Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,211
I woke up to the smell of coffee and voices about 7 or so. The owner was making breakfast for the guests in the next room and I got up still feeling a little queasy. I hadn't been able to find WiFi last night to upload the report nor had I had time to write it, so plans were to write the report and upload with a leisurely breakfast somewhere in town.

However, through the window I could see dark rain clouds coming from the west and the owner concurred it would definitely be raining soon. What a strange coincidence as this trip's weather has exactly mirrored last year's - Terlingua was cooler than usual and the Sunday I left Marathon last July was it cold and rainy. Too weird. It was like deja vu all over again.

Rain clouds a' coming

Talked to a couple of the guests, who were from Livingston, over breakfast while I tried to make myself eat a bite of eggs and bacon before leaving. I was the last one out the door and got the bike loaded and ready. The rain was definitely coming so I hit the Shell and gassed up before catching 90 east for Sanderson. It was great riding that way - the temperature was almost cold! I was lovin' it after all the Hotness.

The front was bearing down from the north and I could see showers ahead as I raced to get east before the big stuff hit. Sprinkles and cool temps lasted all the way to Sanderson and I managed to avoid the big pours. Whoever was praying for rain for me got through to the Good Man for sure!

I topped off in Sanderson and got some water, and noticed a screw backing out of the handguard so I whipped out the mini-tool kit. This little kit is great and was given to me as a gift.
It's great quality and packs small - I keep it in the tank bag for easy access since my bigger tool kit is packed in the cases. Highly recommended!

Sanderson, Texas

The rain spats and high clouds overhead continued to Dryden, where I emerged into pools of sun and much warmer temps.

The only living thing I saw was a grey fox rocketing across the the road in front of me.

So much space and so little life to see. Even the buildings are remains of a life gone by.

From Dryden on, I began to see a lot of Border Patrol activity - trucks patrolling out in the flat landscape, parked on the side of the highway or speeding past on 90 heading west. Their presence was heavy all the way to Del Rio. It was kind of odd, but it seemed each time I passed a BP vehicle they'd make a turn, or as I approached they'd nose out towards the road. Not sure if it's standard procedure, but it sure seemed they were interested or at least were mildly challenging... maybe I'm just paranoid but that's how it felt. God only knows how many illegals I could carry in the side cases.

By the time I hit Langtry, it was full sun and dead on hot. The clouds were gone and I endeavored to snap pics as quickly as possible and get moving again.
Can you say "Drive By Shooting?"

Reminds me of that motel I stayed in in Cody...

The bridge over the Pecos was being repaired so we sat at one of those remote traffic signal lights. The sign said the wait could be up to 4 minutes. El Signo was wrongo. We sweltered for a long time until the driver ahead just ran it and made the traffic stop on the other side. I jumped in behind him and got across, then curled around up to the overlook for the obligatory bridge pics.

Crossing Amistad

Del Rio was sweltering, and I had hoped to get some real Mexican food there, but my stomach was still on strike so I rode through to the old downtown section to look around, then began looking for a place to cool off and rest. There was a great looking old two story building that was a Mexican restaurant with a few bikes around and I wish I'd felt like eating.
About the only thing that sounded good was a root beer float. Found a Dairy Queen and cooled down with a large float while I wrote yesterday's ride report. That was one good root beer float.

By now I was getting anxious to get home, despite the usual mixed feelings when a trip is ending, but I decided to take a little detour on Ranch Road 2523 from Del Rio north to 377 rather than heading straight up as usual.

East of town I found the 2523 turn off and headed north. Pretty quickly I got out of the houses and the terrain opened up flat and empty. It was a long stretch of narrow blacktop with nothing, and I mean nothing around, all the way up to the intersection with RR 3008.

From 3008 on, the road began to twist as it entered the hills towards the Rock Springs area. FM 2523 is a good one for bikes as you get further north. I was curious how the Border Patrol would handle a back road like this, and sure enough I passed a BP agent parked in an SUV watching the road. He too, moved his car forward to the road edge as I neared...

Finally reaching 377, I really opened up for Rock Springs, passing through wet patches of freshly dropped rain and puddles on the blacktop. The spray felt good but I was beginning to tire.

In Rock Springs, I topped off with gas at the Shell where I saw a bike and trike that had been at the Mexican restaurant in Del Rio. I could tell I was getting whipped when I had to go in three times to get the attendant to turn the pump on, and each time had to stand in line while bozos spent 10 minutes buying lottery tickets. I was about to get feisty. [Rant On] God I wish I could get paid for all the time I've wasted in my life standing behind people buying lottery tickets. [Rant off]

Anyway, I hit highway 41 towards Mountain Home and eventually Kerrville. A couple of bikes passed as I neared the exit roads for the 3 Sisters, but very few bikes were out today. The only adventure bike I'd seen on this trip was the yellow 1200GS the first morning.

The last stretch home was the longest :) - anxious to get there makes it take ten times worse.

When I finally pulled in the driveway, the odometer showed 1,119 miles + 15 making the weekend 1134 miles.

I had a great trip and it was well worth the time and effort. I think this was the 3rd Benefit Parade Kathy sponsored, so I guess it was my 2nd Annual trip for the 3rd Annual Parade. One of these days it's gonna get confusing :)

Adios my friends!

LoneStar screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 11:30 AM
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #17
AusFletch
Vincit qui Persevere

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog
i'm lovin' the 1150...finally made it "mine"...

Old 07-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog
i'm glad you decided to stop more than usual...it was worth the effort.

i'm lovin' the 1150...finally made it "mine"...been riding the crap out of it...

here's what she looks like now.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479490

speaking of beer...i have been wanting to head over to Shiner when it cools down a bit...October maybe???
Great looking bike - me likey a lot - excellent. The shots in that ride report are excellent and the trip looks like a great one.

Shiner sounds great man -as does October - let me know when and I'm there.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,190
Outstanding report as usual!

Thanks!

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,316
Great report and I will always think that bike is the purdiest one
BMW ever built.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #21
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusFletch

hey fletch!!!

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #22
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
- let me know when and I'm there.

right on.

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #23
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Great RR

Although this RR is a couple of years old, I was out to BB in Thanksgiving of 2008. This just reminded me of how great of a place this is to ride....... Terlingua and the old cemetary, I have that same pic of the old wooden cross laying on the ground with beads around it. I camped in the basin area and climbed Casa Grande......plan on returning there soon. Thanks for all the pics, they remind me of what I would rather be doing. I have been on the disabled list for 1 1/2 years due to a badly broken leg that the dr mangled worse, 2012 , I will be back on 2 or3 wheels.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote