Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
is there a vintage bike insurance?

hi guys,

i several vintage bikes and id like to ride each a little every summer.

im in the state of michigan, and motorcycle insurance used to be $26, then they eliminated six month policies in michigan as a money maker. and then the state catastrophic fund added a bunch. so like $250 per bike per year. so the price causes me to insure just one bike per year.

im wondering if anyone has a "rarely ridden" vintage insurance policy for a fleet of motorcycles?

thanks guys
meijer's trails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
slipjoint
Engraver

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer's trails View Post
hi guys,

i several vintage bikes and id like to ride each a little every summer.

im in the state of michigan, and motorcycle insurance used to be $26, then they eliminated six month policies in michigan as a money maker. and then the state catastrophic fund added a bunch. so like $250 per bike per year. so the price causes me to insure just one bike per year.

im wondering if anyone has a "rarely ridden" vintage insurance policy for a fleet of motorcycles?

thanks guys
I keep my vintage bikes with Hagerty - they will insure 1982 & older - I have full coverage - no deductible - agreed value - my 80' R100 = $114.00 year - my 1979 r65 = $103.00 ------ You might save more if you don't get full coverage I think i have heard a couple guys say in the 50/60 dollar range per year? My very nice 1930 Model = $125.00 1918 T Touring = $135.00 - you can get a free quote on line - tom
slipjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 694
You might try ....

....American Collector's Insurance 1-800-360-2277

I kept an old Ironhead Sportster insured thru them for $67/yr. No comprehensive or collision..

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
another one to try

Rick Parsons Cycleinsure 800-800-0965

www.cycleinsure.com rick@cycleinsure.com
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Check with Haggerty, they are very reasonable, and as a bonus, based out of Traverse City, MI.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I do mine thru "JC Taylor" in PA. They specialize in old cars and bikes. I pay a total of $144 Yr for 3 bikes.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Flipczak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Haggerty and Grundy Worldwide have great rates for vintage bikes. The problem is the MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association) fee. As the only state in the country with unlimited personal injury protection benfits, Michigan riders and drivers have been geting screwed for over 30 years. It started out at $3 per year and is now up to $146 per year per registered vehicle. So if you have a car and a couple of bikes you pay way more than your fair share. Try riding more than one bike at the same time! It's a messed up system. Of course they won't charge the fee per drivers license as the state would lose millions of dollars. Read this and be glad you don't live in Michigan http://www.whiteagency.com/Michigan%20MCCA.pdf

The only way to avoid the full fee is to register your motorcycle with a "historic vehicle" plate. The fee drops to 25% of the full amount.
Flipczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
don-vee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I have 4 bikes insured through Dairyland at a grand total of $388 a year. But, I ride 'em. Last time I looked, they did offer antique bike insurance with restricted use. So far, quite happy with their customer service and prices. We'll see how they are (or hopefully not) if I ever need to make a claim.
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-vee View Post
...........antique bike insurance with restricted use. .......
Note my emphasis. "with restricted use". Read ALL the Fine Print to make sure the policy covers your intended usage.

I used to be into Classic Cars, but I wanted to DRIVE them. (Disclaimer: I've not had anything Interesting on 4-wheels in a while, so no up-to-date info on who's best now, but the generalities still apply.)

Many companies I checked had some serious restrictions on their policies. Where & When you could drive it (To "shows", in parades, to club meetings. Just a "Sunday Ride" was not be covered), how it's stored (garage, at your home), mileage per year, and things like the famous "in attendance" clause.
Basically, the In Attendance clause stated that you (or maybe your buddy or spouse) had to have your vehicle in sight at all times to be covered for loss. Went to walk the Show Field and came back to a blank parking space? Came back to find a new dent or scrape in your car, and the car next to yours gone? Tough Luck. Not covered!
That's why my car club has to have it's summer monthly meetings at a place where we can SEE our cars out the window. Because most of the people have Hagerty, which last I heard, has that clause in their policy.

Can't find the paperwork right now, but I believe I ended up w/ American Collectors for my '72 Riviera. About 50% more than the other, but it had the features I liked. Agreed value, agreed mileage per year (I had mine based on 5000 mi/yr ), drive it wherever you want (except to work), and NO "in attendance" clause.

Thanks for bringing up this subject. I have a 1981 GS1100E Suzuki w/ just liability through Progressive, and I'll probably get full coverage on it this year (even though they don't get stolen as much as they did in the Old Days when everyone wanted them for Dragster Parts, and even though mine ain't worth much ). I would like to be able to go to places like Rocker Box or Barber, and be able to leave my motorcycle to walk around without worrying whether it will be gone or on it's side when I come back, so I'll be starting my research soon. Plus I'm hoping to add to the Old Motorcycle Stable.

EDIT; Yep, it was American Collectors that let you take a Sunday Drive. Here's a link to their "Antique & Classic Motorcycle Insurance 101" page. Doesn't say anything about the "in attandance" stuff, you might have to call them to see if they still allow you to walk away.
http://www.americancollectors.com/An...rance-101/421/

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman

Otis the Sasquatch screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 10:21 AM
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 626
I am also in Michigan and have several bikes that only get ridden a couple times a year. I don't think we can legally escape paying the $146 mcca fee on each vehicle. This really burns me because when we are on our bikes we don't even get unlimited medical benefits like we would if we were hurt in a car. Between my wife and I we pay it 6 times a year.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
meijer's trails OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
mcca stinks

motorcycles were SO CHEAP even with progressive when i was in maryland. 98 for a full year a couple of steps above the bare mins didnt eve drive the price up.

that part about not being able to collect if not in a 4wheel vehicle is like taxation without representation.

i dont even care about the actual insurance for my bike. only if some idiot tbones me and gets a handlebar through their temple, they wont sue my family for their injury or death.
meijer's trails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
TE 450 Pilot
Bike Collector

Oddometer: 147
You guys are lucky. I am in Canada. My 1975 Honda 550F is just over $600. My 2006 KTM 300 is $400 . We have two 2011 Husqvarna TE60's and its $1,900 a year for them.

I have NO tickets at all in the last 10 years.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,515
Beware of Hagerty's. A few years ago i got a 1988 Porsche 911 and wanted to insure with Hagerty's as I was not going to drive it more than 5000-7500 miles per year. Their list of restrictions was quite lengthy and their insurance was not that cheap. I ended up getting full coverage from my State Farm agent with NO restrictions other than 7500 miles per year for about $75 more.

Not sure if motor bikes are different. Hagerty's had no issue quoting me on a 1988 vehicle just a few years ago.

One of the biggest issue, IMHO with Hagerty's is where you store the vehicle. I wanted to keep mine in my neighbor's garage across the street from me. The woman who lives there is elderly and a widow. I shovel her driveway and sidewalk all winter for her and she offered to let me keep my 911 over there in the winter so both of our cars could go into our garage. Hagerty said NO WAY.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,689
I used to have Hagerty on my "gazelle" thingy (which was really a Pinto motor with fancy fiberglass body - still, it was a cool summer roadster) as no one else would touch it. I no longer have the "car".

When I got my 1980 CB750DF, I checked with Hagerty, then again when I got the 1979 CX500. Rates were not better than my current Safeco (I think the CB is $98 and the CX is $139) with no restrictions but I don't have collision on those two (yet). Other than that a $50 deductible for comprehensive and $250 for accident.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipczak View Post
The only way to avoid the full fee is to register your motorcycle with a "historic vehicle" plate. The fee drops to 25% of the full amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog View Post
I am also in Michigan and have several bikes that only get ridden a couple times a year. I don't think we can legally escape paying the $146 mcca fee on each vehicle.
As mentioned, registering the bike with a historic plate cuts that fee way down. And added bonus is the historic plate is good for ten years, as in no registration due every year.

I use Haggerty and have never had issues with strange clauses. One of my cars used to be stored off site, no problem. They are limited use policies but it basically comes down to you can't use the vehicle as regular transportation. Sunday drives are fine. I'm pretty sure the age limit is 25 years? Less for some vehicles?
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote