Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
FLH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thumb Hi Brenda

Tell your mom I say hi also.

Glad to see your back posting on this thread. Maybe I'll stop by your grandmother's house sometime to see if you're there. I mow grass for my mom and dad, down from her house.

BTW, are you using Button's machine shop in O'Fallon. They did some work for me last year, and were top notch.

Take care, Terry
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #32
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLH
Glad to see your back posting on this thread. Maybe I'll stop by your grandmother's house sometime to see if you're there. I mow grass for my mom and dad, down from her house.
How do I keep missing your posts until months later?

I'm there as often as possible, working on projects out in the shop. My brother Neil is out there all the time as he lives there.

As seen in my R90 thread, there was a party out at Dave's place last night.

Quote:
BTW, are you using Button's machine shop in O'Fallon. They did some work for me last year, and were top notch.
I initially went to Buttons but during the magna-fluxing (which, I think I'll attempt from now on.. how simple!) they discovered cracks in the blocks and said they can't work on cast iron. So, they recommended Chapin Cylinder Head in Chapin, IL.

Late July/Early August 2009 Hours: ~2, Expenses: $0
Spent a couple more hours cleaning up the functional surfaces of the steering and brakes.

In this picture, you can see the partially-cleaned/greased left side, the broken frame horns, and the hints of work beginning on the right side.

Monday, August 3, 2009 Hours: ~0, Expenses: $0
We took two of our A blocks and one head to an old school shop in a corn field in Illinois. The place has been in business since 1928, and is one of few in the nation that welds up cast iron. They gave us a tour of the place. It was AWESOME. They said it'd be about a week turn around time. I really wish we'd done this sooner, because school starts up at the end of this month, and I want to have it somewhat-together before then.

Late September 2009 Hours: ~0, Expenses: ~$900
Well, sirs, the week turn around time turned into a month. The blocks needed a little more than previously thought. They were welded up, new valve seats put in, and a light coat of primer spray on.

A week ago, my brother picked up the A blocks and heads, and a few of his other project pieces. He took block #1 to the local machine shop to get bored to the next size up. We also confirmed that block #1 matches the number on the title, whether or not it was actually the original engine. I had planned on using it anyway, since it's the block my grandpa worked on, and this only makes me happier.

Here's block #2, also good-to-go:

One of the two heads we brought was supposedly cracked beyond repair. I suppose the non-primered one is it, but I thought my brother also bought a spare ready-to-go head they had laying around.

The "original" head was tested good back when we originally started taking the parts to machine shops. I gotta test if it's square, too, and rebuild the water pump.

Also, I've cleaned the front end to an acceptable amount. Packed everything with grease. One bearing needs to be replaced, but it's the outer one on the left side, and I can wait a bit.

It's coming along..

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 10:43 AM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #33
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
Great fun following along. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #34
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Monday, December 28, 2009 Hours: ~4, Expenses: ~$0
I just added two really, really-"before" pictures to the first post. That was obviously before it was stolen (and the front fender damaged) and recovered in the ditch. We recently bought a slide projector at a garage sale for $1, and dug out some slides from a drawer at my grandmas house. There are a few of the A. I'll have to fetch those some time, too. It's neat to have this much personal/family history with a project for once. All the rest of my projects have unknown history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
We also confirmed that block #1 matches the number on the title, whether or not it was actually the original engine. I had planned on using it anyway, since it's the block my grandpa worked on, and this only makes me happier.

I found a source for the original-style babbit bearings (an old skool guy in Jacksonville, IL), and today I was finally able to take my block there.

I'm still not sure about the connecting rods, but he's going to clean up the crank, pour the bearings, and it'll be ready for me/reassembly.

(I started this thread before "Shiny Things" and back when this was still "Old Skool". I guess I'm not opposed to it being moved, as I got a few PM's from some whiners; "this isn't a car forum wah wah..." Whatever.)

Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #35
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,195
I like it. Tell 'em it's two motorcycles that happened to be attached by a bed If I ever get around to tearing into my old VW I'm going to to a rebuild thread on it in Shiny Things. A thread is a great way to capture stuff. Much better than just pictures. It's why I do ride reports--I don't care if anybody else reads 'em.

oh and you have to promise to drive that thing across Africa wearing a camelbak and one of the Long Way 'Round visor helmets when you're done

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
Siva
Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer: 683
loooking fab.

i shall be watching this thread carefully now.... good luck...

I found a source for the original-style babbit bearings (an old skool guy in Jacksonville, IL), and today I was finally able to take my block there.

I'm still not sure about the connecting rods, but he's going to clean up the crank, pour the bearings, and it'll be ready for me/reassembly.

(I started this thread before "Shiny Things" and back when this was still "Old Skool". I guess I'm not opposed to it being moved, as I got a few PM's from some whiners; "this isn't a car forum wah wah..." Whatever.)[/quote]
Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
WELL, to be fair.....
I see car threads in GARAGE, but really don't think it belongs in old skool just because it's old.
That's all relative anyhow as I worked as a wrench on Autos for 17 or 18 years before switching to slinging BMW parts in 95.
When I worked on classics, I was happiest.
But does it make me a whiner because I voiced a concern about where the thread resides?

Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 07:38 PM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #38
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,541
Tell the wah wah guys to cry where somebody will listen....we love all things old. they're cool. ...... And Old Skool is cool.

Post away, post away, post away all...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #39
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,451
Cool thread.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #40
RyanIsMyName
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
I remember being little and rambling on to my grandfather about cars and he would always say "Did I ever tell you about the time I bought my first car? A Ford Model A and it only cost me $20!" He wasn't too interested when I showed him classified ads for Porsche 928's in middle school ("You want a GERMAN car? But we BEAT them!").

This is an awesome thread. If it really bothers you that it's in the "wrong" place, KILL yourself!

RyanIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #41
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
WELL, to be fair.....
I see car threads in GARAGE, but really don't think it belongs in old skool just because it's old.
You're a good dude. I'm not calling you out. I was kinda joking and can see the point. The thread can be moved, but I stuck it here back before I ever really ventured out of Old Skool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanIsMyName
If it really bothers you that it's in the "wrong" place, KILL yourself
Uh oh..

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 01-07-2010 at 03:24 PM
Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #42
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 833
It seems everyone knows someone who restores or owns model A's - as I'm sure you've discovered, it doesn't take much scratching around to find the local network of model A folks. Although I have never owned one, my dad has restored several, and currently has an unrestored '29 town sedan. Great project, keep posting!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #43
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
We're gonna keep it here while you wrench ... we all love that shit and it's good cross training.

Then when you're all done and have gotten the grime off his hands, we'll all have our last says, and then I'll punt it to "Shiny Things" and let the rest of the FFs have a go at it.

But for the moment, it's Old School wrenching at it's finest.

+1
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #44
HammerD0wn
Go cry me a river...

Oddometer: 101
Cool fred.......you keep writing and we'll keep following...
HammerD0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #45
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,752
Great Job! Cool project-keep it coming! can't wait for more.
Bob