Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #76
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada72
I understand where he's coming from I guess, but it wasn't the level of customer service I was expecting based on other people's rave reviews. I suppose in these litigious days one needs to divest themselves of responsibility wherever possible.
yeah I guess, but I would hope that he would want to do whatever he could to help make the situation better. I honestly thought that I was the only one with the problem until you posted. I still havent had the time to go out and check the hardware and I am gonna admit im kinda worried to load them up and head out it with every good bump Im gonna get a ding on the FD. They are great people every time I had to deal with them, I hope the continue there great service.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #77
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Went out and "tweeked" the hardware a little bit and the bag now clears the FD. I remember having a drop about a year ago, and I guess it shifted it over just enough to catch the FD.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #78
BMWmeup
Krello

Oddometer: 5
Thumb Micatechs are GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH Wis
I have had other bags that were ok, but my Micatechs that I have had for 3 years now are the best by far. Great folks also.
They are my first choice.

http://glensimages.blogspot.com/
I've owned two different GS's and tried Vario cases before switching to Micatechs. They are super - easy to pack and stuff does not fall out because the door is @ 2 inches higher than the floor.
BMWmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #79
GSNH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Missed something

Where is the "not my customer" statement? I have read and re-read the thread and see no indication of Micatech customer service being anything other than completely helpful.

Quote:
wore off after the "not my customer" statement sunk in and communication became very brief. Lets also not forget that the solution was found here, on ADV, not by them.

www.ournhhome.org/1150GS.html

www.ournhhome.org/blog--riding blog
GSNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #80
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 216
Micatech All The Way Great Customer Service

I headed down to Hillsboro on November 12th to buy and mount my new Pilots. I had been emailing JoAnna for the first part of the week setting up my purchase and visit.

My friend Brook's (who took the day off to come with me) blasted on slab from Northwest VT. We arrived at the appointed time. JoAnna directed directed us to a overhead door for me to pull the GSA (still unnamed) into. When I pulled in, to the left of me on a bench was ALL the tools that we would need. In front on another bench was my new panniers and parts. The panniers just came out of powder coat. They looked gorgeous.

Shortly after we arrived Bob Gould, the owner and avid motorcycle enthusiast, came back from lunch. Brooks and I began the assembly process under the watchful eye of Bob. Bob stayed with us from beginning to end. He guided us through the process making sure we did everything correctly. He gently corrected us when we screwed something up. His thought process is that he'd rather have the owners do the installation so they understand the process. It works.

Also while we were there the folks involved in the manufacturing process came by watched and lent a hand. They obviously take pride in their work.

I can not think of the best superlative to describe the quality of the workmanship that goes into every piece of the product. Short of the locking system and bolts they manufacture everything in house. It is top end all of the way. American made. Great...Great...Great.

If you are undecided on what pannier system to buy. Buy Micatech. Top end customer service all the way. These cases are not flimsy as the BMW cases are. I know people rave about the Jesse's. Everyone has their preference. If you need or want to carry everything including the kitchen sink this is the way to go. Two full face helmets in a side case! I can go shopping at Costco with these bad boys!

Brooks and I left at 1:30. Total installation time 1.5 hours compared to the normal 2-2.5 hours. I can tell you without Bob's guidance it would have taken us a lot more time.
vtgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #81
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Pictures of Installed Micatech

Thought I'd post a few pics of the Micatech's that I mounted on my 09 GSA.

I put some reflective tape on the sides and the back. The necessary ADV sticker.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #82
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Inside "Farkle" of Micatech Case

I put some heavy duty Velcro loop on the inside of the right case on the door and bottom. I put the loop on a Pelican flashlight and pocket knife and attached them to the door. There is additional sections for future small items. I will probably place a small first aid case and other items that may be needed quickly or often.

I had a locking pistol case that I put loop on and placed on the bottom. I also have a waterproof box that I also positioned on the bottom. This holds smaller items and keeps the box from sliding or rattling.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #83
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Glow in the Dark

Lastly a picture of the setup at dusk showing how visible the set up is.

Again these Micatech's are great. I highly recommend them.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #84
JSD
old and crumbly

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Tomás
I wish I could fit my helmet into the right side case. I have an XL Arai that won't fit inside the right case as advertised.
Actually it should go in. I have an XXL Arai and have gotten mine in. Try differant ways until it goes into the back end of the case where it's widest. It is a little tight and might scuff, but should go.
JSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #85
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSD
Actually it should go in. I have an XXL Arai and have gotten mine in. Try differant ways until it goes into the back end of the case where it's widest. It is a little tight and might scuff, but should go.
Ya...it took some messing around, but I managed to get my full face XL into the right case with room to spare. I also was able to put my buddie's XXL Arai in there (no, not along with mine)

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #86
JFingers
carpe per diem

Oddometer: 77
Talking Hell yeah!

Quote:
Thought I would pass along that Micatech is having a 10% off sale through dec 18th.

Despite some misgivings, there still isn't another luggage system I would rather have. If you're on the fence maybe the 10% bump will motivate you.
Nevada, dude, you're the man! I've been just waiting and waiting, debating, worrying over the price. I think I'm sold. Calling tomorrow.
JFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #87
DirtMerchant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Thumb

I have had Micatech Pilot Cases on my R12GS for a couple years. Bob and Sue were great to deal with when I bought them and have gone above and beyond the call since that time in providing support for any issues and questions I've had.

The company and the bags are highly recommended
2011 R1200RT Polar
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #88
catsfive
30,000 kms since 2006

Oddometer: 258
I have a very early set of Micatech bags. Here are my experiences:

The bags are very well made of the best materials. Upon inspection, the bag walls strike you as too thin. I have found this to be extremely misleading, as the bags are surprisingly durable. The mounting points are strategically placed for strength. My bike has fallen over on several occasions and the bags have sustained little damage beyond a scratch. My most recent "oops" bent the pin at the join of the left side. It was a bitch to get out, let me tell you. I had to saw off the pin before taking the bags off and being able to unscrew the inside knob. But the bags were essentially undamaged. We had to drill out the pin, but it's back to working just like stock. My fault.

It's true the bags look like toasters. If your toasters are AWESOME, that is. Yes, they lack the clunky "Hummer" feel that the Touratech or BMW adventure bags have. These are not the bags for you if you're just trying to look like Ewan and Charlie. That's my opinion. I like the bags because they're tough and cavernous and they do hold my Arai XD3, although just barely.

I love that the cases can come off and be put on very quickly. I love that taking off the cases returns the bike to a very stock look. I personally like the bags' style. I like how the look on the bike:

The inside knobs secure the bags to the mounting billets. They often intrude on what you are putting inside the bags. They are not obscenely large, however, and I replaced them with allen bolts that have a threaded head at the top. Big improvement.

Their customer service is amazing. Flat out. Sue or Bob will bend over backwards for you.

Glad to read that I can open the seat with a wire gimp arrangement. SCORE!

I am buying one of their topcases, a small. I can't wait.

C5
1980 Vespa P200E (Yin)
"Where I'm going, you cannot follow." - Marko Ramius

RESPEK. It's not even in the dictionary anymore.
catsfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #89
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
your attempt not to look like 'long way 'rounders' has failed.

you still look a lot like Charlie.

Ewan, not so much.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #90
sh2515
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
What is the max weight that can be carried by the pilot panniers? can't find it on the website, google or instructions. They seem so practical but look horrible, personally, however practical takes over looks.