User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #1831
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 167
Wicked cheap bike

I dont have any pictures. I once had a friend give me a 350 honda twin Sl 350 If I can get it running we can sell it and split the money.By the time it was running he had moved away.no forwarding address I ran it awhile then the front forks gave out some one gave me forks off a 185 Suzuki moto cross. They worked fit right into the fork clamps bottomed out fairly easy,Then the headlight quit needed a $12.00 honda bulb I had a old ford pick up headlight bucket a couple of holes drilled and it mounted,5o cents for a junk yard sealed beam and good to go.I called it my Forhonski License plate and light bulb added up to about $15.00 for more than a year of riding.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #1832
fotoduda.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlywinds View Post
I dont have any pictures. I once had a friend give me a 350 honda twin Sl 350 If I can get it running we can sell it and split the money.By the time it was running he had moved away.no forwarding address I ran it awhile then the front forks gave out some one gave me forks off a 185 Suzuki moto cross. They worked fit right into the fork clamps bottomed out fairly easy,Then the headlight quit needed a $12.00 honda bulb I had a old ford pick up headlight bucket a couple of holes drilled and it mounted,5o cents for a junk yard sealed beam and good to go.I called it my Forhonski License plate and light bulb added up to about $15.00 for more than a year of riding.
What do you mean you don't have any pictures!?

I want to see that!
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #1833
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I love that FT500 shot too.

I picked this bike up for my kid around July. It's a 2002 GS500 and it had 6k miles on it at the time. It was owned by a Microsoft guy who had bought it new and ridden it for a few years, then met a woman and had a baby. The bike sat in their parking garage, having had fresh oil, filters and plugs just prior to being parked.
Then he found he had to move to NY, so he put it up on craigslist for $1200. I responded the instant I saw it pop up when I found out the history I told him I would buy it sight unseen, and to not let anyone attempt to start it.

I went to look at it and pay the man, then go look for a trailer. It had a thick layer of dust on it from having sat since 2006. Otherwise not a scratch and the seat was perfect.

We rolled it up on the U haul trailer and brought it home. The pic is after my boy cleaned the bike up and removed the goofy ass windshield. I had him drain the gas out of the tank and the carbs. The gas was brown and the tank had a lot of rust in it, so with the old gas out we etched the tank insides and got the rust out.

Fresh gas, fresh battery and it started right up (well as "right up" as a GS500 gets").

I've used it to get my two older boys riding and it's at about 10k miles now.
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #1834
MiloGasser
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just picked up this 1992 Suzuki 400 today. It has been sitting up for about two years. Pulled tank and battery. will clean tank and charge battery tomorrow. Low miles (less than 9000) and unmollested. I think it was a good buy at $400. Hope to try to start soon.[/IMG]

MiloGasser screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 04:48 PM Reason: pic.
MiloGasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #1835
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloGasser View Post
Just picked up this 1992 Suzuki 400 today. It has been sitting up for about two years. Pulled tank and battery. will clean tank and charge battery tomorrow. Low miles (less than 9000) and unmollested. I think it was a good buy at $400. Hope to try to start soon.[/IMG]
That's a pretty good buy... IF the CDI isn't shot. Make damn sure you're using a GOOD, fully charged battery on that bike at all times. Also, those carbs are the Worst I've ever had to deal with (as a MC mechanic for the past 12 years, add another decade before that for when I was just tinkering for myself). You'll almost certainly need to replace all the vitron bits inside the float bowls, was about $80 worth of parts when I did my B4 back in 2008-ish ~ it will not idle if the plugs that cover the pilot jets are in bad shape or missing.

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #1836
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
I love that FT500 shot too.

I picked this bike up for my kid around July. It's a 2002 GS500 and it had 6k miles on it at the time. It was owned by a Microsoft guy who had bought it new and ridden it for a few years, then met a woman and had a baby. The bike sat in their parking garage, having had fresh oil, filters and plugs just prior to being parked.
Then he found he had to move to NY, so he put it up on craigslist for $1200. I responded the instant I saw it pop up when I found out the history I told him I would buy it sight unseen, and to not let anyone attempt to start it.

I went to look at it and pay the man, then go look for a trailer. It had a thick layer of dust on it from having sat since 2006. Otherwise not a scratch and the seat was perfect.

We rolled it up on the U haul trailer and brought it home. The pic is after my boy cleaned the bike up and removed the goofy ass windshield. I had him drain the gas out of the tank and the carbs. The gas was brown and the tank had a lot of rust in it, so with the old gas out we etched the tank insides and got the rust out.

Fresh gas, fresh battery and it started right up (well as "right up" as a GS500 gets").

I've used it to get my two older boys riding and it's at about 10k miles now.

I own six of them.Those tires Bridgestone tires are crap for that bike.Try Sport Demons.They are way better all around.My daily rider build is on my blog below.To many crazy mods to list here.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1837
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Awesome story, fotoduda.

Same. Is there a way we could vote for this pic to be on the front page's pics for ADVrider.com?

Edit: Done - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8933

There is something about the rear wheel spacing of that model, the slightly knobby tire, the overall form of the bike, and the loaded gear, the non-flashiness of the bike/model ... that, and that setting really helps ... that make it perfect.
+1

fotoduda is a heck of a photog and a good storyteller.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #1838
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Brought home this 1975 CB550 today. It has 30k miles on it, but looks to wear it's age and mileage well. Got it for $650.

The bad:
Small dent fuel tank (didn't see that till I got home -- his power was out, and it was pouring outside)
All four mufflers have some scrapes like it had been down both sides, or the exhaust came from a bike that was
Right side cover is broken, possibly from the kicker hitting from a drop?
Been sitting for a year, and wasn't running well when put away, PO thinks carbs

The good:
The engine cases are not scraped up, nor are the head pipes.
The paint on the tank and side covers is excellent, but, of course, I need to replace the right cover
The seat is excellent
The chrome is very good, and just needs some cleanup
Tires are only 2 years old and look like they're nearly new.
The inside of the tank is perfectly clean
The engine feels like it has good compression -- need to do a compression test though.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #1839
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
Brought home this 1975 CB550 today. It has 30k miles on it, but looks to wear it's age and mileage well. Got it for $650.

Very nice - I may officially hate you

Trade you my CJ

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #1840
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Very nice - I may officially hate you

Trade you my CJ

jdg
Thanks for the offer, but I already have a 360 ('75 CB360T).

Oh, and I see you're a fellow Guzzi rider.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 76 CB400F, 68 CL175, plus other vintage Hondas.
2007 Vespa GTS250ie
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #1841
worm
Tailgunner

Oddometer: 49
Best $1500.00 I ever spent I got this bike last summer 83 CB1000.

worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #1842
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I already have a 360 ('75 CB360T).

Oh, and I see you're a fellow Guzzi rider.
Yep. Love the Norge. Also storing and exercising a '98 EV for a fellow from Scandinavia, Was hoping the Guzzi fellowship might help swing the deal .

Nice collection you have there.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #1843
bdjuju
Should be wrenching

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau View Post
no title can be a PTA but if you are in hell, look into Maine. There are ways to get your bike titled there, and then transfer the title to your state- its sneaky but sometimes the only way.
Im in the same boat on one of my bikes- im waiting for it to "fall out of the system" in cali. eventually this happens- but you can't go and try and title it or the time will reset. best to check online- you can put in the VIN and the license plate # (hopefully you have it) and it will show you the back fees etc on the bike.

if it desn't show anything then its off the records.

it takes somewhere between 7 and 10 years - so quite a wait if its fresh.
Now you've got me wondering. Does checking online 'reset the clock' as well?
It's just too tempting to visit http://dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

I've got one that was last registered just about 7 years ago, and it'll probably be a couple more until I need to worry about registration, but I'd rather wait until I'm sure it's dropped out, lest I be hit with a huge bill.
bdjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #1844
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Many years ago after selling my SR's (and immediately regretting it) I told my friend if he ever sold his I wanted to be first in line.

Time passed, we lost touch, and I forgot about the bike. Over a decade later I get an email out of the blue from him asking if I still wanted it.

Hell yes I do!

Last ran in 07...... I paid $1 per cc

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #1845
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Bought a 81 GL500 Silverwing Interstate last week for $500. 22000 miles, registration good for 2 years, new battery, all new fluids, tires 50%, no rust, all luggage in good shape. Fairing missing but I have an old Windjammer in the garage to put on it. Needs fork seals, shift shaft seal, carbs gone through. Barely ran when I went to look at it but I found the jets rattling around in the bottom of the float bowl in one of the carbs and a spark plug gap of 1/4" on both plugs! Purrs like a kitten now. I'm going to keep this one for a long time.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote