User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
juniorsktm OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Two 950's the TAT and for cause

Well fellow ADVer's I suppose it's time! After over a year of planning, spending, and spending some more it's time!!!!

First, let me introduce you to the "what's goin' down" of this particular trip. Over a year ago I decided I was getting a little burned out and tired of racing harescrambles and the like, when my AMA American Motorcyclist magazine came in the mail and there were these two curious dudes on the cover promoting a "Long Way Down" movie. I immediately turned to my wife and said, "honey, this is it! I have found what I am searching for!" She immediately dismissed me as an idiot and said, "you aren't going around the world.........have you lost your mind!?" Well, not across the world I proceeded to expand, but rather a big adventure on a dirt bike. How cool is that? So I can assume you know the rest of this "bug" so I will skip to the good stuff.

It was not very soon after that I sold off some of my beloved KTM's and replaced them with an 950 Adventure. For me it will be the perfect bike for this trip. I have plenty of offroad experience and have learned to ride this jewel like I hate it. What a machine! Now, I needed a place to go.......
Searching through the internet I came upon ADV! Now I have gone straight to the source of my addiction and I can't get enough. The learning and the ride reports, WOW! So anyhow this is where I came across the TAT. I now have my afore mentioned trip. Now I need the time and since I feel blessed to be self employed, I found the time. Yeah baby!

So I want to explain the "cause" part of this trip. In the begining I was just going to do the whole TAT by myself. Since I am an insurance broker and in the health side of things we work very closely with AFLAC, you know the duck. Anyhow, I was talking with some buddies at the office and they said why don't you try and raise some money for the kids at the Childrens Health Care of Altanta, specifically the Aflac Children's Cancer Center. I already donate each month to the center, so I went in search of a way to do this. I pitched the idea and they loved it! Next thing was how? So the Aflac Cancer Center (CHOA) built a website and I started spreading the word. You may have seen my post in trip planning. Well, UPS stepped up and made a large donation and many, many generous folk from here and everywhere started giving! People a great! At this time we have generated over $7,000 and we haven't left yet!

www.choa.kintera.org/transamerica

Please note, I am fully funding my own trip! 100% of all donations go to the Cancer Center! This is about the kids. Period. I just happen to be one of those that feel strongly about giving back and helping.

So let's move on shall we?

About six months ago, I met a another ADVer, Mile0321. For those of you that have served this guy was a Marine Recon and served in Iraq in 2003-2005.( Hence the 0321) Thanks brother for serving! Well he decides he wants to go with me and wholla, now I have a riding partner. (Not to mention a younger and more fit riding partner )

After Elton learns of my fund raising we were able to get to working on a cause for him. This was easy, The Wounded Warrior Project. He has already raised a great deal of money for the men who have served! Pretty cool huh?

My man and I are leaving July 1st from the Childrens Cancer Center at 10:00ish. You see they are giving us a nice send off and we have some Marines who will be present there as well representing the Wounded Warrior Project. Pretty exciting! This trip has really grown to not only satisfy our own need for adventure but we are really having an impact on others! All I can say is WOW!

Now for the trip:

We got busy this week changing tires and prepping the bikes. Here is Elton adjusting to the Georgia heat while changing tires, haha!

I quick pic of the bike in the shop:

My dog Lilly watching Elton's technique........shes my shop buddy, not helpful but really cute!

My bike with the donor's decals and wesites:

Elton and I will be sharing the reporting duties while on our trip and we really hope you all will tag along and share our adventure this summer. This is a first for us both and I am confident it will be a good read!

Thanks for droppin' in on our Adventure and we will see you soon.

BTW, if you go to this link you can track our progress through SPOT

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0oDBFbO8lTpjrHSHa3xDSWk3L4XEZyjGz

Talk at ya' in a few days................3 and counting!

Elton is at a bachelor party this weekend (not his) so we will have his site link and bike pics up shortly........

Peace,
Frank

juniorsktm screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 05:18 PM
juniorsktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Sounds like a great adventure and a worthy cause

Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Any thing I can do to assist on the East Tn end of the TAT? Expecting Questor and Ridergirl Monday. Have a Great Ride. Andy
Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
juniorsktm OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Fuzz! Will keep you in mind and I appreciate the hospitality!

Can't wait, should be some good times!

Frank
Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
mile0321
Recon Marine

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for the intro Frank

Just got back from Lake Martin, what a blast. Chimney Rock aint so tall So I'm turning 25 on the 30th! After working hard at school & work it was time for a summer trip! I met Frank through our regional forum about six months ago & he told me about the TAT. I let Frank know I would join him, but I'm not sure how long it took him to realize I was serious, because every time we rode he would ask me if I was going.

Were really looking forward to this ride report. We will do our best to shove in lots of pics and video (helmet cam) to keep you updated. I also felt motivated to give back to some of my brothers in arms by supporting the Wounded Warrior Project.

My name is Elton Mile and I proudly served four years with the Marines of 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion. I made it through my tour of duty safely, but sadly many brave young men and women bare a much larger burden in defending our country. I have personally witnessed fallen comrades struggles to cope with their injuries sustained in combat. The Wounded Warrior Project’s objective is to provide tangible support for the severely wounded and help them on the road to healing, both physically and mentally. The Wounded Warrior Project brings these brave individuals support beyond the brass bands and ticker tape parades.

My goal is to raise $10,000 dollars in the five weeks it will take us to reach the coast of Oregon. Large or small, every donation helps. Let's unite America in support of our wounded soldiers!

In no way will I receive any personal contributions for my trip. This is 100% non-profit.

Wounded Warriors need our help. Thank you for taking part in their recovery.

Teaser from our N GA rides...

mile0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Have fun guys.

Looking forward to following your trip.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
! You guys ride safe.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Great write up guys. Wished I could go along with ya but I'll just have to stick around for another TAT report!

Is the sending off party open to the public?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
juniorsktm OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, absolutely! The send off party is at the Children's Healthcare Of Atlanta at Egelston (Near Emory) 10:00 am

Not sure what all they are doing, but it should be nice with the patients and everyone. Long way from Dawsonville in morning traffic, but it would be cool to see you! We will have plenty of pics........

That Blueridge Racing tool kit look hot doesn't it?

Frank
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
mile0321
Recon Marine

The send off will be open to everyone and will begin wed. morning at 10:00 a.m. at:

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston
1405 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322-1062
404-785-6000 (Dekalb County)

Family, friends, and all riders alike are invited to support us and the children.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
mile0321
Recon Marine

Haha... what he said. We will try not to be redundant on our report, but it will be interesting to see two riders point of view throughout the sights, scenes, and obstacles along the way.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
good job frank & elton. i cant wait.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
juniorsktm OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
good job frank & elton. i cant wait.
Browner,
You da man! See you at the Adairsville site around noon wednesday! I am so ready I can't sleep!

Cya!
Frank
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
danno626
Boom goes the dynamite!

Oddometer: 106
Wwr

Mile0321...just curious being a Marine....why would you donate to Wounded Warrior Project, an Army based unit instead of Wounded Warrior Regiment or Wounded Warrior Battalion East/West? Either way it is a great cause!! Thanks.

Danno (former Executive Officer of Wounded Warrior Battalion West)

Danno
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
2011 Husaberg FE 570 S
danno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorsktm
Browner,
You da man! See you at the Adairsville site around noon wednesday! I am so ready I can't sleep!

Cya!
Frank
ME 2 FM, ME 2
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote