User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #1636
still southern
Iron Horse Nomad

Oddometer: 47
1985 Honda VT500c (Shadow)

Bought for $700, rode about 2500 miles on it, then put another $600-$700 over the winter to turn it into a rat bike tourer. Put well over 9000 miles riding two up in just one trip around the US this past summer. All told I put around 15,000 miles on it in just over a year most of it two up. Up for sale now since I've moved to the other side of the world.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...P5281466-1.jpg

Now riding Central Asia on a black 1994 Dominator.
still southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #1637
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
[QUOTE=still southern;19363617]Bought for $700, rode about 2500 miles on it, then put another $600-$700 over the winter to turn it into a rat bike tourer. Put well over 9000 miles riding two up in just one trip around the US this past summer. All told I put around 15,000 miles on it in just over a year most of it two up. Up for sale now since I've moved to the other side of the world.

Cool trip , you had !
I can't beleive you went to Carlsbad the town and missed Carlsbad the Caverns . Big difference and worth a look if you're ever in the area again.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #1638
still southern
Iron Horse Nomad

[QUOTE=bk brkr baker;19365168]
Quote:
Originally Posted by still southern View Post
Bought for $700, rode about 2500 miles on it, then put another $600-$700 over the winter to turn it into a rat bike tourer. Put well over 9000 miles riding two up in just one trip around the US this past summer. All told I put around 15,000 miles on it in just over a year most of it two up. Up for sale now since I've moved to the other side of the world.

Cool trip , you had !
I can't beleive you went to Carlsbad the town and missed Carlsbad the Caverns . Big difference and worth a look if you're ever in the area again.
Honestly we had a pretty poor reception when we came into town. The folks hanging out at the gas station on the north side of town were positively scary, then we had a lot of trouble finding a place to stay that wasn't bug ridden, and then we were treated rudely at the restaurant for dinner, so we just moved on, no staying around for more of the above! We'll check the caverns out if we are ever in the area again!

still southern screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 08:26 AM Reason: Add some pictures
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #1639
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Are you currently living here, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan?A friend says that Russia is and entirely different world now and it's a pretty good place to live.She plans to go back when she gets out of school.I always wondered about that country.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #1640
still southern
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Are you currently living here, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan?A friend says that Russia is and entirely different world now and it's a pretty good place to live.She plans to go back when she gets out of school.I always wondered about that country.
Just moved here at the end of July. So far it seems great. There are lots of quirks in a place like this. You can't own a gun and you're supposed to wear a helmet if you ride, but they leave open holes into the sewers that you could fall into and the minibuses which should carry 15-20 people carry upwards of 40. Add to that the police are corrupt and just looking for bribes. So far, though, I love it. Gorgeous place with great friendly people.

Did I see you're from Upstate, SC? That's where I grew up!

BTW, here's a picture from just outside of Bishkek.

still southern screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 12:52 AM Reason: Add a picture
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #1641
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Just moved here at the end of July. So far it seems great. There are lots of quirks in a place like this. You can't own a gun and you're supposed to wear a helmet if you ride, but they leave open holes into the sewers that you could fall into and the minibuses which should carry 15-20 people carry upwards of 40. Add to that the police are corrupt and just looking for bribes. So far, though, I love it. Gorgeous place with great friendly people.

Did I see you're from Upstate, SC? That's where I grew up!

BTW, here's a picture from just outside of Bishkek.

Looks like a beautiful place.Sounds a bit sketchy tho.

Yep,I am from Spartanburg,SC.Born here,grew up here,and still own the house I grew up in.I moved next door to a bit bigger place.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #1642
still southern
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Looks like a beautiful place.Sounds a bit sketchy tho.

Yep,I am from Spartanburg,SC.Born here,grew up here,and still own the house I grew up in.I moved next door to a bit bigger place.
Born in Greenville and grew up in north Spartanburg county near the NC line!

Yes some things here are sketchy, but I just mentioned the bad stuff, the good part is that the people are very hospitable and you can make friends quickly and easily. The scenery here is second to none and the cost of living is exceptionally low...most things cost half here what they would cost in the states. I can take my wife out for a nice dinner at a gorgeous sit down restaurant and it'll cost about $15 for the both of us. A bus across town costs about 17 cents. A taxi across town costs $2. Plus out in the countryside they still have nomadic herders! Anyway, it's cool, and only somewhat like Russia.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #1643
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Born in Greenville and grew up in north Spartanburg county near the NC line!

Yes some things here are sketchy, but I just mentioned the bad stuff, the good part is that the people are very hospitable and you can make friends quickly and easily. The scenery here is second to none and the cost of living is exceptionally low...most things cost half here what they would cost in the states. I can take my wife out for a nice dinner at a gorgeous sit down restaurant and it'll cost about $15 for the both of us. A bus across town costs about 17 cents. A taxi across town costs $2. Plus out in the countryside they still have nomadic herders! Anyway, it's cool, and only somewhat like Russia.
Inman here.

Sounds like a cool place to visit.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #1644
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Update on the KZ..

Got the KZ rattlecanned before I left for school, I apologize for the terrible cell pic.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #1645
rightone1974
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wicked

I bought a 1976 Yamaha DT 250C for 50 bucks and it runs good but needs carb redone and a few other things done for it to be right. It is clean bike for its year I just need to clean it up and replace the seat cover(which I am going to do myself) I will post pics soon.(as soon as I figure out how to post them?
rightone1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #1646
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 792
Talking Finnaly I found it

After looking at stealerships and checking the Craig's List I finally found my XL1200S. Sunday, three weeks ago, I was parusing the Craig's List to see what I can find; what trouble I could get into. Well, this time it paid off. Found a listing for a XL1200S for $1,500 - had to be a trash add. But having finally found what I was looking for I sent the owner a Craig's List email to send me his phone number and the VIN. About two hours later the owners email hit with the VIN and his phone number. Having the VIN in hand I ran a quick check and it came back no records; called the owner and setup a meeting three hours later. After convincing my better half that it looks to be a good deal we drove to the NE side of the DfW area with helmet and riding gear in the car.

Once at the sellers location the owner just pulled up as we where getting out of the car - will it run was answered with that. Looking the bike over it showed signs of age but not of abuse. It turned out that the bike was taken in payment for debt owned and the seller had lost the title. OK, I ran the VIN (had a cop buddy run it through their system) and it was clear so a lost title was no issue (at least in TX). We agreed on the $1500 and drove/rode to the bank to make the transfer. After fighting with the ATM to get the funds the owner made a detailed sales receipt and we concluded the deal. After the financials where taken care of, I rode the bike (wife behind me with the 4-ways on; bike had tags from 2005) 45 miles to the house.

During the ride the bike showed no issues; no stalling, no backfire no nothing - it just ran. Two days after getting it home, not having being started in that time, I pulled the choke hit the started and the bike lit up just like it should - a winner.

First "baby" picture

Since I am working on a /5 project, the fender in the picture, the XL was put in the back of the garage to wait for it's turn. But all good attentions just did not do it for me and I had to get the forward controls off the bike; the exhaust will follow as will the mini-apes.

SE without baffles are a no go

The lowered and short rear shocks are also a no go

I have a set of XR1200 shocks that I will mount on the XL1200S. The are the length I would want to run and are also a good way to see if I like the setup; once they work out, I will get some decent Hagons or YSS shocks for the XL1200S. A full build up report will be started as soon as the /5 project is done.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #1647
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,273
Nice score rudolf35!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #1648
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,332
Great score. That one must have showed up just a week or so after I bought my XL1200R. I generally keep pretty good track of CL ads in this area, but slacked off a little while I was getting the new roadster up to snuff and missed this one. Good job on snapping it up.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #1649
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,046
I'm not even a Harley fan, but I too would have jumped on that deal in a second.
Nice score Rudolf!
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #1650
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
I have to be honest. Title issues make me worry.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote