Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #106
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,051
I have two 8" cases and would go with the 10" and 8" for that extra storage capacity, especially if you're looking to store your boots in the cases. Get them at the factory and ride home.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #107
tkb
Mr. Britten's bike

Oddometer: 176
Micatech outstanding quality

1. The quality of built and fit is excellent
2. Cleverly made so that nothing falls out when side door opened
3. You can get into the bags with a duffel packed across the top of the bags
4. Easy off and on
5. Rugged
6. Great company and splendid customer support.

I've had a set of Pilot cases on my 2006 R1200GS for several years and cannot fault them.
tkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #108
Haydon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I love the Micatech bags, huge, rugged, look good, functional, nothing falls out, pleant of space, carry a heavy load, etc....., like the bullet mounting setup (although I do have concerns about the front peg support tab breaking, don't like the seat lock hinderance (glad to find the wire trick), and my only REAL COMPLAINT is the locking meachanism is very weak. The key turns a small tab that is supposed to prevent the handle from being opened and turned. My eight year old son could probably pull with enough force to open the latch. I have not seriously put it to the test, but when I went to a locksmith for a backup key, he was quite surprised by the 'weak' locking meachnism.

It would be great if Micatech could come up with a MORE SECURE locking mechanism (maybe seperate handle and secure locking arm - wait I might have just given myself an idea...), and the ability to re-key would be nice.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #109
gonzo2k
Adliberator

Oddometer: 288
Pilots on my 04 GSA for four years...never a problem.
A 30 pack drops into the right bag with room to spare.

Smugmug referral code: b39gXpEl6klcs
gonzo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #110
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 330
Top Case

I'm thinking of ordering the medium sized Top Case. They are 53 litres versus Jesse's at 45 litres.

E-mailed Micatech in regards to delivery to Canada and they got back to me the next day. Very good response with answers to all my questions and possible delivery times.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #111
OurBC
Live to Travel

Dealing with Susan at Micatech by email, very prompt response with answers to all my questions.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #112
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 382
Here is my fix to the key thing,all at your local hard wear store! Got to get the seat off for more tools and heat gear...bunggie buddies for sitting in the dirt.. More loops on top..
Would not trade them for nutton!!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #113
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBC View Post
I'm thinking of ordering the medium sized Top Case. They are 53 litres versus Jesse's at 45 litres.

E-mailed Micatech in regards to delivery to Canada and they got back to me the next day. Very good response with answers to all my questions and possible delivery times.
Picked up a medium top case last year for a 10 day 2-up trip we did up into Nova Scotia. It literally saved our marriage.

Love the fact that it can be opened and closed without a key. The case we had before needed a key Every. Freaking. Time. SCS. Needed. To. Get. In. And. Out. Of. The. Case. God bless her.

Best part is Bob matched our existing keys to the new top case cylinder so when we did want to lock it we wouldn't need yet another key.

Can't beat their customer service.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #114
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylongway View Post
Here is my fix to the key thing,all at your local hard wear store! Got to get the seat off for more tools and heat gear...bunggie buddies for sitting in the dirt.. More loops on top..
Would not trade them for nutton!!
Nice job but that's a lot of work to get at the seat key. No need to do any mods to the cases, all you need is to run a wire from the seat lock mechanism back to the front of the rear wheel well.. I had a wire running there and all you need to do is to pull the wire to release the seat. All I had under the seat was a fuzeblock so I really didn't need to have regular access to the under the seat area.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #115
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,252
I'm in the process of ordering a set of Pilot cases for my Rallye (black case, white door) and am pretty stoked. I've only ever had side-loading luggage but these Micatech panniers look much more practical than my Givis or Hondaline luggage. I'm still trying to decide on a topcase (the Caribou/Pelican cases look good) but as I do most of my chores with a bike and haul stuff around I figure the big Pilot cases are perfect.

Can't wait, will post pics!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #116
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Nice job but that's a lot of work to get at the seat key. No need to do any mods to the cases, all you need is to run a wire from the seat lock mechanism back to the front of the rear wheel well.. I had a wire running there and all you need to do is to pull the wire to release the seat. All I had under the seat was a fuzeblock so I really didn't need to have regular access to the under the seat area.
Like this:

Drill hole small hole into seat key latch. Route SS wire through it and fasten using swage; lead wire aft under rear seating area and pick your desireable exit.

Make another swaged loop but cover loop with tubing for ease on finger pull.

Sturdy??

Hard crash...#600 (+-) bike totally atop this case and only a dent; no crack; no flying off the case from it's brackets..Congrats Micatech.

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #117
Geografo
Lost Armadillo in Heat

Oddometer: 151
Micatech Durability

I can vouch on Micatech durability, from hard experience. On a trip to Port Aransas two summers ago I took the cases off to leave in the hotel room. On the return trip, I forgot to tighten the mounts completely, and had a rude awakening about 1/4 mile from the hotel exit at 45 mph. Thought the muffler had fallen off, or the dreaded final drive blowup. Stopped the bike and saw the Micatechs about 100 yards behind us, and an ambulance stopped behind it. The stabilizer bar was bent badly, and there were a few scrapes on the panniers, but that was it. Stopped in town to borrow a hammer and wrenches from a guy repairing those electric beach buggies they rent to tourists to gad about town, bent the bar back into reasonable shape, used ratchet straps to ensure it stayed on, and then finished straightening out the stabilizer bar when I got home. No problems since.

Last Friday, I dropped it in the parking lot doing about 15-20 mph (it was empty, except for the construction workers who were leaving the lot, when one starts backing up, which caused me to veer, which is when I hit sand left in the parking spaces by muddy cars on wet days), with the bike skidding on its side 15-20 feet on top of the left-side bag. This time the damage was worse, and I couldn't get the left-side open without prying it open. The top lip was ground down somewhat, but I bent it back and was able to get it open again. I'll send an image showing the damage to the case when I get one. All-in-all though, I would say the damage is minimal considering that a 500+ lb bike slid for a way on top of it, and on pavement, no less.

Current Rides: 2007 R1200 GS

Past Rides:

1972 Yamaha 60 Mini-Enduro
1971 Yamaha 125 Enduro
1974 Suzuki GT 750 "Water Buffalo"--like a true water buffalo, big and heavy, but deceptively fast
2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883 (traded-in on Corolla...)
Geografo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #118
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Ya, I know about the string trick,The only thing w/ that is any one can come along and pull the string and take off w/ my 600 $ seat . Freaky I know ,thats just me.Must have been the 2 vehicles that got ripped off.............
Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #119
Kenadian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Be sure to lock them!

I LOVE my Micatech cases. I would advise locking them before riding, however. It was probably operator error, but one opened on a recent ride and I lost all of my cloths (expect the ones I was wearing). I almost aways lock them, just to be sure they don't open under weigh, but stopped in a rest area to put a sweater on and forgot. I may not have had the latch fully engaged and by the time I realized the case was open, $600 worth of cloths were gone, never to be found. I totally blame myself and not the bags, but be mindful. It is amazing how quickly the cost of all that quick drying, super not smelly, cooler than cool, warmer than warm shit can add up. Maybe I will start travelling with shitty old cloths from a thrift store and throw them out (or leave my bag open) when they get dirty.

The Emperor

Ken
Kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #120
OurBC
Live to Travel

Unfortunately Susan gave me some bad news, the Micatech Top Case does not fit my R 1150 GS. Had to order Jesse Safari Top Box from Dual Sport Plus, they service Canada and had everything in stock.