Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Oddometer: 92
Talking Arizona to Argentina

TOPES photo IMG_0269_zps1517f3b6.jpg

Hello Everyone...
So finally my journey has begun.. first I'd like to thank everyone here for posting up some wonderful trip reports.. that have in the end inspired my travels!
So Here it goes.. I have completed my first leg of travel from Phoenix to Hermosillo Sonora, Mexico... Below is my first video.. I am still working on this video publishing thing.. I have to admit that i am a computer dinosaur so it takes me forever to edit and then learn how to upload and post these things to Facebook, my blog www.aventura-moto.com and of-course here on ADV rider..

So since ADV rider is kind of a tech-post heaven.. My equipment is a 2002 R1150GS Adv.. With 67K miles... I have done all the maintenance.. will carry the basic tools needed, some basic spares... etc.. Mods are HT panniers, a top case, front tank saddle bags.. and a tank bag with chargers and electronics.. + a spare TKC80 hanging off the back.. I'll try to do a video format for my blogs.. So watch the videos to get the full story!

LEAVING PHOENIX

Manuelsv screwed with this post 06-25-2014 at 01:12 PM
Manuelsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 723
ManuelSV,

All the best for an amazing journey, hopefully you will post your ride report and lots of pics here on Adv.

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
VancandZosyn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
How long you been hanging on to that XMas tree? Looking forward to your reports...
VancandZosyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
flyinturbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Good luck on the ride... I know where you left from, I used to live close!
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
HMMWV
Makin Dust

Oddometer: 22
Man, you just headed out on the section of the 202 that I have to drive to work each day. Gonna make it tough to ride that in the AM knowing you are headed (way) south, and I'll be going to work. Have a great trip and I'll be following from the east side.
HMMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Holy Crap! I can't believe you made me watch 11 minutes of freeway riding in AZ. Let's see some good stuff. Ride Safe.
Johnnydarock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
Holy Crap! I can't believe you made me watch 11 minutes of freeway riding in AZ. Let's see some good stuff. Ride Safe.
Sorry... I'm new to this video editing.. I hope to get better as I go along...
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Crossing into Mexico!

Tomorrow I hope to ride from Hermosillo to Aconchi, Sonora this is a 2-3 hour ride up into the Sierra Madre mountains.. and should get me out of the dessert heat! It's supposed to be beautiful up there!

Manuelsv screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 11:55 AM
Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
RSHarris
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Good luck and stay safe. I will be checking every night for your next report. So cool. Life gets so complicated to just ride off, Your a lucky man and will talk about this to your grand kids.
RSHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Wink Hermosillo.. Cathedral Ride. and Bacanora + Saguaripa

May 6th…

photo IMG_0222_zps5acd8b5e.jpg

I spent the last week in the company of Family Staying at my uncle and aunt in Hermosillo mostly helping around the house and having fun with my cousins, then having a beer or two with my uncle..

photo IMG_0219_zps5ebf3711.jpg

I also had a chance to spend some time with some old friends, Miriam Roberto and Fabiola.

photo IMG_0216_zps7e2fcfd3.jpg

photo IMG_0207_zps1adea5e2.jpg

Last weekend we went to the “Aguas Calientes” Thermal water pools in the town of Aconchi. It was a beautiful place and we had a great time.

photo IMG_0218_zpsa4c3974b.jpg

photo IMG_0236_zpsda3f131e.jpg

photo IMG_0225_zps380bcc7d.jpg

2 very nice surprises happened to me this week.

The first; I got on FB to let my friend Alba who lives in Mexico City=DF, to let her know that I would be very late in getting to visit her, and that I only had just made it to Hermosillo so we would have to plan for a later time for me to arrive in DF. To my surprise, she replied.. HERMOSILLO ?? I am on a bus 30 min from town and I catch a flight at 6PM! So of course I borrowed my uncle’s car and went to get her and to take her to the airport. It turns out she was filming a documentary about a 90+ year old fisherwoman! Who still goes out fishing every day and lives in a village in the Indigenous community of the Yaqui tribe.

Alba has been my friend for 10+ years and I had not seen her since the days when we and our friend Astrid used to run wild in France, being the party Kings of Montpellier, and also running around Paris, drinking all night and crossing Paris looking for fun, then the girls would help me sneak into the girl’s dorm at the Sorbone! Oh the good old days! Anyhow we decided that we will go wild in Mexico City and that I definitely have to spend a week or two there.. !

The second surprise of the week was that our 3rd musketeer, Astrid, who is now an archeologist with the “Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia” = INAH, also contacted me to let me know that she was working on a dig in Puerto Libertad about 4 hours from here on the beach… So I prepared my things and was about to hit the road to visit her when she said.. wait.. They are sending me to Hermosillo for the weekend, and then to Sahuaripa in the Sierra mountains to another Archeological site.. So we meet here in Hermosillo and she introduced me to her colleagues over some beers in the historical district.. In the end I was invited to tag along with them to the mountains and to check out the archeological dig with them! So I took them up on their offer and we left the following Monday!

On the way to Saguaripa

And Some Pics!

Bacanora 2 photo IMG_0277_zpsc1df0f94.jpg

Fiona photo IMG_0279_zpse2f4dafc.jpg

My Lunch Friend! Fideo!

photo IMG_0285_zpsc4884ac4.jpg

photo IMG_0286_zpsb586c82c.jpg

Sahuaripa photo IMG_0270_zpsb8b1a3ce.jpg

I also had a chance to stop in a little tiny town called Bacanora.. Famous for it's moonshine!

Bacanora photo IMG_0273_zps0aadfe8f.jpg

photo IMG_0272_zpscb5a8784.jpg

Manuelsv screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 07:37 PM
Old 05-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancandZosyn View Post
How long you been hanging on to that XMas tree? Looking forward to your reports...
I was saving it for next Xmass but I'll be on the road! I loved that tree!!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 807
I am in joining you on your trip in here. This year is my last year reading riding report as I am 12 months away from my departing date for Alaska-Argentina trip.

Tu tiene un buen viaje!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Guaymas, San Carlos, Sonora. Mexico

On my way from Hermosillo to Cd. Obregon, I took a little detour thru Guaymas and San Carlos.

photo IMG_0287_zps6fda3f49.jpg

photo IMG_0289_zps70303671.jpg

San Carlos is a great diving place, I have spent a lot of time on thi beach since it is the closest nice Mexican beach to Arizona. Rocky point is in fact the closest Mexican beach to Arizona, but it's often full of drunk kids and it has a border town feel to it.

photo IMG_0291_zpsdfbd81d6.jpg

San Carlos has much better diving, and overall the feel is of a clean and nice beach town, not a tourist trap like Rocky Point.

photo IMG_0292_zpsf8874c12.jpg

On this video I drive across San Carlos and end up on a dirt road taking me to "La Manga"a small fisherman's village where you can have awesome food that is caught right there next to the restaurant and is always super fresh and cheap! Enjoy!

photo IMG_0290_zpsad7de4c8.jpg

photo IMG_0294_zps7f0df85f.jpg

Manuelsv screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 01:24 PM
Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

Leaving Obregon, Sonora.

Hello It's been a while since I post up, So I spent a week at my Grandmother's house in Obregon, sonora. Had a chance to spend mother's day with Mom and Grandma, and see all the family. It was a great time to see old friends and say goodbie to everyone in town. Just a short video of leving town!

Fiona had been resting for a whole week in my grandma's back yard... and it was finally really nice to get her on the road again!
Bye Grandma,.... Bye Mom... Don't worry I'll drive safe..
Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Manuelsv OP
Traveling South

TOLL JUMPING and OFFROADING THE BEAST

In Mexico there are National highways "La Libre" and Tollways which are US style highways with 4 lanes. They are generally much nicer, don't have many topes, and are safer.
The catch is that they are expensive! If I was to pay every toll from the northern border to the southern border I would spend as much on tolls as I would on gas for my motorcycle.. So I am going Toll Free!
I try to take the "Libre" every time, but sometimes the tolls can not be avoided.. Except if you get a little creative.. Always ask a local.. Is there a toll ahead? and How can I bypass it? They will be more than happy to help since everone hates the tolls!
Usually people will tell you: "don't pay.... they are thieves!" Tolls are super expensive and they never fix the roads! Anyhow here is a little video of me TOLL JUMPING! Enjoy!

TOLL AVOIDED! And Had some fun doing it!