Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #196
Taliesin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
If you have a bad back, you probably have no business doing the wrenching required when you bring home one of these finds. Even with a good back, all the hours hunched over working on a bike can get painful.
I'd like to add that if you have bad knees, the same probably applies. :) My knees have been killing me since I've started working on my GS550L.

And bwringer, are you the guy who did the carb sync and o-ring replacement guides linked to so often from TheGSResources.com and BikeCliff's site? If so, thank you IMMENSELY. Pictorial guides are so freakin' helpful.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #197
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
And bwringer, are you the guy who did the carb sync and o-ring replacement guides linked to so often from TheGSResources.com and BikeCliff's site? If so, thank you IMMENSELY. Pictorial guides are so freakin' helpful.
Yup, that's me!

Same username everywhere. I'm boring thataway.
Thanks!
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #198
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Shameless plug for anyone looking for a cheap but nice ride

V45 Inteceptor

Clean bike that doesn't need anything for well under $1500.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #199
hobbes23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Well I assume that "<1500" means "<1500"... anyways....

1991 K75s with 32k miles for $1500. Works well (minus the ABS). I changed the fluids and put new tires on it. Oh, I had to adjust the handle bars too. 500 miles so far and no troubles.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #200
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Suzuki GS550T

1981 model that PO's dad bought new in '83. Parked in a garage with a bad stator in 1996. Resurrected this summer after I bought it in June for $450. Repair costs:
$130 Stator
$100 Front Tire
$150 Carb manifolds, o-ring kit, and float bowl plugs
$55 New chain
$150+ parts and pieces
Back on two wheels after 22 years, priceless!

karitoki screwed with this post 10-08-2009 at 10:57 PM
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #201
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Here's my $50 1983 Suzuki GS450A.

Started talking to a woman about 6-8 houses away and around the corner. Turns out that her best friend was in my high school class and her sister-in-law ( the last registered owner is a sister of an employee at my work.

Weird.

The lady said that her husband had done nothing with the bike for the last 3 1/2 years but move it from one side of the garage to the other.

She insisted that I push the bike to my house that evening without paying her until they found the title. She REALLY wanted to take over some garage space again.

I'm not going to tear it apart as much as I did my CB550K, though, this one is much cleaner. Tank is full of rust and I've had vinegar in it for a week to loosen that crud up. The petcock is jammed on 'Prime", even though I've partially disassembled it. I'm not sure how the carbs are yet. Drained about an ounce of old gas from one and nada from the other. Each side cover has some damage and it needs a new battery.

But hey - $50 bucks! I've never had a Suzuki before. If this Youtube video is roughly accurate of another GS450A, it won't sound too bad when it's running again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mDSHreM8c

I didn't even know that Suzuki made an automatic until I discovered this little bike.

Cheap bikes will give you many hours of things to think about, especially if they are not running.

Anyone ever own one of these critters? Any advice is welcome.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 04:04 PM
brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #202
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,556
Looks pretty good, especially for the price. Fix up the fuel system, new rubber and battery you'll probably be good to go.
I used some stuff called Rusteco to clean and coat a tank. It was much cleaner ( only one process ) and paint safe than the other stuff.
Have you found the GS appreciation thread in Old Scool?
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #203
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Thanks! I posted in it a while back, I did see another GS450 thread where one guy ratted out an '80 model - complete with a saw blade for a seat. It still looked pretty good. I like rat bikes, but I think I will try to keep this one stock, since it is not a common model. Not that it's worth big $$$ or anything.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 04:55 PM
brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #204
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 879
i got this one for free(allmost free,i have to buy him a good diner),94 k1100 lt.

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #205
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster

Started talking to a woman about 6-8 houses away and around the corner. Turns out that her best friend was in my high school class and her sister-in-law ( the last registered owner is a sister of an employee at my work.

Weird.

The lady said that her husband had done nothing with the bike for the last 3 1/2 years but move it from one side of the garage to the other.

She insisted that I push the bike to my house that evening without paying her until they found the title. She REALLY wanted to take over some garage space again.

I'm not going to tear it apart as much as I did my CB550K, though, this one is much cleaner. Tank is full of rust and I've had vinegar in it for a week to loosen that crud up. The petcock is jammed on 'Prime", even though I've partially disassembled it. I'm not sure how the carbs are yet. Drained about an ounce of old gas from one and nada from the other. Each side cover has some damage and it needs a new battery.

But hey - $50 bucks! I've never had a Suzuki before. If this Youtube video is roughly accurate of another GS450A, it won't sound too bad when it's running again.

I didn't even know that Suzuki made an automatic until I discovered this little bike.

Cheap bikes will give you many hours of things to think about, especially if they are not running.

Nice little bike. The price sure was right! My advice would be to become well acquainted with the following web sites:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
http://www.thegsresources.com/
Ain't no way my bike would have ever run were it not for the sage advice their fine members provided. Good luck getting that little GS running again!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #206
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k
i got this one for free(allmost free,i have to buy him a good diner),94 k1100 lt.

Free?! I hope you take him to Ruths Chris or El Gaucho for that sweet deal. Great snag!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #207
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
I'd like to add that if you have bad knees, the same probably applies. :) My knees have been killing me since I've started working on my GS550L.

++++++++++++++++++++++1
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #208
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,207
my first three bikes were under $1500....
n laid down on both side and I bought it for $1500 and fiber glassed the fairing back together and rattle-canned it to make it "better looking"
first bike was a Bultaco with a Honda motor in it..... $300. My dad gave it away when I went away to college

my second bike was a Yamaha Seca 650. Mint and I paid $1000 for it

third bike was an FZR600 - It has bee

just a few years ago I bought a CB400F off of eBay "by accident" for $1500 with no title or registration but my wife loved it

...and I can still steal it now and then and rail it!!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #209
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
My current under $1500 bike:

Bought it for my daughter to get a little riding experience on. Inexpensive, and no plastics to scrape up.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #210
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster

Weird.

I've noticed an odd thing on this forum, there seems to be a high percentage of VW vans and Subarus in the background of bike photos. Does our mindset steer us towards vehicles with a boxer engine?

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote