Gearing for 70mph killed low speed running. Worse than the two strokes i ran. Most folks here do not believe our definition of a DS though. I'm running the 6 speed option now and it is so much better!

This bike was often spoke of as a DRZ replacement. Never looked that way to me.
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #59
LILBIT
Ride you must.

I have very few. I mostly ride by myself and my wife won't trust me with her decent camera. Understandable really. I have no photo account anywhere so can't post here. PM me your email and i'll send you something. I'll get better pictures next week too.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #60
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
So anybody tried out one of these loverlies yet????
Does seem a great bike although reports of low speed fueling and bad starting. However great service intervals sounds ideal for a great DS base, once a bigger tank added
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote