Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #256
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461

$1600. Just a tad outside the range. Needs a lot of maintenance items, but a lot of bike for the money. 2002 Bandit 1200.

It's a buyer's market out there right now. If you have the money, it's the time to buy.

Az
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #257
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
You need money, space, and time to buy right now.

I have a bit of money I could swing, but I'd have to stash the machinery at a friend's house, and have no time at all to actually do any work.

My current bike is at my parent's, and my mom threatened to put me and my stuff on the streets if I show up with another vehicle. That is why I can't wait to move, and start my real job.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #258
aplaceinspace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257

$1,250 OTD. When opportunity knocks be sure to have cash and a trailor.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #259
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB

$1600. Just a tad outside the range. Needs a lot of maintenance items, but a lot of bike for the money. 2002 Bandit 1200.

It's a buyer's market out there right now. If you have the money, it's the time to buy.

Az

Nice work.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #260
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB

Az
You're going to love that bike. I have a 2001 naked 1200. I added a flyscreen richened the jetting, and changed fuel valve to pingel, but otherwise left it stock. BTW, the stock fuel valves are prone to failure and will dump gallons of fuel into your crankcase and all over the garage floor.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #261
krellheat
Pepsi Challenged

Oddometer: 2,029
$742 Project Bike

Turn this 2000 R1100R

Into this a GSA or a Revamp.

Parts donations will be gladly accepted.
I may convert it into a GS or rig it up with a sidecar with a proper front end or a rat bike (http://www.ratbike.com) depending how much I have to sink into it.

Devil's advocate. Hell conscientious and informed and downright argumentative dissenter.
krellheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #262
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic
You're going to love that bike. I have a 2001 naked 1200. I added a flyscreen richened the jetting, and changed fuel valve to pingel, but otherwise left it stock. BTW, the stock fuel valves are prone to failure and will dump gallons of fuel into your crankcase and all over the garage floor.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to leave it as stock as possible. All my other bikes are fast, loud, high strung, and maintenance intensive, so this will be my utility bike. It will take a lot of self control for me not to mod it, but that's the goal.

Az
Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #263
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Great scores and good work!!!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #264
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to leave it as stock as possible. All my other bikes are fast, loud, high strung, and maintenance intensive, so this will be my utility bike. It will take a lot of self control for me not to mod it, but that's the goal.

Az
Hahaha........I say pretty much the same thing....if I want to ride a fast, loud angry motorcycle I hop on my R6. The Bandit is like riding your sofa....very comfortable for all day rides and way powerful in a usable kind of way....... the naked wheelies very easy also as it was geared a bit lower than the 1/2 faired model........anyway, a great score for $1600.00! Enjoy :-)
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #265
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Bought for $400 - There were little chipmonks type creatures living in the carbs. Tank full of rust. Didn't run at all.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
liz bikes 1
cb profile

Turned into this......

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Back up tank
Photobucket
Photobucket

With about another $500 bucks and approx 3 months of dicking w/ it. Ran like a top! Biggest budget cutter was re-working, cleaning, and re-furbishing all the stock parts to work instead of replacing w/ new OEM or aftermarket parts.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #266
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Picked this up for $950 missing everything you see missing. Put no more than $400 into here and came out w/ this. Sold for $3300

Photobucket

AFTER

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #267
rkatapt
Indo-Kraut

Oddometer: 261
Some damn nice rides in here.

I picked this up for $1,000 a little over a year ago. It ran like crap when I got it but, I rebuilt and sync'd the carbs (bike came with two rebuild kits )
This thing runs pretty strong now. Slowly but surely fixing it up.

rkatapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #268
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
It's alive and legal.

I shoe-horned in the new exhaust, taped over the broken tail lights and the Commonwealth of Virginia thinks it's just dandy.

I am starting to enjoy this bike, but it still has a problem (aside from cosmetics). Under hard acceleration, or when it reaches 5000 rpm, a roaring noise comes from the carb area, and power drops off. The wisdom from the Pacific Coast group is that the clutch is slipping, which I can believe. I noticed that the air filter had some holes at the edge of the pleats, and I suspect the paper is flapping in the increased suction and letting too much air through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
For a bike that I have ridden for a total of 34 miles, it feels like we have gone a long way. With a long, long, way to go.

I had not touched a carbeurator since completely screwing up a Holly 4bbl on my 1981 Plymouth when I was in high school, but I dove in and took these apart. I always thought that varnish in the carbs was a figure of speech, until I saw the lovely green SOLID mass in the works. I poked, prodded, scrubbed and sprayed until it was all gone. The next day, I put them in and it started! I wasn't expecting that.

I got it registered, adjusted the rear brake light and took it in for inspection. It failed, which I expected, but it was due to a leaky exhaust--everything else worked. Cost at that point, $17 for Sea Foam and carb cleaner.

I now have a used exhaust on order from ebay, some new body parts that were missing, an oil filter and plugs, plus Plastex--total of about $300.

Last night, I took off the left, lower covers, which appeared in good condition, but rained down broken tabs as I loosened the screws. I might need more Plastex.

Daffy Duck
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #269
CruisnGrrl
Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer: 229
June, last year I picked up my first bike $1000, an 83 xj 750 maxim (I was looking for a cruiser but got that instead, glad i did). It needed new forks (125$) and a new seat ($40) and a couple bolts and a bit of tlc. I road it until november when the primary chain guide shattered and jammed the transmission into first gear (unwanted project). I was told it would be over 1k to fix and i may as well buy a new bike. I figured well if a new bike cost 1k and fixing it cost 1k I may as well fix it myself, worst thing that could happen is i didn't fix it and i still needed a new bike. with the help of the online XJ community I fixed it. I also picked up a crashed 84 xj 750 maxim for parts ($300)... well it needed minimal stuff ($100) to make road worthy so i fixed it instead of stripping it and I now had two bikes for a total cost of 1525....

My RFS Page
CruisnGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #270
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl
June, last year I picked up my first bike $1000, an 83 xj 750 maxim (I was looking for a cruiser but got that instead, glad i did). It needed new forks (125$) and a new seat ($40) and a couple bolts and a bit of tlc. I road it until november when the primary chain guide shattered and jammed the transmission into first gear (unwanted project). I was told it would be over 1k to fix and i may as well buy a new bike. I figured well if a new bike cost 1k and fixing it cost 1k I may as well fix it myself, worst thing that could happen is i didn't fix it and i still needed a new bike. with the help of the online XJ community I fixed it. I also picked up a crashed 84 xj 750 maxim for parts ($300)... well it needed minimal stuff ($100) to make road worthy so i fixed it instead of stripping it and I now had two bikes for a total cost of 1525....

Atta girl. Where's the pics?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote