ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
mach1mustang351 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 387
1979 Guzzi 1000SP, back to life.

Well everyone, I was bitten by the Guzzi bug months ago and haven't recovered. I am looking for a winter project (already bought a basket case Yamaha) then this Guzzi comes along. I have been reading about them and was looking for a little more feed back. What do you all think about this model, engine, etc. any arguments for or against versus any other older Guzzi. Yes I know a Lemans 1 is ideal but not so much in the cards right now. Any help appreciated.

mach1mustang351 screwed with this post 11-29-2014 at 05:55 PM
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #2
ianboydsnr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: England's Lake District
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
Well everyone, I was bitten by the Guzzi bug months ago and haven't recovered. I am looking for a winter project (already bought a basket case Yamaha) then this Guzzi comes along. I have been reading about them and was looking for a little more feed back. What do you all think about this model, engine, etc. any arguments for or against versus any other older Guzzi. Yes I know a Lemans 1 is ideal but not so much in the cards right now. Any help appreciated.

Inside every SP is a lemans waiting to get out,

The engines are not as tuned, nor do they have the larger carbs, and they will always be of lower value, but they are great guzzi's non the less!
ianboydsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
Well everyone, I was bitten by the Guzzi bug months ago and haven't recovered. I am looking for a winter project (already bought a basket case Yamaha) then this Guzzi comes along. I have been reading about them and was looking for a little more feed back. What do you all think about this model, engine, etc. any arguments for or against versus any other older Guzzi. Yes I know a Lemans 1 is ideal but not so much in the cards right now. Any help appreciated.
Tell us about the SP? Pics?

There were two "early" SP1000s. Pre 1980 had the same footpegs as the LeMans I/II and the same exhaust but chromed rather than black. You don't get the awesome gas tank though.

A small-valve (like the SP) Guzzi motor is every bit as fast as a "real" LeMans with a few basic upgrades like 36mm carbs and less restrictive exhaust.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
'78 XS650 with patina
Huge piles of Guzzi that aren't motorcycle shaped.
Nessman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
F_Sahms
mostly paved
 
F_Sahms's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 331
My first Guzzi..the 79 has the Le Mans style pegs, and likely iron bores. Great fairing and the later seat is damn comfy. Handles like a tonti Guzzi should.
__________________
Life's too short.
F_Sahms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
mach1mustang351 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
Tell us about the SP? Pics?

There were two "early" SP1000s. Pre 1980 had the same footpegs as the LeMans I/II and the same exhaust but chromed rather than black. You don't get the awesome gas tank though.

A small-valve (like the SP) Guzzi motor is every bit as fast as a "real" LeMans with a few basic upgrades like 36mm carbs and less restrictive exhaust.
I'll try and get pics tomorrow. I talked with the guy today and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. It is supposedly the legendary "ran when parked" condition. It ran poorly when he parked it, he suspects "carb issues or timing." It is also missing the lower fairings but is "100% complete otherwise." He is starting negotiations at $1200. It is always a crap shoot on bikes that you cant hear run first. We'll see tomorrow I guess.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
I'll try and get pics tomorrow. I talked with the guy today and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. It is supposedly the legendary "ran when parked" condition. It ran poorly when he parked it, he suspects "carb issues or timing." It is also missing the lower fairings but is "100% complete otherwise." He is starting negotiations at $1200. It is always a crap shoot on bikes that you cant hear run first. We'll see tomorrow I guess.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
'78 XS650 with patina
Huge piles of Guzzi that aren't motorcycle shaped.
Nessman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,477
Unless it's just a rusty disaster, $1200 is pretty cheap for these bikes. Best of all, you know you won't have to deal with chrome bores and their automatic need for replacement. I'm a sucker, but I'd almost be willing to buy it sight unseen for that price. Around where I live, Guzzis come up for sale very infrequently, and then they are usually a big rust pile, AND expensive!
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,014
I'll second that! They don't show up very often here either. I finally got a low mile 76 T3 basket case for $500. I'd think $1200 for a complete bike that shouldn't take too much to get running is a great deal! If it was close to me I'd be figuring out how to raise the cash.
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
mach1mustang351 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I'll second that! They don't show up very often here either. I finally got a low mile 76 T3 basket case for $500. I'd think $1200 for a complete bike that shouldn't take too much to get running is a great deal! If it was close to me I'd be figuring out how to raise the cash.
I'm kind of on the same page with this. If it is any way salvageable it will likely be my bike. I never thought of a 1000sp as my Guzzi I would end up getting but the more I read about them they seem pretty cool. I also firmly believe all Guzzis are good Guzzis
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:49 AM   #10
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,222
i should have never sold mine - they make a great long distance rider...
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:20 AM   #11
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I'll second that! They don't show up very often here either. I finally got a low mile 76 T3 basket case for $500. I'd think $1200 for a complete bike that shouldn't take too much to get running is a great deal! If it was close to me I'd be figuring out how to raise the cash.
So how is yours coming?
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Central California coast
Oddometer: 390
Had a G-5. Basically the bare version, with floorboards. Barn find. Cleaned it up, "Lemansified" it. Agostini rear sets, Lafranconi pipes, low bars, modded carbs,gear drive timing ,etc. Great bike! Probably the best "real motorcycle" I've ever owned.
The heavy clutch caused me to sell it. I was already having carpal tunnel problems, and that irritated it further.
Since having surgery, tried multiple times to buy it back.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rob Farmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire. England
Oddometer: 5,372
I ran this one for a while. The Sp is getting very sought after in the UK. So many have been chopped to build cafe racers there aren't any good standard ones left. This one was subsequently chopped up to make a Cafe machine by a newer owner.

They feel very strange to start with, the foot pegs are pretty high and a long way forward. The fairing is very good. They have that wonderful way of looping along and eating the miles that is unique to Guzzi. They do make BMW's feel very sterile.

Everybody should have a Guzzi at some point in there lives.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Morizzi
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
I ran this one for a while. The Sp is getting very sought after in the UK. So many have been chopped to build cafe racers there aren't any good standard ones left. This one was subsequently chopped up to make a Cafe machine by a newer owner.

They feel very strange to start with, the foot pegs are pretty high and a long way forward. The fairing is very good. They have that wonderful way of looping along and eating the miles that is unique to Guzzi. They do make BMW's feel very sterile.

Everybody should have a Guzzi at some point in their lives.
I agree with Rob. Same thing in Australia. Very hard to find one that hasn't been cut down or butchered. Turns a world class tourer into something you can't even take to the shops as there is nowhere to carry anything. Many in the early days were converted to LM I look alikes too though they were more akin to a LMII. Same dash and fork spacings.

All bikes have pros and cons.

Pros:
Iron bores, better than chrome but not as good as nigasil.
Low stressed motor so will run on virtually any available grade of fuel.
Same frame geometry as 850 LMs.
Good solid and accessible attachment points for luggage.
Excellent weather protection.
23 Litre tank with the range to match.
Tank has fuel flap making tank bags easier to fit.
Comprehensive dash. Same as LMII.
Integral brakes that were common to Guzzis at the time. Excellent once you get used to them.

Cons:
VHB carbs. Getting old, worn, parts difficult to find and stiff action.
Crappy timing chain tensioner. Uprated spring version available.
Old style breather box.
Poor side stand but is easily modified.
Didn't come with a sump extension but available.
Lower fairings are often broken at attachment points due to poor fitment by owners.
Lower fairings can be intrusive to taller riders. I put LM 3 version on mine.

The US got the CX100 instead of the LM 2. This is basically a SP1000 with PHF 36 carbs and cosmetics from the LM2, seat, tank and fairing.

Rod
Morizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
mach1mustang351 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 387
Well I made the commitment. It needs some TLC but I think it is more than a solid starter. As the seller stated it is missing the lower fairings and the wind screen is a little cracked and separating but all can be fixed. He disconnected the battery when stored a year ago and amazingly enough he connected it and we heard it crank over. It used to be red and was repainted white and the paint it pealing, shown on fender. I even got him to deliver it to me tomorrow... and I got him down to $800







mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014