Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #61
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHelm
My lower bar measured out to about 14 and 1/4". That's a considerable difference.
Any chance you got the wrong bar? I know there is a difference in the 1200 and 1150 bars, but I don't remember how big, or small, that difference is.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #62
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Any chance you got the wrong bar? I know there is a difference in the 1200 and 1150 bars, but I don't remember how big, or small, that difference is.

The rear cross bar comes in 2 different lengths, about 13.900" for the R11xx and 14.300" for the R1200. You may have the wrong hardware from the previous owner.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #63
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
My Micatechs....

Nothing beats them....wouldn't leave home without them. Service is second to none. They're so sturdy and of course fat...when a BMW 1200GS falls over it falls only to such an angle giving you enough leverage to bring the bike back up. Yes, I made my own larger lower rod in oder to make the cases sit a bit straighter up. Didn't realize that some others had a scuffing onto the final drive hub.

Have as now covered over 20,000 miles on the cases and they're still going strong; leak free.

I still have them now.....but with this..... ...painted bike and Micatechs as well....conspicuity

On the way to the Great White North...

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #64
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Nothing beats them....wouldn't leave home without them. Service is second to none. They're so sturdy and of course fat...when a BMW 1200GS falls over it falls only to such an angle giving you enough leverage to bring the bike back up. Yes, I made my own larger lower rod in oder to make the cases sit a bit straighter up. Didn't realize that some others had a scuffing onto the final drive hub.
You didnt happen to make a spare?????
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #65
Kenadian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Easy Fix

I found that a bit of adjustment here and there and removing the front mount from the rear passenger peg (right), putting it in a vise and bending it slightly, seems to have corrected the problem. I wish all problems were this easy to correct.

Ken
Kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #66
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
ghostsryder and Kenadian....Also In regard to not being able to insert the key for seat removal. I drilled a hole in the latch and swagged a ss wire that leads all the way under the rear rack to the stoplight area with a loop so that one can pull the seat latch with a finger to release the seat.

Another thing that is not mentioned in regard to things not faling out. Micatech also sells these 6 zipped canvas bags that fit precisely 3 per case into the cases. This is strictly for organizing your clothes and stuff. These canvas bags have handles on them. You simply open the case pick out the canvas bag you want to take with you...pretty neat...comes in color I think. Highly recommended...about a $ 100..(2007).
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #67
signit98
Nutcase... really!

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Another thing that is not mentioned in regard to things not faling out. Micatech also sells these 6 zipped canvas bags that fit precisely 3 per case into the cases. This is strictly for organizing your clothes and stuff. These canvas bags have handles on them. You simply open the case pick out the canvas bag you want to take with you...pretty neat...comes in color I think. Highly recommended...about a $ 100..(2007).
Or you could get the Eagle Creek Pack It system... much better and easier and you can use ii to EVERY trip you go one... I love that stuff.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessorie...ing_solutions/

Been there - already forgot about it...!

Follow my Journey, pursue insanity:

www.itwasnotme.com
signit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #68
ghostryder
made it

Quote:
ghostsryder and Kenadian....Also In regard to not being able to insert the key for seat removal. I drilled a hole in the latch and swagged a ss wire that leads all the way under the rear rack to the stoplight area with a loop so that one can pull the seat latch with a finger to release the seat.

Thanks but I use the vario liners that I bought when I had the original boxes. The beauty of the Michatechs is that I can carry rain gear, tools, compressor, spare coat etc with me and still have plenty of room. I love the cases it is just the banging that is getting to annoy me. I have no complaints whatsoever about there customer service, or there product. Every time I dealt with them they were noting but pleaseant and helpfull. Great people and great product.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #69
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
My complaint about Micatechs,I don't have a set yet and I can't
find a good used set for sale!!!
Yes,I have posted a want ad in the FM and bumped it.

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #70
ghostryder
made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada72
I did something similar, but no drilling. I Bought some SS picture hanging braided wire and aluminium crimps from Home Depot. I made one small loop to go around the actuator arm at the key latching mechanism (under the silver plastic cover) and ran it back out one of the holes that (I think) the BMW rack would attach to. No drilling, easy, clean, works.

I can post pics if that helps.
Sure
Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #71
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb micatechs huh?

well as you know...nothing is perfect. Every type of luggage system has its faults. Only buy the micatechs ....if you want as close to perfect as possible.

How do i know... been playn this bmw game foe 30 + yrs. Had lots of different systems. BTW, the mechanic shop I hang out at... well we see all kinds....and quess what.... yep the MT's are the choice made or the chioce to be made....simple enough?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #72
GH Wis
Just Go!

Oddometer: 7
Micatech

I have had other bags that were ok, but my Micatechs that I have had for 3 years now are the best by far. Great folks also.
They are my first choice.

http://glensimages.blogspot.com/
GH Wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #73
LeftCoastLefty
Long Time Lurker

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by signit98
Or you could get the Eagle Creek Pack It system... much better and easier and you can use ii to EVERY trip you go one... I love that stuff.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessorie...ing_solutions/
+1 for Eagle Creek. I use two medium Gear Boxes and a Drop Box. Clothes go in the Gear Boxes. A second pair of shoes (often dirty) go in the Drop Box. They work great.

-duane-
LeftCoastLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:09 AM   #74
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
Hey Nevada,

good to see you're getting things sorted!

i love a happy ending.

Can i add my support to the Eagle Creek packing bags? they're really, really good. also, with my pillion, i give her one small cube and tell her she can take as much as she wants as long as it fits in that cube. that's it.

sorry to hear your FD was dinged up. i sincerely hope you do worse to it and come up with a dirty face and smile when you're done!

let's all remember to consider Vern Worldbeaters before we start talking perfection.

http://www.projectvnd.com/photos.htm

if someone doesn't buy a set of these near me soon, I'LL be forced to buy a set.

and the fact that Micatechs look, as a previous poster mentioned, like old Smith-Corona typewriters cases.

come to think about it, the Verns look a bit like these too. nevermind. it was said about Micatechs first!
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 10:37 AM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #75
ghostryder
made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada72
As far as the customer service goes, while I was impressed at 1st, that fuzzy feeling wore off after the "not my customer" statement sunk in and communication became very brief. Lets also not forget that the solution was found here, on ADV, not by them.
Ya know I was thinking the same thing. Although you were not his original customer that shouldn't change his attitude towards you, and a poblem his product has. Glad things are working out though.