ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #136
RidewCoach
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 9
This fall I picked up this KZ 1100 for $1,100 in June. It is the most I have ever paid for a bike. My first two bikes were both CB 550s that I picked up for under $500. I bought the bike and slapped a new set of rubber on it even though I probably could have waited a season. I drove it all the way from Central Illinois to Rocky Mountain National Park this summer! I agree that the newer bikes are great with many new advancements that makes them safer and better handling. I just a guy that has never had much extra capital to spend on a bike. These bikes just always seem to fit in my budget. Perhaps one of these days, I will get a serious upgrade and get an airhead, GS, or a Wee, but until that day, I will stay in the game with a nice old vintage ride!

RidewCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #137
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,878
That's a great looking bike.

All three screens of it!




Quote:
Originally Posted by RidewCoach
This fall I picked up this KZ 1100 for $1,100 in June. It is the most I have ever paid for a bike. My first two bikes were both CB 550s that I picked up for under $500. I bought the bike and slapped a new set of rubber on it even though I probably could have waited a season. I drove it all the way from Central Illinois to Rocky Mountain National Park this summer! I agree that the newer bikes are great with many new advancements that makes them safer and better handling. I just a guy that has never had much extra capital to spend on a bike. These bikes just always seem to fit in my budget. Perhaps one of these days, I will get a serious upgrade and get an airhead, GS, or a Wee, but until that day, I will stay in the game with a nice old vintage ride!
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #138
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 1,379
The KLX650C on the right in authentic wild 90's teal, pink, and yellow on black.

$900 and included a parts bike.

Daughter's PW80 on the left.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 {SOLD} * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge {SOLD} * 2005 BMW R1200ST {maybe FOR SALE} * 2003 Yamaha PW80 {FOR SALE}
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #139
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 1,379
What she looked like when I sold her. Buying her back and changing it to green with black.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 {SOLD} * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge {SOLD} * 2005 BMW R1200ST {maybe FOR SALE} * 2003 Yamaha PW80 {FOR SALE}
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #140
captainchaos
should know better
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Oddometer: 78
I just scored a 1996 GSXR 600 for $1000. Corbin saddle, Yoshimura exhaust. Only needed a rear tire. Will post pics soon.
captainchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #141
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija
Did you inprove the bike or did you left it as it was? If you did some improvements, I believe all of us would like to see them.
re $500 Shovelhead...





I got started on re-doing it but I had 5 or 6 other projects going at the time and ended up cutting it loose like this.



I made a couple grand on it.

I got this for $1500...title said 57' FL



Got part way into this one as well..

Traded it for this...





big block 455



It sounded mean...
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #142
RidewCoach
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
That's a great looking bike.

All three screens of it!


Haha, yes too true. I am not sure what happened there. That picture is HUGE!!! Sorry!
RidewCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #143
Nemosengineer
Hair Ball
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL
re $500 Shovelhead...

I got started on re-doing it but I had 5 or 6 other projects going at the time and ended up cutting it loose like this.

I made a couple grand on it.

I got this for $1500...title said 57' FL

Got part way into this one as well..

Traded it for this...

big block 455

It sounded mean...
Dude... Can I be your shopping buddie, you are master of the deal!!!

: Mike
__________________
"An ill-assorted collection of poorly-matching parts, forming a distressing whole."
Nemosengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #144
Glendmcc
Adventurer
 
Glendmcc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 78
All of my bikes have been under 1000 (to start with)...No pics of the free honda Hurricane that I traded for a gs750 (sold for 200$)

Up next came this:

84 kl600, bought it in boxes (soon to be a common theme), repaired the bottom end, rode for about 100 miles and spun a cam bearing. 300 bought, 300 sold. (Yes that's a ducati can on the back)

I sold that rather than fixing it because a 1993 Ducati 750 Supersport came along. Also in boxes.
Ended up putting a total of around 2000 into this one...

Just picked up this Beaut for 500$. 2000 Monster. 76$ later, it was riding, repaired the spare tank which is currently being painted. This shot is after putting on the new bars and fixing up the lines that were torn off. (T-boned a car, but was slow enough to endo onto the trunk and bend the bars, ripping off the clutch and brake lines, ruining the tank, and cracking the rearsets)


It's the only way I can afford Ducatis!
Glendmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #145
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist
 
Dilligaf0220's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Armpit Of Canuckistan
Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija
I agree about SV650s. These days there are plenty of first gen SV650s that go between 2500 and 3000. If you watch you could get one for around 2k. What a great bike for the price.
All great finds. Thanks for posting your finds people.
The one (and really only one, I'm not a big SV fan) thing going for SV's is alot of spec racing series that use them. There's tons of cheap parts floating around for a street bike. Heck I buy track scrubs off a few SV racers, practically brand new Super Corsa's for $80/set.

Yup, when I go cheap I go whole hog. I even haggle buying brake pads
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #146
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Dude... Can I be your shopping buddie, you are master of the deal!!!

: Mike


The line forms to the left

Thanx Mike

It's an excuse to spend too much time on the innerwebs
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #147
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,878
What's that headlight/instrument pod from?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendmcc
I sold that rather than fixing it because a 1993 Ducati 750 Supersport came along. Also in boxes.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #148
Glendmcc
Adventurer
 
Glendmcc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 78
The headlight/tach came from my mill/lathe at work and a couple of late nights
Glendmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #149
uraberg
whosaberg?
 
uraberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Oddometer: 689
I picked up this 1986 cagiva alazzura from the original owner for $500. Guy had it sitting in his shed for about 5 years. Now it's been sitting in my garage for 2. I'll get to it. I've put new rubber on, replaced a few small things. Just need to replace the starter now.

uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #150
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg
I picked up this 1986 cagiva alazzura from the original owner for $500. Guy had it sitting in his shed for about 5 years. Now it's been sitting in my garage for 2. I'll get to it. I've put new rubber on, replaced a few small things. Just need to replace the starter now.
Good deal! That's the SS model with a dry clutch.

Great bikes. They were the mainstay of lightweight twins racing in Canada throughout the late '80's.

Glendmcc, Nice job on the headlight/instrument pod. Can you post more detailed pics of your handiwork?

cheers,
Lornce
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014