User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #2506
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
next bike

Just picked this up this past monday, Jan 20th. It's a 1997 Yamaha Seca II, has 13k miles on it, and I got it for $800. This is picture is of it on the trailer ride home. It starts up and runs but needs it's chain oiled and adjusted or eventually replaced, left side turn signals' bulbs replaced, and that's about it to get it road ready. It's got recent new tires, a V&H 4-1 exhaust system but I'll eventually take it back to the stock exhaust for less noise and easier oil changes and center stand usage.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #2507
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Just picked this up this past monday, Jan 20th. It's a 1997 Yamaha Seca II, has 13k miles on it, and I got it for $800. This is picture is of it on the trailer ride home. It starts up and runs but needs it's chain oiled and adjusted or eventually replaced, left side turn signals' bulbs replaced, and that's about it to get it road ready. It's got recent new tires, a V&H 4-1 exhaust system but I'll eventually take it back to the stock exhaust for less noise and easier oil changes and center stand usage.

SCORE! I remember I had a good case of motorcycle lust when those Seca II's were introduced. Nice find!
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #2508
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I know what I'll be doing in January:

Had to throw a few parts on the bike so we could haul it home. Ran out of room in the trunk.

"WAh-La"
Back to Life:

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #2509
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
looks good!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #2510
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
"WAh-La"
Back to Life:

Awesome! Way to bring one back to life!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #2511
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post

My first bike was a 93 SECA II, great do it all bike. I still have a ton of documents (digital copy of manual, carb cleaning pdf and etc), if you want copies, let me know.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #2512
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by red450 View Post
My first bike was a 93 SECA II, great do it all bike. I still have a ton of documents (digital copy of manual, carb cleaning pdf and etc), if you want copies, let me know.
Thanks, PM sent.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #2513
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I see bikes on CL which say "lost title" or "no title" and they are usually very cheap because of that.

What's the deal with these? I'd guess some have just misplaced the title, some are salvage bikes, and some are stolen? So, is it as simple as checking the VIN # with the DMV to see the bike's status? Then if the if the bike is not stolen or has a salvage title a replacement title can be applied for?

Is it as simple as that, or are there other complications that can pop up?
In some cases, "no title" bikes are not stolen, but I can think of at least a couple of situations that are pretty common in the motorcycle world:

Bike was Purchased and then financed. The bank that finances the bike holds the title. At some point, the original buyer quit making payments.

Now, for a car this would normally result in a repo, but a lot of bikes just aren't worth it to repo, so the original purchaser just keeps the bike registered in his name but when he goes to sell it, of course, he doesn't have the title.

This can be complicated by the fact that at least a couple of the companies that finance motorcycles have gone under, meaning that the location of the title may not even be known. I went through this a few years back when someone I knew got into trouble (like, jail-type trouble) and wanted me to sell his motorcycle to raise cash. Couldn't do it because he had quit making payments several years before and we couldn't find who still held the 'paper' on the bike: Every place we looked was a dead end. The original lien holder was bankrupt, the company that bought them was bankrupt, etc. Who knows where that title ended up.
Of course, Even if we had found a lein holder, they were certainly not going to release the lein until they had been paid back for the remaining payments due on the lien plus interest and probably a bunch of other charges - all of which would have greatly exceeded what the motorcycle was actually worth at that time.

Second situation: Frank owes Joe $500. So Frank says "I'll let you keep my Yamahondakawazuki until I pay you back." Frank never does pay Joe back and in the meantime, Frank has died, moved out of state, joined the navy, gone to prison, etc, and Joe's wife is bitching at him to "get rid of that old bike you never ride." Frank may have the title, wherever he is, or it may have gotten thrown away. Either way, Joe, the guy selling the bike on CL, doesn't have it.

Variation on the above: Frank is shacked up with Mary Jane Rottencrotch for a few years and leaves his old bike in her back yard. Then they break up and years later, Mary Jane's new boyfriend/common law husband says "why don't we get rid of that old POS?"

IMO the majority of the street bikes you see that are sold for "parts only" or "track use only" fall into one of these categories.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #2514
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I see bikes on CL which say "lost title" or "no title" and they are usually very cheap because of that.

What's the deal with these? I'd guess some have just misplaced the title, some are salvage bikes, and some are stolen?
I think a lot of the old "project bikes" are just as claimed. The same way people have a drawer full of keys they have no idea how to use, people don't keep track of a bike's paperwork when it's been propping up a wall for 20 years. Sure, they could get a replacement title, but 20 years ago they were too lazy to synch their carbs or replace a chain to keep their bike on the road - don't expect initiative from them now. :)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #2515
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 724
I forget exactly what I paid for it, $300 or so. It's a true barn bike, bought new in '72, ridden until '82, then stored until I bought it in 2012. It's complete with an owners manual and most of the tool kit. The tires hold air for a little while, the motor turns over, and the oil doesn't look too bad. the carbs are gummed up and the chrome is pitted. I'm tempted to bring it in the house and pull out the carbs while it's winter.

Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #2516
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
1981 Yamaha SR250

$325

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #2517
yarg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
1981 Yamaha SR250

$325
This is MY cheap bike too, have been tinkering with it all winter. Let me know if you need any info, I have the service manuals.
yarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #2518
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
This is MY cheap bike too, have been tinkering with it all winter. Let me know if you need any info, I have the service manuals.
Cool! This one runs really well, just needs some sorting out. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be stripping away most of it and just keeping the bare bones.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #2519
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Cool! This one runs really well, just needs some sorting out. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be stripping away most of it and just keeping the bare bones.
Several SR250 projects (in several different categories) on Do The Ton.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #2520
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Does it count if you paid $1500 and had to dump money into it? LIke my 88 XT350 that I'm putting a con rod and piston in. Or I would be if I could get the dam fly wheel off.