Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #211
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear
I've noticed an odd thing on this forum, there seems to be a high percentage of VW vans and Subarus in the background of bike photos. Does our mindset steer us towards vehicles with a boxer engine?
I've never owned a VW, but we have had 7 Subaru's, including the 2 current ones.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #212
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
I sold the Vanagon a week or so ago. It was a '82 non-runner that my Dad bought in '84. When he junked it in 2005 (without telling me), I rescued it, threw $1200 at it, and it mostly sat. The fuel line broke and the battery died. It was rusty, but the interior was pretty good. I miss it, but not enough where I'd want it back in my driveway. But it took me 2 years to finally decide to Craigslists it.

VW-hijack off.

That gsresouce site is great. I found out how to turn the engine, even though the bike is an automatic and doesn't have a kickstart. Take the right-side ignition cover off and put a wrench on the big nut. Wiggle it gently to see if it is locked. I was able to free it up last night. Now to rebuild the carbs and try to salvage the tank and petcock.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #213
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
That gsresouce site is great. I found out how to turn the engine, even though the bike is an automatic and doesn't have a kickstart. Take the right-side ignition cover off and put a wrench on the big nut. Wiggle it gently to see if it is locked. I was able to free it up last night. Now to rebuild the carbs and try to salvage the tank and petcock.[/quote]

Yeah, that site is great, especially the step-by-step directions (with pictures!) on how to rebuild the carbs.
My tank was toast too, but I just drained out the old gas (after removing the bad petcock), rinsed it a couple of times, then when I was sure there was no residual fumes I dumped about a pound of sheet rock nails in with some soapy water and shook the liv'n snot out of it. That got rid of the rust flakes. After draining, rinsing, and letting it dry, I decided it was good enough for this season. I had a brand new petcock that would do ok filtering out the small stuff and so far it's worked fine. Again, I'll be doing it right once the weather turns, but for now it's good 'nuf.
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #214
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
It's ALIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...405923778.html

This just happened this afternoon, so I don't know if this is a victorious deal or a pathetic waste of money, yet.

I don't know if CL links go away, so it is a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast with 40k miles, titled, but last registered in 2006, for $500.

I will add my own pics, soon, and will be posting a lot to seek advice on bringing this puppy back.

I can't believe I actually rode this thing today. To tell the truth, when I started digging down to the carburetors, I felt it was a pro-forma attempt before trucking it to a mechanic.

I printed off a few pages of the service manual, and poked, sprayed and scrubbed anything that looked like it should admit gas. I had heard about gasoline turning to varnish, but I never took it literally. Damn, it was a pretty shade of green. I should have taken a picture so I could match a paint color to it.

I was surprised and thrilled when I put the carbs on this morning and it started. I face considerable challenges daily in my work and home life, but to get this working was a rare pleasure.

I hate to take the wind out of my own sails, but when all is said and done, it is a Pacific Coast. I think I understand the controversy about these bikes. It was sort of like driving a Toyota Camry. I will quote myself from after test driving a Camry last year "Yes, you hit the gas and it goes--quite quickly, but there is no sensation attached. The driving experience is like hitting the button on an elevator..."

Time will tell if this bike grows on me or gets sold. I did find a lot of broken tabs on the plastic and zip tied pieces when I was working on it. I guess I will become familiar with Plasti Weld and bike painting.

Daffy Duck
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #215
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
My Cheap Bike

1986 Yamaha Radian, picked this up in the spring, been a great starter bike!

Fleece Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #216
nedodjija OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Johnson
1986 Yamaha Radian, picked this up in the spring, been a great starter bike!

I got one of these in non working condition for $350 and put anther 300 in it. It did not look as half as good as yours. How much did you pay for it?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #217
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by karitoki
I decided it was good enough for this season. I had a brand new petcock that would do ok filtering out the small stuff and so far it's worked fine. Again, I'll be doing it right once the weather turns, but for now it's good 'nuf.

Try to keep the tank closer to FULL until you do it properly to avoid more rust now.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #218
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
I hate to take the wind out of my own sails, but when all is said and done, it is a Pacific Coast. I think I understand the controversy about these bikes. It was sort of like driving a Toyota Camry. I will quote myself from after test driving a Camry last year "Yes, you hit the gas and it goes--quite quickly, but there is no sensation attached. The driving experience is like hitting the button on an elevator..."

It took a few years for me to get into mine, but that dull competence builds trust, and it'll take you around the corners pretty well.
You'll soon appreciate the convenience of that trunk too.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #219
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Paid a bit more than I should have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedodjija
I got one of these in non working condition for $350 and put anther 300 in it. It did not look as half as good as yours. How much did you pay for it?
I paid about 1k more than you did. But considering it had new tires, brakes, fork seals and oil, and an oil change, an the condition and I'm less than mechanically inclined I figured it was worth it!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #220
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
Try to keep the tank closer to FULL until you do it properly to avoid more rust now.
Will do!
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #221
Qingdao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
I paid about 1k more than you did. But considering it had new tires, brakes, fork seals and oil, and an oil change, an the condition and I'm less than mechanically inclined I figured it was worth it!!!
FRIGGIN BEAUTIFUL BIKE. I love it. Have fun out there.
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ilHhhHQys
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #222
Cromagnum Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Looked like this in the morning

Made me sick so 1/2 hr with the spanners and it now looks like this

Thew plan is to make it an everyday rat ridin bobber for under $1500......
Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 AM   #223
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,825
Quote:
You did very good for yourself. I don't know why, but I have always found favor with the Radians.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #224
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,640
Paging XS500RUS. He wins -- he got his XS500 for $50 and rode it across the country and back.

I got my first bike, a 1990 XT350, from a coworker for $500. I learned to ride on it, then sold it to my best friend when I upgraded to my Triumph Bonneville. I don't have any pics handy of it while I owned it, but here it is after I sold it (looks exactly the same).

I passed on the $500 deal to my friend, and he was supposed to pass it on to the next person in the line of succession (this bike had been passed among friends for years for $500) -- except he just never sold it. Still has it, and it's his only bike. Unfortunately he doesn't ride much anymore. I should buy it back from him.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #225
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Raidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
You did very good for yourself. I don't know why, but I have always found favor with the Radians.
Well in a year or two when I'm looking to upgrade I'll look you up.....that is if the wife doesn't dump it in the meantime!