Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #91
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2515
What is the max weight that can be carried by the pilot panniers? can't find it on the website, google or instructions. They seem so practical but look horrible, personally, however practical takes over looks.
If you find out, please don't tell me.

I routinely load mine up to the point that I can barely get the doors closed.
Spread your arms and hold you breath
And always trust your cape (Guy Clark)
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #92
Micatech
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2515
What is the max weight that can be carried by the pilot panniers? can't find it on the website, google or instructions. They seem so practical but look horrible, personally, however practical takes over looks.
We don't specify a max load but we do recommend you check your bike's owners manual. That being said we've been stuffing the bags with heavy tools and other gear for years without any problems.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #93
p3chief
Start'n Over

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsfive View Post
I have a very early set of Micatech bags. Here are my experiences:

The bags are very well made of the best materials. Upon inspection, the bag walls strike you as too thin. I have found this to be extremely misleading, as the bags are surprisingly durable. The mounting points are strategically placed for strength. My bike has fallen over on several occasions and the bags have sustained little damage beyond a scratch. My most recent "oops" bent the pin at the join of the left side. It was a bitch to get out, let me tell you. I had to saw off the pin before taking the bags off and being able to unscrew the inside knob. But the bags were essentially undamaged. We had to drill out the pin, but it's back to working just like stock. My fault.

It's true the bags look like toasters. If your toasters are AWESOME, that is. Yes, they lack the clunky "Hummer" feel that the Touratech or BMW adventure bags have. These are not the bags for you if you're just trying to look like Ewan and Charlie. That's my opinion. I like the bags because they're tough and cavernous and they do hold my Arai XD3, although just barely.

I love that the cases can come off and be put on very quickly. I love that taking off the cases returns the bike to a very stock look. I personally like the bags' style. I like how the look on the bike:

The inside knobs secure the bags to the mounting billets. They often intrude on what you are putting inside the bags. They are not obscenely large, however, and I replaced them with allen bolts that have a threaded head at the top. Big improvement.

Their customer service is amazing. Flat out. Sue or Bob will bend over backwards for you.

Glad to read that I can open the seat with a wire gimp arrangement. SCORE!

I am buying one of their topcases, a small. I can't wait.

C5
You have hit the nail on the head..... these bags are AWESOME.........They may look like toasters to some, but the Zega's, Jessies, and BMW' Syst. Bags look like ammo cases. The Pilots look like they are going at least 85 mph on the side stand. Anyone who owns the Micatecs know that stuff falling out of the bags are not a problem. The advantage of these bags (side opening) far outweigh a top loader, the packing options are so much more flexible than the top loaders, less rain entering the bag when raining and none of the top loaders mounting systems can compare the beautiful mounting system of the Micatec's. Bob and Sue provide unequalled customer service and stand behind an outstanding AMERICAN product. Well Worth the price!
p3chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #94
proxyissues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Small note for fellow inmates. Use thread locker on ALL screws that you use.
The screw holding the rubber block that the bags slide into near footrest fell out and is now held in place with a twist tie until I can find (or order next season) a replacement.
proxyissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #95
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxyissues View Post
Small note for fellow inmates. Use thread locker on ALL screws that you use.
The screw holding the rubber block that the bags slide into near footrest fell out and is now held in place with a twist tie until I can find (or order next season) a replacement.
I lost one as well. Micatech sent me a replacement and hardware with no questions asked.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #96
The Hag
Daily rider

Oddometer: 22
Micatech max weight

My MT Pilot cases have taken a beating over the last 5 years and are on my second GS. On a trip my wife and I took to McCarthy, AK, and Inuvik, N.W.T., and points in between, (from California) the Pilot cases weighed about 42 pounds each (that's loaded inside and top-side including the case itself). We had no problems, and the cases don't sag inward.

I've made very minor mods to make it even easier to tie stuff to the top with a pillion rider, and deflect the hot exhaust off the case. I'll try to remember to post pics later.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #97
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
So I got to this thread from another Panier-related thread that discussed lowering the GS's exhaust for more room. It looks like this isn't necessary or even possible with the Pilots as there is a recessed area on the left side.

I also learned that Micatech is a very short ride away from me (next state over) which is helpful should I find my self out on a TOR (and come home with a new set of bags) ;-)

I definitely get the benefit of side loading bags that don't let things fall out on extended trips.

Jul 30 - Ready to go
(Not a GS)

Great thread.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #98
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post
discussed lowering the GS's exhaust for more room. It looks like this isn't necessary or even possible with the Pilots as there is a recessed area on the left
You can order the left case without the recess to gain some additional storage space....that requires lowering the exhaust.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #99
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
But, what about the key? My adventure bags (also Vario bags) use the bike BMW key. What about the Micatech?

I also have a XB12XT Buell that uses a separate key for the bags. You cannot leave the bags unlocked and must use the key for any open/close operation. I find this system maddening.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #100
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
But, what about the key? My adventure bags (also Vario bags) use the bike BMW key. What about the Micatech?
A second key isn't confusing at all. It looks different, even in the dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I also have a XB12XT Buell that uses a separate key for the bags. You cannot leave the bags unlocked and must use the key for any open/close operation. I find this system maddening.
I leave my Micatech bags unlocked most of the time, even while riding. That way I don't need to unlock them for access at stops.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #101
WANNABEEmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I start liking them a lot can anyone give the wide of them, when mounted on a 1200GS/A Talking about the pilot ones
cm
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #102
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABEEmer View Post
I start liking them a lot can anyone give the wide of them, when mounted on a 1200GS/A Talking about the pilot ones
cm
They're about 38.5" wide, edge to edge. They're so practical, you're going to be very pleased.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #103
WANNABEEmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
thanks!!! will take them in consideration.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #104
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Closing the loop (I forgot I'd posted in here).

I went from this:

to this:

And now things like this:

Don't worry me at all. . .

These things are built like a tank.

I love my Micatechs!

Really liked meeting Bob & Sue at their factory when I rode out there last month to do the install.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #105
Contigocoffeedawg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Micatech cases? Sizes of the V2's.

I have been looking at the V2 cases for my Super Tenere.

Any thoughts regarding size, storage space, or lack thereof?

I went to the factory and spoke with both Sue and Bob. Bob had said that any number of people go with one ten-inch case and one eight inch case. I've seen any number of images on this forum attesting to that.

Are two ten inch cases overkill? I'd like to be able to store boots, leathers, rain gear and the like, turn a key, lock everything and not be overly concerned with things getting stolen. (Up until now I have used soft luggage which has been great in lots of ways, but I've never felt like I could walk away from the bike without running the risk of things being taken, especially in the city.)

Feedback from those of you who have lived with your Micatechs know better than I do what has worked well for you.

Thanks for any comments in advance.

Charlie
Contigocoffeedawg is offline   Reply With Quote