User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
proxyissues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Micatech bag complaints? Anyone?

I'm in the process (like many people) of narrowing down what panniers to get, and I'm leaning towards the Micatech bags (Pilot as V2's seem to have same bike width as the 12" pilots but are smaller).

Anyone with them have complaints about them they want to air?
proxyissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,069
i've never had Micatechs, only seen them. they look fine, a bit large, like having two gigantic toasters on each side of the bike. seemed to be made well with a good capacity. i didn't study the rack (which i hold more important than the boxes themselves) so i can't comment. they seemed to be priced about right, same as Jesses, same as Touratechs, etc.

all i can say is this:

if i ever, ever consider buying a side-opening pannier again, i'm going to slap myself. what a PITA. what i needed was never in the front, things spilled out no matter how many bags i used, and taking the actual box off the bike often required removing most of the contents since the mounting pucks are deep inside the pannier.

on the whole they look fine. i think it could be a solid move.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
costly they are!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,998
I like 'em. The only downside seems to be the left-hand side one (adjacent to the exhaust) gets too hot for storage of heat-sensitive things, like chocolate, for example..... but that can be fixed by placement of a heat-shielding material on the outside of the case.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,925
The other minor downside is that they block access to the lock to remove the seats (which you can get around with pull wires to bypass the locks).

I have never had anything fall out when opening them up and we pack them pretty full for multi-week 2-up camping trips. I previously had Jesse to loading cases, and much prefer the side loading Micatechs.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
ADVDAD
Trip-n on da Beemer

Oddometer: 78
I have bothe the panniers and the 55ltr top box, nothing finer!!! almost 50,000 miles on them with no problems and no leaks!! Super fast on and off, bullet proof!! I am listing mine on the forum for sale because i'm selling the bike, along with a Russell and a Marsee Twist lock tank bag.

DUE TO BUDGET CUTS, THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BE TURNED OFF!!!

07 BMW 1200 GS
00 KLR 650
IBA #32390
www.dadsgallery.com
ADVDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
LeftCoastLefty
Long Time Lurker

Oddometer: 36
No complaints

The left one is smaller, warmer, more prone to stuff falling out, and it blocks the lock. But these are all manageable problems and well worth it, IMHO.

I put my expensive stuff in the right one. My laptop fits perfectly across the wheel-side wall. I use Eagle Creek's Pack-It system to keep things organized. There are several work arounds for the key issue.

-duane-
LeftCoastLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands
if i ever, [I
ever[/I] consider buying a side-opening pannier again, i'm going to slap myself. what a PITA. what i needed was never in the front, things spilled out no matter how many bags i used,
You obviously haven't used the Micatech semi side loading cases. When you open the doors, NOTHING falls out, and you can load the pillion deck and still access the contents of the cases. The mounts are invisible once the cases are removed and customer service is second to none.. and that for me, is the most important factor in just about any purchase.

Try this with a top loader

Old 06-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
harland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I had the system cases on my 06 gs and did not like them. Too flimsy (plastic) and not big enough. Have the BMW aluminum cases (side and top) on my 07 GSA. They are OK but tend to turn anything light colored that is put into them black. Always have to take something off the bike in order to get into the side cases. Have the Micatech side cases and the largest top case they make. These are the cases to keep. They hold probably more than half again what the BWW aluminum side cases hold and there is absolutely no comparison on what the top case will hold. I have a 17 inch Macbook Pro, a Nikon D80 in a camera bag, a pair of binoculars, a rainsuit, 3 hardback books, gloves and number other smaller items in the top case and it will still hold more. Have never had anything fall out of the side cases because of the way they are made and I do not have to unload something from the bike in order to get to the sidecases. I seldom take the seat off so the case is not really a problem. And besides they have service second to none. I had a very small leak in the top case and called Sue. She said send it back and I did. They fixed the leak, put a larger rubber gasket on and repowdercoated the case. No charge. Service second to none. My next bike will also have Micatechs.
harland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,085
Worlds finest craftsmanship

The folks that manufacture the Micatech's are a customer of mine I've known for 14 years. (I repair the CNC metal fab. machinery) and I have seen the product being built. All TOP notch engineering and build quality. Bikes everywhere being fitted and such. These panniers are the best no-compromise design I've seen. This is 37 years of motorcycling and 31 years of professional metal fabricating experience talking to you.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,964
Everyone likes to make fun of the way they look...

Until they look closer, and see how they're built.
Spread your arms and hold you breath
And always trust your cape (Guy Clark)
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Roadie
2-Wheels Rule

Oddometer: 161
i love my new Micatechs. I've had System cases and Jesse's. There's no comparison. Huge capacity, unparalleled customer service the highest quality.
I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
DJ Tomás
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I like mine...but

I wish I could fit my helmet into the right side case. I have an XL Arai that won't fit inside the right case as advertised.
DJ Tomás is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
Petethepup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Micatech convert here

Installed used Micatechs on 2008 GSA. Took a little 2 week, 5600 mile camping trip.
1. Huge bags. If you need bigger, check the Ford or Chevy truck catalogue.
2. Very well made. Strong aluminum, simple construction.
3. Very easy to use. I love the semi-side loading. When the lid is open, it never pops off the strap (unlike OEM occasionally). Plus, the lid has a 1/2 inch lip that holds stuff that is sitting on the lid.
4. Yes, you have to install a seat-opening wire or string, no big deal.
5. When the bags are off (most of the time in my day to day) the racks are the least obtrusive of any on the market. MUCH less so than the OEM erector set.
Petethepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
ChiefPilot
Rather be flying, but....

Oddometer: 80
I had BMW Vario system bags on my '06 GS. They were replaced of this past winter with Micatechs.

LOVE the new Micatechs. Side loading these bags is not a problem and NOTHING falls out even when stuffed to the max with gear.

Heat in left bag has not been an issue and I recently added the Excel exhaust extenders to ensure it stays that way.

They are stout and waterproof. I tested both (oops) and rode 8 hours through much rain and wet roads. All dry all the time.

The seat key thing is kind of a pain, but not really a big deal with the wire installed.

Plus, their customer service is about the best you'll ever find from any vendor.

Good luck.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947
ChiefPilot is offline   Reply With Quote