ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #76
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas
 
TouringDave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Frankston, Vic, Aust.
Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
I can lurk no longer....

I am coming round to 3 wheels.

Most excellent work.

Ahhhh, another convert.

Welcome to the dark side Sylvia
__________________
K7 Strom with Chair
84 Kwaka GT750 Cafe Project
84 Kawaka GT750 Outfit Project
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #77
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui
 
Sylvia's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: taking pics
Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave
Ahhhh, another convert.

Welcome to the dark side Sylvia
Been researching for a while Dave. Scary.

The question is not if but when, and how. Bloody Nev..
__________________
Slightly Orange

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #78
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Been researching for a while Dave. Scary.

The question is not if but when, and how. Bloody Nev..
You're partly responsible for this build, and mine.
After your little lie down on the way to Top Hut, and the fact that both Nev and I had little confidence issues with the sand , we both decided to build outfits
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #79
Shmerel
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Where my soul takes me
Oddometer: 11,152
and i'd like to see an orange 3 wheeler.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #80
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui
 
Sylvia's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: taking pics
Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
You're partly responsible for this build, and mine.
After your little lie down on the way to Top Hut, and the fact that both Nev and I had little confidence issues with the sand , we both decided to build outfits
Sorry Clancy,
Please, just send me the account for services rendered.

I am not suggesting that I am getting off 2 wheels clancy, but rather adding 3 wheels to the collection. I have been quite keen to learn as much as I can about outfits but hey, its bigger than ben-hur, its not just about slipping down to the cycle shop for a test ride, from manufacturer a,b or c.

The Urals look interesting, but would like a questions answered first. Anyway I'm enjoying Nev's build.
__________________
Slightly Orange

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #81
Shmerel
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Where my soul takes me
Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Sorry Clancy,
Please, just send me the account for services rendered.

I am not suggesting that I am getting off 2 wheels clancy, but rather adding 3 wheels to the collection. I have been quite keen to learn as much as I can about outfits but hey, its bigger than ben-hur, its not just about slipping down to the cycle shop for a test ride, from manufacturer a,b or c.

The Urals look interesting, but would like a questions answered first. Anyway I'm enjoying Nev's build.
i suggest you look closely at clancy's project. interesting.
a few of us are watching, and might follow as 2nd generation prototypes.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #82
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui
 
Sylvia's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: taking pics
Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
i suggest you look closely at clancy's project. interesting.
a few of us are watching, and might follow as 2nd generation prototypes.
Been watching Gad,
I have been for a few years but, must resist, the bastards keep calling.

All we need now is for Nev to roll along and bust me peeking
__________________
Slightly Orange

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #83
Shmerel
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Where my soul takes me
Oddometer: 11,152
mungo. what happens there stays there. see you then.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #84
WhatMeWorry?
Unspoilt and Unspoken
 
WhatMeWorry?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Gippsland
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
Looks like a typical piece of Phyllis' shit. What would he know.
Is this tongue in cheek ?? If so, meh...

Phyllis is the guru. Yiz are all f**** lucky he loves HIS work and not the $$$$$ - otherwise he'd be a gazillionaire by now.

For a long time now I have wondered why he hasn't got a shop somewhere and making some real pineapples and gorillas ($$$). I think he just couldn't handle Mr. Joe Nobody (customers).

Why dont you old farts (in Melbourne) band together and get a shop up and running ??

Me and him don't always see eye to eye..
But the RESPECT and ADMIRATION is unfathomable..

She sells sea shells by the seashore ?
WhatMeWorry? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #85
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry?
Is this tongue in cheek ?? If so, meh...

Phyllis is the guru. Yiz are all f**** lucky he loves HIS work and not the $$$$$ - otherwise he'd be a gazillionaire by now.

For a long time now I have wondered why he hasn't got a shop somewhere and making some real pineapples and gorillas ($$$). I think he just couldn't handle Mr. Joe Nobody (customers).

Why dont you old farts (in Melbourne) band together and get a shop up and running ??

Me and him don't always see eye to eye..
But the RESPECT and ADMIRATION is unfathomable..

She sells sea shells by the seashore ?


Is that you Geoff?
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #86
WhatMeWorry?
Unspoilt and Unspoken
 
WhatMeWorry?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Gippsland
Oddometer: 5
No...

Could call me a junior "Ballast".
Getting right out the box over the 3rd wheel on tight lefthanders, head narrowly missing signposts..

Done a lot of "Ballast" work with Phyllis over the years....
__________________
"Some folk'l never lose a toe,
and then again some folk'l.
Like Cletus the slack jawed Yokel"
WhatMeWorry? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #87
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatMeWorry?
No...

Could call me a junior "Ballast".
Getting right out the box over the 3rd wheel on tight lefthanders, head narrowly missing signposts..

Done a lot of "Ballast" work with Phyllis over the years....
Good to see you in here "Junior"
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #88
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas
 
TouringDave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Frankston, Vic, Aust.
Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
Good to see you in here "Junior"
So, who is it?
__________________
K7 Strom with Chair
84 Kwaka GT750 Cafe Project
84 Kawaka GT750 Outfit Project
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #89
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs
 
nevgriff64's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 13,434
Well guys and girls, the build is almost complete..

Phyllis ( ) has been kind enough to photo/document the build as he has gone along and i`m happy to share for all that is interested but first a bit of a run down on the why`s and what for`s..

I guess it started with a trip up to the Mungo Nation Park for an ADVRiders gathering late last year.. A trip that had me riding in soft sand for the very first time on a KTM 950 Adventure.. The bike did it easily enough but I certainly had way too many anxious moments to say that I enjoyed myself.. Managed to make the journey without dropping the bike but I think it was more good bike/luck rather than good rider skills.. Two or three didn`t make the gathering with spills that saw both man and machine in pretty bad ways.. ( Hi Sylvia, 1WD, S2W.. ) It wasn`t long after that trip that I decided to have a sidecar built thinking that 3 wheels had to be safer than 2, afterall, I`d seen a few guys riding them and didn`t look that hard to ride..

I liked the concept of offroad ability with seating for my children and to carry camping equipment when needed.. Had seen a few pictures of Mickpa`s outfit and thought that that was what I wanted.. Found a Ural sidecar on the internet that had come from an outfit that had an excursion into an embankment, bike had been written off with only minimum damage to the chair.. Perfect for what I wanted.. A 2002 BMW 1150 gsa came up not long after in very good condition with only 17 500 odd kilometers on the clock and was lucky enough to catch the wife in a good enough mood to allow the purchase..

Chris McArdle gave me a few builder contacts more than capable of the completing the task but one stuck out more than the others.. With a quick chat to Phyllis ( ), his passion for sidecars for both building and riding was second to none and with an Aircraft mechanical background, I knew he was the one if he`d agree to taking it on...........
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #90
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs
 
nevgriff64's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 13,434
Once Phyllis ( ) had cleared his work load, it was now time to start on my project.. WOO HOO..



Here`s the BM at the ready to be transformed into what many say is the most fun you can have with your clothes on..



Didn`t take him long to remove all the unnecessary items such as crash bars, sidestand, centre stand etc..



Here in Australia, we need to mount the sidecar on the left side of the tow vehicle so alot of thought went into the best way to make the mounts..



Here`s a close up of where the centre stand attach point is..



25 mm thick Aluminium block was made..



nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014