Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #61
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
So anybody tried out one of these loverlies yet????
Does seem a great bike although reports of low speed fueling and bad starting. However great service intervals sounds ideal for a great DS base, once a bigger tank added
Where exactly did you hear anything about long service intervals? I thought the exact opposite was the case and one of the reasons why it would sucks as an adventure bike.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #62
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
First report of it came out in Jan issue of TBM in UK as it came out then to buy. Service interval is said to be same as DRZ E which I believe over here is 1000 mile oil change etc. piston is not something that requires 70 hour change as with some enduro models, so it sounds pretty good to me. The Feb issue of TBM then had it as a shootout between KTM400, Husaberg 390 and used Sherco 4.5i
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #63
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
First report of it came out in Jan issue of TBM in UK as it came out then to buy. Service interval is said to be same as DRZ E which I believe over here is 1000 mile oil change etc. piston is not something that requires 70 hour change as with some enduro models, so it sounds pretty good to me. The Feb issue of TBM then had it as a shootout between KTM400, Husaberg 390 and used Sherco 4.5i
Interesting, a 450 Suzuki against 400 series KTM and Husky. Is it not able to compete against the 450 KTM's?

I have two Suzuki's but I am not a fanboy...if I were to spend $8+K on a offroad bike I'd probably just go with a KTM.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #64
Uncle-roby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
The user manual says oil change every 2000 kilometers.
Doesn't specify (for what I have been told) piston/rings replacement...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #65
Trail Ryder OP
Your Hero

Oddometer: 1,032
Not Good

The latest issue of Dirt Rider has a full test of the RMX 450 Z.

The really didn't have anything good to say about the bike. Runs like crap (even with most of the emmissions crap removed), stall prone, poor suspension tuning, and it runs out of fuel in 35 to 45 miles.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #66
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder
The latest issue of Dirt Rider has a full test of the RMX 450 Z.

The really didn't have anything good to say about the bike. Runs like crap (even with most of the emmissions crap removed), stall prone, poor suspension tuning, and it runs out of fuel in 35 to 45 miles.

Wow, only a 45 mile range? With that range you might as well get an electric bike like the one below

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-x.php

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #67
Sturgell
Urban dirtbiker

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFriedel
Wow, only a 45 mile range? With that range you might as well get an electric bike like the one below

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-x.php
Holy shit, for in town sidewalk bashing I think I could ride a 161 lb bike with 23 HP and 50 ft/lbs of torque. Plus it would add a new dimension to stealth.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #68
Sturgell
Urban dirtbiker

Oddometer: 81
I just looked at the price $7500
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #69
Trail Ryder OP
Your Hero

Talking

The Suzuki US MSRP = $8,399

Got to love that weak dollar.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #70
Uncle-roby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I own the fourth dual sported DRZ400E.
Great bike but sooner or later I would like to try something new.
I have been told by the italian importer that the RMX has almost the same maintainance schedule but I was little bit skeptical.

Thus I start asking Rmx owners (very few...) ad I've found out what the user manual and the service manual say: they do not schedule piston replacement abut just oil change and valve check every 2000 kilometers.

Check out what RMXRider says: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...=908002&page=2

I use the bike as commuter, off road and supermoto for 12.000 kms a year,

"She" may be my next bike!

I just hope suzuki will lower the price: it's too high!

Uncle-roby screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 08:12 AM
Uncle-roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #71
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
The price of the suzuki is about the same as the ktm 450xc but has a couple of flaws that make the bike a no go for me. A tank that is way to small to be useful in most of the off road rides that i do. it even falls short for many of the off road races that i do. The lack of the sixth gear and a relatively narrow five gear box. As far as rides in the the Baja even with the ims tank its still way to small.

FI has some benefits but it also has some flaws as well. Fuel consumption is not necessarily better than a well tuned carb bike. FI pumps hate running out of fuel the lack of fuel to cool the pump shortens the pump life and they usually are not cheap to replace.

although linked suspension is great on the track it doesn't always function well in some off road situations.

so for a first attempt a getting into this market its a good first attempt but still has a ways to go before i would consider it as an alternative.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #72
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I would buy one today if it was sold in the US. IMS sells a 2.6 gallon tank and that would extend the mileage to a very resectable number. FWIW when I had my '08 RMZ450 I could get 25mpg on a fast trail ride, so an easy dual sport ride should push the mileage of the RMX to almost 40mpg. Also, the starting really did get easier with time on my RMZ (past 5 hours) so there's no reason to think that the RMX would be any different. The 5 speed gear box is a problem but you could still hit 90mph with the stock gearing, although crusing at 70mph for a long time would not be fun.

But 55mph and under with a 2.6gal tank and with dirt roads and single track trails scheduled in the days ride, you will have an excellent steed.
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #73
Trail Ryder OP
Your Hero

Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda (to a lesser extent) have given up on producing off-road bikes.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
The Suzuki US MSRP = $8,399

Got to love that weak dollar.
the US will still pay less than most every other market in the world however.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #75
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
I would buy one today if it was sold in the US. IMS sells a 2.6 gallon tank and that would extend the mileage to a very resectable number. FWIW when I had my '08 RMZ450 I could get 25mpg on a fast trail ride, so an easy dual sport ride should push the mileage of the RMX to almost 40mpg. Also, the starting really did get easier with time on my RMZ (past 5 hours) so there's no reason to think that the RMX would be any different. The 5 speed gear box is a problem but you could still hit 90mph with the stock gearing, although crusing at 70mph for a long time would not be fun.

But 55mph and under with a 2.6gal tank and with dirt roads and single track trails scheduled in the days ride, you will have an excellent steed.
Seriously?.... A respectable range where? This 2.6 gal tank is even a joke for ADV or trail riding out West for instance. I see a 100 mile total range WITH the 2.6 tank and about 65 without.... You will spend a lot of time trying to look for gas at that small range . The perimeter frame really keeps the fuel capacity way too low and the lack of a 6 speed in an off-road/ADV bike is a deal breaker for many of us who wanted a light replacement for the venerable DRZ400. Then there is the TI valves and the lack of EPA/street legal status that really kills it all. This bike is a LOSE and shows Suzuki does not understand much of the US off-road scene IMO.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote