Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Strongly Considering an '08 990 Adventure (need advice)

I am looking to pick up their remaining '08 990 Adventure from a dealer in Ohio. I live in Canada and, if I make the purchase, I will be importing. I need a lot of advice!

Concerning the dealer:
-------------------------
There are a few things that are sort of throw up red flags as I have been corresponding with the dealer, so far, via email.

First is the price. They have a new '08 990 Adventure selling for US$9,999 (new). The price is what drew me to the advertisement, but it does seem unusually low, does it not?

Second, I told the dealer that I could come down to Ohio and take the bike for a test ride and, if I liked it, I would likely purchase it and take it back to Canada. They responded by saying that the unit cannot be test-ridden because, if they allowed test rides, they could not sell the bike as "new". Is this usual?

Concerning the 990, in general:
-----------------------------------
I am torn between the BMW F800 GS and the 990 Adventure. I've read quite a bit of the threads on this debate and gotten some good anecdotal information and heard a lot of back-and-forth over this issue.

My main concern about the KTM is that, I hear, it's maintenance-intensive. This would not be a big issue if I had experience servicing motorbikes. I do not. I have an electrical engineering background, so I don't think this stuff would be difficult to learn; but as of now, I don't have this type of knowledge and experience.

I am also a beginner rider, and not sure if the KTM is for me (which is why I want to test ride one). A lot of people say that neither of these bikes are suitable for a first bike, but I sort of disagree. I think, as long as I respect the bikes power, capabilities and limitations and get the feel of it slowly, I can eventually handle it just as well as anyone.

By the way, I plan on doing mostly long-distance on-raod, but I want a bike capable of going off-road. I know both of these bikes are well suited for both, but I am stuck when it comes to choosing one.

Rockwell screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 02:29 PM
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Gravel Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Let me give you some friendly advice,

Quote:
I am also a beginner rider, and not sure if the KTM is for me (which is why I want to test ride one). A lot of people say that neither of these bikes are suitable for a first bike, but I sort of disagree.

I can eventually handle it just as well as anyone.
An attitude like this will get you killed. On a 990 you will get in so far over your head so fast you won't even know what happened. It is much safer and more fun to learn to ride a bike to it's limit not yours. Once you have mastered that bike then move on.

The first time you get knocked back on the seat and accidentally crank the throttle WFO you don't want it to be on a bike that makes 90 hp. Don't get me wrong, the 990 is a Fantastic bike and I love it, I crashed my way up to it, learning along the way, it's not a place to start. Adam.
Gravel Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

I take your point, but I disagree.

I have actually ridden a two-wheeled motorized vehicle (150CC scooter :p) for many years, and have taken a rider's training course recently using a 225CC dirt bike. I passed the riding exam without error.

I also don't think I will accidentally crank the throttle back. I have never done that in any of my riding. I'm not a complete newb, but I am just not use to bigger bikes and gear changing. After taking and passing the training course, I am very comfortable with gear shifting. It just took a little bit to get use to and it became automatic.

This bike would be a big jump from what I have experience on, but I don't intend on buying several bikes that lead up to this one in performance and power. I believe I will be able to handle it.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Ha...you're from Burlington. I took my training course there at the CCIW under the Skyway.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Jklotz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
I'd have to agree with Adam. the 990 is not a beginners bike. Throttle is too "immediate". It also trades some stability for performance. IMHO, the smart thing to do (still reading? I doubt it ; ) would be to get a used V-Strom 650, keep it for a year and learn how to ride. Then you can sell it for not too much less than you paid for it, and buy a 990 next year. Your chances of having a good experience and not hurting yourself would be greatly increased. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I can tell you after many years of riding, I have found it to be the truth.

Hope that helps,

James
Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Jklotz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Oh, and $10K for a 0 mile 990 sounds a little too good to be true. Be sure you are asking for the "out the door price". Dealerships can be sneaky and hit you for doc fees, un-crating fees, destination charges, set up fees - all kind of crap to make it look like a good deal just to get you in the door. I'm just saying....
Old 07-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
990 is a beginners bike

please p.m me after you crash and i will buy whatever is left .
this is not for a first time dirt/street rider .
consider a 690 or a bmw 650 first
ironivar
04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz
Oh, and $10K for a 0 mile 990 sounds a little too good to be true. Be sure you are asking for the "out the door price". Dealerships can be sneaky and hit you for doc fees, un-crating fees, destination charges, set up fees - all kind of crap to make it look like a good deal just to get you in the door. I'm just saying....
It is US$9,999 plus about US$500 dealer prep/etc.

It does seem a little too good to be true. We'll see.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz
(still reading? I doubt it ; )
I read everything.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Traveler
An attitude like this will get you killed. On a 990 you will get in so far over your head so fast you won't even know what happened.
What he said. I've been riding off and on since I was 12, used to roadrace/dragrace and motocross, and the 990 is a handful for me. It's maybe too much bike for me at times, and I've got years in on superbikes. It's different, it's powerful, and very definitely NOT the next bike after a scooter.

Dead man walking, clear the way.

NCW Mike

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONIVAR
this is not for a first time dirt/street rider .
consider a 690 or a bmw 650 first
ironivar
How about the F800?

I know riding scooter doesn't mean much to "real" motorcyclists, but I found, when taking my riders training course, a lot of the skills were transferable.

Jklotz: when you say the throttle is too "immediate," can't you mitigate that with clutch control (or do I completely not know what I am talking about)?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,739
Can't be done

I have some sad news for you Rocky. '08 KTM's 'CANNOT' be imported into Canada. Only '07's and below.
Check the Transport Canada website for details. See section 8:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...list/vafus.pdf

Deuce screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 05:06 PM
Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell
(or do I completely not know what I am talking about)?
Do a search in Orange Crush for 990 throttle, 990 jerkiness, 990 fueling... plenty of posts about the 990's EFI snatchiness.

NCW Mike

PS: As pointed out above, the 990 is a GREAT bike. Best be on your game to ride it, though. We're concerned for your safety and well-being.

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
I have seen several dealers "blowing out" the 990's. The price doesnt seem unheard of. I am waiting on a condo to sell or I would already have one.

I ride a DRZ-400S now. I rode a friends 990 for a few miles and it was alot more powerful but didn't seem like something that would get a guy hurt. Now I wasn't being stupid with it and was on a smooth road.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Dont get the 990 from the states, you cannot import 2008-newer KTM's into Canada, check out the RIV site.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeV...Section8_0.htm

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote