ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #31
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,824
She looks great Yossi.

How did you galvanize the frame? I hope it wasn't hot dipped.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #32
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
She looks great Yossi.

How did you galvanize the frame? I hope it wasn't hot dipped.
Pauline Hanson "Please Explain" ?

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #33
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,824
I worked for a marine and civil construction company and we used to get a lot of stuff hot dipped and if it was lightly built it would warp from the heat.

I would think a motorcycle frame would warp if exposed to that kind of heat a as well but I'm normally wrong about these things.

Yossi how did you stop the head stem bearing seating surfaces from getting coated by the zinc coating.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
jossef OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 29
I gave the frame to a shop which does metal coating like anodization, passivation, crome etc'. I did the cold galvanization- coating thickness of 30 microns merged in electrolite. The bearing surfaces can be masked not problem. But remember if you galvanized you need to use the right chemistry for the painting, otherwise its great and gives good rust protection to the frame.

Yossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
I worked for a marine and civil construction company and we used to get a lot of stuff hot dipped and if it was lightly built it would warp from the heat.

I would think a motorcycle frame would warp if exposed to that kind of heat a as well but I'm normally wrong about these things.

Yossi how did you stop the head stem bearing seating surfaces from getting coated by the zinc coating.

jossef screwed with this post 07-07-2009 at 01:05 AM
jossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #35
dylandr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dylandr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 204
Thumb



Jossef... That frame looks KICKASS! Great thread! Keep it up!
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #36
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jossef
I gave the frame to a shop which does metal coating like anodization, passivation, crome etc'. I am not sure if they did the hot or the cold galvanization I can check this with them. The bearing surfaces can be masked not problem. But remember if you galvanized you need to use the right chemistry for the painting, otherwise it great and gives good rust protection to the frame.

Yossi
Its a good idea to galvanize the frame if i was still in Scotland i would definitely galvanize the frame.
You would need to use a decent etch primer if you where going to paint over the zinc.

I wonder what a dr would look like with a chrome frame and engine.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #37
jossef OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 29
Hi Joe
The frame was cold galvanized ( merged in electrolite about 30 microns coating thickness)

Yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Its a good idea to galvanize the frame if i was still in Scotland i would definitely galvanize the frame.
You would need to use a decent etch primer if you where going to paint over the zinc.

I wonder what a dr would look like with a chrome frame and engine.
jossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #38
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,824
cheers Yossi i think i might look into doing that as well.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #39
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
HI Yossi,

Two questions on galvanized, did you plug the breather holes in the frame or did you let it inside ? and can you still read your chasis/frame number ?

Regards,

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #40
jossef OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 29
1- No I didn't plug anything when zinced. Zinc thickness is between 10 -30 microns depends on how much you want.
2- You need to plug threads and bearing surfaces only during powder coating (50-80 microns)
3-you can read the number, what made a problem is the powder coat

Yossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
HI Yossi,

Two questions on galvanized, did you plug the breather holes in the frame or did you let it inside ? and can you still read your chasis/frame number ?

Regards,

Mezo.
jossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #41
jossef OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
cheers Yossi i think i might look into doing that as well.

Just remember when you do it like this you go on regular painting (spraying) with proper etch primer and not powder coat.
Yoss
jossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #42
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
I had my mate come over tonight, we sat & had a couple of drinks looking at the frame sat on the table, i talked about this particular thread, id mentioned Yossi & the problems with paint after dipping etc.

My mate looked at me & said "Chrome" has any one done that ? has any one chromed the DR frame yet ? what an idea though.

My mind is set on white, but now ive read Yossi`s thread & dipping, there are so many types of metal treatment out there, its just up to your own imagination.

Haa, i can see the gold plated DR650 pimp bike, "bling bling"

Im kidding on the gold plate.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #43
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
I think chroming would be pretty difficult and expensive.

Doing it in a chrome like powder coat however would not be a problem and only increase the cost a bit. It generally needs a base coat and clear coat on top.

EastwoodCo and Caswell both sell it if your local powdercoated can't get it.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #44
Mezo
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane,Australia.
Oddometer: 2,129
Ah well Lukas thats the thing, the friend that said that also said "I have a mate of mine just 2k down the road from where were sitting who chromes motorcycle frames"

I said "Aww yeah"

So expense aside, my mate knows a bloke just a mile down the road that chromes frames (id imagine they must be Harley boys) and if Tony pie says "do a proper job its me mates bike" id get a "proper job" and getting a proper job is worth its weight.

Sorry Yossi, your the first to dip ones frame so its a bit of a talk subject.

THREAD HIJACK

Mezo.

Oh yeah forgot,,,,


Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
I think chroming would be pretty difficult and expensive.

Doing it in a chrome like powder coat however would not be a problem and only increase the cost a bit. It generally needs a base coat and clear coat on top.

EastwoodCo and Caswell both sell it if your local powdercoated can't get it.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #45
selecus
--------
 
selecus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 80
Very cool, subscribed!
selecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014