Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
I use an old qt lacquer thinner can with a nipple fitting in the bottom sealed with epoxy. I hang it from the handlebars with tie wraps.

But.... I often have issues with leaking where I attempt to join to the bike's fuel system - there is considerable variance in the hose size between the bikes I work on and I often have to jury-rig something to step up or down in size. Annoying and slightly dangerous. As someone else said, you really need to keep a decent-size fire extinguisher handy. I've been close to getting the Motion Pro one a few times just because it seems better sorted but it is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
I have a 1 gallon, red plastic gas jug that I use (like you get from the hardware store). There's a small vent with a cap on the jug... it's the perfect size for a fuel line, I just hook the line up and stand the jug on end with the nipple facing down, when I'm done I just set the jug on the ground and let the line drain back into the jug.
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
LostRider
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Gato
Dont forget the all important after- the-fact Garage sized Fire extinguisher
Hey that's a good idea...

With all the flammable/explosive stuff in my garage I don't know why I never thought of that.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #19
Solo Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostRider
Hey that's a good idea...

With all the flammable/explosive stuff in my garage I don't know why I never thought of that.
dont ask how I know but.... I consider (with gas tank work) 10lbs about minimum. 5lbs if its next to you while you work. FWIW, my shop has purple k extinguishers.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
You're only limited by your imagination. If you go to the "Show u your man castle" thread, you'll see a pic of my garage. Along the right wall, near a stack of tires, you'll see what looks like a coolant reservoir hanging from an adjustable height stand. What that is, is, well, it's a coolant reservoir hanging from an adjustable height stand. I salvaged it from a pile of junk parts at a dealer. The stand it just some thing I got from a store that was going out if business, it was an adjustable sign. Nice thing about the coolant bottle is that it has a hose fitting on the bottom, and it also has one up high on the filler neck used as an over flow. That works as my vent. The adjustable stand is nice because I can raise it all the way up and still have it above carb level on a bike lifted all the way up on my lift.

Be creative. This is one shop tool you can have for very, little if any, money.
Thats a good one.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,502

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #22
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,019
To add a fuel line...use a metal valve stem for a tubless tire and remove the valve core. The rubber washer seals fine.

Got a hole you need to seal. drill it out and use a toilet tank bolt. Brass, big head, rubber washer, it's perfect.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Drill a hole in the cap of a soda bottle, insert some clear tubing thats a little thicker than the hole you drilled so it holds via friction and seals. Or you can use a ziptie to keep it from sliding out.

Take a coat hanger and make it straight while leaving the hook on the opposite side of the hose, tape it to the bottle, hang it up. Done.
I've used this method and supported the bottle with bungee cords streched between the mirrors on the handlebars - right height, secure, and out of harm's way.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,662
Find any junk car, pull off the windsheild washer tank.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
A turkey baster and some tubing worked for me.

Really looked trailer park tho',...

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #26
das Motorradreiter OP
Diehard Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 315
I found an old, large Progessive Fork "hypodermic-looking" syringe in my cabinet and pulled out the plunger. I was able to get a piece of gas siphoning tubing over the end. On the bike side, I had to wrap a thick rubber band around the fuel fiter to create a good enough seal. (When I put on a hose clamp w/o it, gas leaked out all over the place.) I had my 9 year-old daughter hold the "test tank" in the air and my 12 year-old daughter monitored the carb synch device while I adjusted the screw on the carbs. The bike purrs like a kitten now! Thanks everyone!
das Motorradreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
SidecarPete
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Viki's auxilliary gas tank

My industrious friend in Prague, Czech Republic, Viki Kreibich, has put together an auxilliary gas tank kit that contains everything needed for shop or road testing an internal combustion engined vehicle.

He sourced the tank, plastic petcock, clear fuel lines, fuel line clips and nylon cable ties. There is even a chain attached to the tank to hang it from a convenient spot. The instructions are in Czech, and it comes in a big ziplock bag.

Viki told me that he has been using one for several months and it works great.

Viki sent me two kits for evaluation and market research. I am in NH USA. A price has not been set yet, but we'd like to get a sense of how willing people would be to buy a kit.

SidecarPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,828
plastic lawn mower fuel tank , flood light stand & i can hang my carbtune on the other end

MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #29
sporthog93
Sporthog93

Oddometer: 767
i am using my second Motion pro tank, the first one burned up. fire extinguisher is an excellent idea.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #30
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,327
Put me in the syringe column. I have one that fits nicely in 8mm fuel line and is self-supporting in between the upper frame elements where they separate from the backbone on my C10. I leave the plunger out and top it up periodically as the bike runs. It'll run for several minutes at idle on one syringe of fuel, though.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote