Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #2026
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
$600 w/ a fresh top and bottom end. Not pretty, but runs great.

+ $600 in parts and $160 for registration (not including 50-60 hours of elbow grease and wrenching) and here she is today. Waiting for the seat to be recovered and a few more parts, but I'll come in under $1500.

go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #2027
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,095
Can't find my before pics, but mine was much worse off than the one on the trailer. Amazing what you can do with some paint, some elbow grease, and a few new stickers.

I miss that bike. It's a '91 300 EXC.

It does count for the thread as long as we aren't counting labor. I traded my way up to it with various different bikes and lots of fixing, I think cashwise I was into this one under $500 including a new top end, paint, seat cover, stickers, waterpump / clutchcover, gaskets, etc. I was into it WAY over $1,500 if you count labor, even if it was only at $10/hr.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #2028
Juanjo_NY
Banned

Oddometer: 4,452
1971 Honda CB100

picked this one yersterday out of CL.

1971 Honda CB100 with 2770 original miles, transferable regi and manuals for $500

it should clean up nice..
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #2029
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
i picked up the one in the foreground for $475. the one in the back was a roller with no motor $100.00 - maybe $1200 more into tires, suspension (both front ends are mx250/36), wheels (i think 2 of the wheels are mx175,the others are bultaco and rm125...) motor (both split/ported/bored/rods/bearings/seals/etc..), and various ignitions, chains, sprockets, pegs, bars, hand controls, and other parts... still need to find a different set of shocks for the one in the background - but the thermaflows work ok.

07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 11:46 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #2030
toplessFC3Sman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Picked this up (split between me & 3 friends) 4ish years ago for $300, with the honda & a clymers manual - '73 Honda CL350.

The idea was that we'd have a motorcycle to learn to ride on, mess around with, and it wouldn't break the bank for a bunch of grad students. Well, we learned, one of the group got their own bike, and I ended up buying out everyone from this one.

One of the carbs had a broken choke plate, so the bike would run on 1 cyl until it was warmed up, and then the second one would kick in, so of course I decided that the best course of action would be to convert it to fuel injection and electronic spark control... completely logical.

Anyhow, $300 buy in, new tires, CBR600 F4i parts, the megasquirt, and some various other parts, and I think I'm still under $800... but its been about 3 years since i've ridden it.
toplessFC3Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #2031
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessFC3Sman View Post
Picked this up (split between me & 3 friends) 4ish years ago for $300, with the honda & a clymers manual - '73 Honda CL350.

The idea was that we'd have a motorcycle to learn to ride on, mess around with, and it wouldn't break the bank for a bunch of grad students. Well, we learned, one of the group got their own bike, and I ended up buying out everyone from this one.

One of the carbs had a broken choke plate, so the bike would run on 1 cyl until it was warmed up, and then the second one would kick in, so of course I decided that the best course of action would be to convert it to fuel injection and electronic spark control... completely logical.

Anyhow, $300 buy in, new tires, CBR600 F4i parts, the megasquirt, and some various other parts, and I think I'm still under $800... but its been about 3 years since i've ridden it.
Nice little bike.To bad I don't have money.I'd buy it.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #2032
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 485
Quote:

Also my favorite thread here.
Kt-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #2033
Juanjo_NY
Banned

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:

ape hangers on a scrambler is sacrilegious! ;)

I have a CL450 and working on a 175, super fun bikes!!
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #2034
toplessFC3Sman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Yea, the ape hangers have been replaced with a stock bars, and were definitely my biggest annoyance about riding it (even more than only running on one cylinder!) Why would someone do that to a bike? Its both uncomfortable and less intuitive.
toplessFC3Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #2035
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Yea, the ape hangers have been replaced with a stock bars, and were definitely my biggest annoyance about riding it (even more than only running on one cylinder!) Why would someone do that to a bike? Its both uncomfortable and less intuitive.
You know, I really don't care what people ride or whether they wear a helmet or not but for the life of me I can't figure out why would someone install ape hangers on a bike other that for the custom look.
There is no way possible (IMO) that they can be comfortable or safe outside of a straight line.
I just don't get it.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #2036
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
You know, I really don't care what people ride or whether they wear a helmet or not but for the life of me I can't figure out why would someone install ape hangers on a bike other that for the custom look.
There is no way possible (IMO) that they can be comfortable or safe outside of a straight line.
I just don't get it.
Some of it depends on how high the risers are. I have one friend who has 18" risers (I think) to relieve the arthritis in his shoulders. Not the greatest for canyon carving, but he doesn't do that. For touring, it works well for him and allows him to keep riding.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #2037
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Some of it depends on how high the risers are. I have one friend who has 18" risers (I think) to relieve the arthritis in his shoulders. Not the greatest for canyon carving, but he doesn't do that. For touring, it works well for him and allows him to keep riding.

jdg
I put them on my first bike back in the early 70s a Triumph 650 TR6 and loved them . The bike had that straight seat you could slide back and forth on , so you could really get comfortable on it . I wish I would have kept that bike .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #2038
408Fairmont
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I wanted to get them both running before posting them in here, but my brothers TS185, and my XL175 are both way under $1500. We still need tail lights and I need headlights, and we need signals to drive them on the road, but for this year we are going to just be riding off road, and well get everything together to put them on the road over next winter.

Anyways, his TS185, cost $350, plus about $100 for a new carb, $40 for head bearings. $20 for some grips, and $10 in oil. Still needs a paint job, and tires, but they hold air. We will be painting it when he gets alittle more used to riding, its his first bike.

Note the cool heat shield. Looks like some trim for a house or something.. We will be making a nice shield out of round bar that should look alot more original.

My XL175, I have a 1979 RM125 I am restoring, that I need to spend a few more hundred on the top end, I have a new bottom end, bearings, seals, new paint and plastic, but I wanted something to ride, and I need to freshen up the engine in my car, and only have the coin for one rebuild at a time, so I picked this guy up. I like 2 stokes, but it was $120 from a friend of my Dads, he figured it needed $500-$600 worth of work done to it to run. It had no compression, but ran... lol The coil died, so I took the head off to see why no compression, the cylinder looked clean, but the intake valve looked real high up into the head,, So I pulled it, and there was no valve seat... Seeems like someone did work to the bike, it had stripped out bolts, and various allen key bolts thrown in there. The head also had the cam bushed. The exhaust studs were also broken off, and the rockers were real worn, so I decided to get a new head, cam and cover.

I picked up a new coil, head, cam and rocker cover off of e-bay, spent maybe $100-150, with a new gasket set too. Put it all together yesturday, timed it up, one kick and she fired right up. Smoked us put of the garage, but cleared up. I might have overly oiled the cyl while it was sitting lol. Then my Dad and I made these exhaust spacer deals that push the exhaust in the hole(Not sure what they are called). I saw some on e-bay for like $30 but I figured we could make it. Would have been much easier if I had a plasma cutter or even some jigsaw blades lol, but we got it done. Shes nice and quiet now, and runs great. Smokes slightly, but I'll see if it clears up.

The clean side, all painted with nice stainless bolts. I have the points cover too.

Cant really see the pieces I made... I havent painted this cover becuase I want to check out and probably replace the clutch. It slips but has got better every time I ride it.

Sorry for the long post, but I am excited to ride. I have been waiting for a long time to ride a dirtbike, not a mini bike. I had a mini when I was little, and after that my Dad and I restored a yz80 for me, but someone jacked it :(, and that was when I was like 10-12. I have another mini I bomb around the hood in when I am bored, but other then riding the RM before puling it apart, thats all the riding I have been able to do. So I cant wait to hit the trails.
408Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #2039
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Let's see if I can top my last contribution. I just did a trade for a pair of Triumphs.

Up first is a naked 2003 Sprint ST. Sucked down some bad gas and wasn't running when I brought it home:

I thoroughly cleaned the entire fuel system and installed a new battery. I ran it last night, no problemo.
But wait, there's more. It came with a brand new untouched set of Pilot Road 3 tires.
But wait, there's still more. It came with a 1998 T509 Speed Triple - some assembly required:

I spent the weekend drinking from the firehose of knowledge and ordered a metric shit ton of parts from ebay.

Cost to me was a trade for an AR-15 I built from parts I wasn't using. The MOST anyone could claim I spent for these bikes was $300
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #2040
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,175
Thumb

*golf clap*
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote