Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #31
LeftCoastLefty
Long Time Lurker

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands
dude, why is this turning into a toploader vs. Micatech thread?

my opion, try Vern Worldbeaters.
Maybe because every other pannier IS a toploader?

Do those Zegas suffer from aluminum oxidization like some of the other toploaders--er, I mean non-Michatechs? Touratach doesn't really explain if they are coated or not.

Vern's Worldbeaters look promising.

-duane-
LeftCoastLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxyissues

Though I am curious as to why people complain about the seat lock so much. I mean are you keeping a stash under it for safety? I have a rear box for helmet so don't have to use the seat anymore.
Do you still think this design flaw would be ok after your fancy custom seat gets stolen?

If Jesse, Touratech, etc. had this fault, it would be a really big deal, but because it is a Micatech problem, it is ok.

And yes I know the Canadian Super Mod will come along and put some kind of spin on this that will make it sound like it is a cool feature.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #33
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastLefty
Maybe because every other pannier IS a toploader?

Do those Zegas suffer from aluminum oxidization like some of the other toploaders--er, I mean non-Michatechs? Touratach doesn't really explain if they are coated or not.

Vern's Worldbeaters look promising.

-duane-
yes, the Touratech Zegas are uncoated and will oxidize and if you leave an extra jacket liner in there for a few weeks it will attain some black schmutz from the pannier. people spray them with clear, line them, etc. i don't worry about it. but yes, it's an issue.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #34
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Too friendly

Called to place my order today and had a question that they called over Bob to answer. He is such a great guy we chatted for a half hour and I almost forgot to order my new cases

Luckily I did get the order placed and Bob is going to try and get them to me for a potential trip I have in a few weeks. GREAT folk at Micatech.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #35
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
Do you still think this design flaw would be ok after your fancy custom seat gets stolen?

If Jesse, Touratech, etc. had this fault, it would be a really big deal, but because it is a Micatech problem, it is ok.

Mr. Sunshine:

you must live in a tough 'hood where you're afraid people will steal your seat. The only people who will know how to remove the seat are GS owners.. and I don't see GS owners stealing from GS owners. If you ever attend an MOA rally, you'll find lots of bikes left with riding gear and keys in the ignition..

What's there to access under my seat? Nothing. I don't keep anything under the seat. I have a wire tied to the seat lock for quick access to the battery should I need a boost. Plus, since attaching it, I never use the key because when I used to use the key (when the panniers are off), I'd get back to my bike and i'd spend half an hour looking for the key when it's sitting in the seat lock!

From what I've read on here, you can't access the key lock with the Jesse Safari bags, you have to open the lid or some such..

At any rate, this thread is a testament to the great customer service and quality products offered by Micatech. I like to sing their praises because excellent customer service is a rarity these days. I also have nothing but praise for Tony at cyclenutz.com, and in Canada, Les at dualsportplus.com.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #36
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Thumb An update:

My Micatechs arrived today! Bob and company more than met expectations in getting the bags to me ahead of schedule even as they prep for the MOA rally.

Now I just have to get my bike back from the dealer (fuel strip) so I can get 'em mounted up.

More companies would do well to follow the Micatech customer service model.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #37
mjtir1
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Warning MOTECH Side carrier

If you read carefully the mounting instructions

http://www.mo-tech.de/anbauanleitung...07_513_100.pdf

you ll see clearly that the Max. Load is 5 Kg (11 lbs) per case.

I think this is a drawback ...

mjtir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #38
proxyissues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
The 5KG limit was a bit of a turnoff of the mo-tech bags, sure it can likely be exceeded but at the risk of it possibly falling off. Which pretty much just leaves you with the non-Mo-tech mounted bags which seems to be decreasing in variety.
proxyissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #39
Kenadian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Got them, love them

I had a set of Jessie Millenium bags on my R1100GS and really liked them. They were semi side loading and they worked well.
I bought a 2005 R1200GS this past year which came with BMW side loading Varios (they are for sale). I did not like the pure side loading because things would fall out when I opened them. I also got spoiled by the large volume I had with the Jessies. I recently got my Micatechs and LOVE them. No problem with things falling out. The design makes for easy loading, but things are not likely to fall out when open. The top is great for lashing gear down without interference when opening the bags. The volume is huge and they are beautifully made. The latching is great, the mounting strong and clean. These bags are awesome! I would highly recommend these if you want to carry lots of gear. Oh, the service is exceptional as well.
Did I mention I like them?
Kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #40
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtir1
If you read carefully the mounting instructions

http://www.mo-tech.de/anbauanleitung...07_513_100.pdf

you ll see clearly that the Max. Load is 5 Kg (11 lbs) per case.

I think this is a drawback ...

It speaks volumes about the manufacturers lack of trust in the design of the mounts.

I see they have switched back to the proven design of another manufacturers traditional mounting racks for their new bags.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #41
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Wrong again...

The Pilot cases were initially designed for the 11xxGS, and was then adapted to also fit the 1200. Designing and building bike specific cases is a slow and costly process. Touratech, Hepco-Becker, Givi, etc.. all use the universal case approach, so for the new smaller cases, Micatech opted to design a universal case in two sizes, 8" and 10", and mount them to SW Motech Evo racks, which have a solid 4 point mounting system to the case, and the mounts can be quickly removed from the bike using their quarter turn quick release screws.

I had a look at the new cases at the MOA rally and really liked the way they mount, and the clever design features in the new V2 cases. I'll be getting a set for my 800GS.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #42
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,527
FWIW, I can get my key in to remove my seat with my bags on. (1100GS)

Love the side load feature. Spillage is not the issue as with the OEM GS bags.

Mounts? Have been coast to coast - no issues. Even further on New England's frost heave riddled roads. Not problems.

I like those V2's so much I'm tempted to buy an 800GS just so I can put them on it.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #43
rotax07
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Tomás
I wish I could fit my helmet into the right side case. I have an XL Arai that won't fit inside the right case as advertised.

Thats odd because my XXL Arai Signet fits in my cases just fine. Start it in on its side then roll it down. I also fit my sons large Aria XD3 in the case at the same time though on end. The cases work great and as soon as I finish my new exhaust I will have full size cases on both sides.
rotax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #44
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,388
Been about 60,000+ with mine. Did a trip to Alaska last year from Kansas City by way of Maine. 19,177 miles. Gone 2.5 months. No problems.

Took a face plant 4 weeks ago. 35 mph going down hill on a muddy gravel road. All it did was scratch the sticker I had on it.

My stuff doesn't fall out. But then I maybe pack different than some. I put my stuff in different colored bags so I know what I am getting out when I need something. And I just bought the Med. topcase at the BMWMOA and installed it myself in less than 15 minutes.

Customer service is BAR NONE!

If you get the spare key (1150 model) from BMW it does not have the big plastic head on it and will fit perfect to get your seat off. I don't know about the 1200.

GB it was good to meet you again.

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #45
mjtir1
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Wrong again...

The Pilot cases were initially designed for the 11xxGS, and was then adapted to also fit the 1200. Designing and building bike specific cases is a slow and costly process. Touratech, Hepco-Becker, Givi, etc.. all use the universal case approach, so for the new smaller cases, Micatech opted to design a universal case in two sizes, 8" and 10", and mount them to SW Motech Evo racks, which have a solid 4 point mounting system to the case, and the mounts can be quickly removed from the bike using their quarter turn quick release screws.

I had a look at the new cases at the MOA rally and really liked the way they mount, and the clever design features in the new V2 cases. I'll be getting a set for my 800GS.
It seams it has the same specs.

http://www.mo-tech.de/anbauanleitung...07_093_200.pdf
mjtir1 is offline   Reply With Quote