Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #301
isleofman86
wannabe cafe racer

Oddometer: 42
Damn Duck!!! I was debating picking that one up myself! If only i didn't have a bike already. Good buy and good luck fixing it up.
-1983 Suzuki GS850G
-1990 BMW K75
-1981 BMW R65 RS
-1976 Yamaha XS 650
isleofman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #302
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
OK, YFFs, I'm in.

This stray followed me home today. (On my trailer.)

Picked it up off of Craig's List for a grand. 1991 K75S. Heck, the bags are worth $350 by themselves so I figure it's a pretty god deal.

Dead battery and hasn't been run in a year or two. I took a battery with me but it wouldn't start. I could hear the fuel pump though so it probably just needs the fuel system cleaned out and some fresher fuel injectors.

All in all, it's in pretty good shape with 42k on the clock. Been dropped at least once on each side but in the parking lot so there's just some minor scrapes on the engine covers and the fairing is solid. The seat is shot but I picked up a nice Corbin Dual Sport in October for $75.

I think it'll clean up quite nicely. I don't have room in the garage but it's supposed to be clear (and cold) this weekend. Plan to get it running, change the fluids and give it a spline lube. Hopefully I'll have a nice running K75S by Monday.
Nice find. I plan to do fly-and-ride from the PNW next summer, so I've been watching craigslist out that way for the past several months. Seems to be a lot of good candidates up there for $2k and under. I get a kick out of finding a deal on a cool bike and riding back home across country on it. I'd certainly consider a BMW K75/100.
motorcyclefanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #303
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclefanatic
Nice find. I plan to do fly-and-ride from the PNW next summer, so I've been watching craigslist out that way for the past several months. Seems to be a lot of good candidates up there for $2k and under. I get a kick out of finding a deal on a cool bike and riding back home across country on it. I'd certainly consider a BMW K75/100.
As you can tell, I do like K bikes. I realize they're not the only bike on the world (all bikes are great IMO) but it's what I know. One of the nice things about doing a K bike fly-n-ride is that, if it's running, you've got a damned good chance of making it home. I've done a half dozen or so and even the K75RT with 170k I bought got me home without a hitch.

If you do one from Seattle, look me up. I'd be happy to go look at it for you or help you give it a once-over once you're here.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #304
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
As you can tell, I do like K bikes. I realize they're not the only bike on the world (all bikes are great IMO) but it's what I know. One of the nice things about doing a K bike fly-n-ride is that, if it's running, you've got a damned good chance of making it home. I've done a half dozen or so and even the K75RT with 170k I bought got me home without a hitch.

If you do one from Seattle, look me up. I'd be happy to go look at it for you or help you give it a once-over once you're here.
I had a K1200LT a few years ago, put about 8k on it in two years. I liked it, but it was a little big and heavy for my tastes, but the motor was great.
Thanks for the offer, don't be surprised if I take you up on it.

And to get back on theme, but with a little stretch on the $$'s, here's a 1989 TZR250 I bought on ebay about 4-5 years ago for $2250. Buy-it-now, within an hour of its listing. Didn't run that well, but was beautiful. It took me about a year to sort it out, put the oil injection back on it, got an original airbox, jetted the carbs back to stock. I got it running pretty good, but it was still hard to ride on the street. Sold it on ebay about 2 years ago for $4800, I think I could have got more.

motorcyclefanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #305
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjespirit
With the tips I read here on shining aluminum around the engine, the covers now look more like chrome.

Did you coat those parts, or do you just keep re-polishing?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #306
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
I picked this up for half of the $1500 limit then added some stuff I made and some stuff from the pile to make a decent traveler.I have about $1000.00 in it and it's taken me 8000 miles to date.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #307
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Sweet bk
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #308
Messorius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My 82 450 Nighthawk. Bought her for my first bike this summer for $495. Have about 1k invested so far with new brakes, bulbs, gaskets, chain, tank, side covers, yak yak yak and it's road ready as of today , if not too pretty as of yet. Only 5 months to go until I can legally ride X.x

Messorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #309
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messorius
My 82 450 Nighthawk. Bought her for my first bike this summer for $495. Have about 1k invested so far with new brakes, bulbs, gaskets, chain, tank, side covers, yak yak yak and it's road ready as of today , if not too pretty as of yet. Only 5 months to go until I can legally ride X.x

More power and best wishes to you Messorius, guys like you are the future! Good luck on getting{then keeping } the licence.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #310
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messorius

Great way to start, shows you're thinking! Take it easy the first few months and do a bunch of parking lot practice to get the slow spped feel down and panic stops. oh yeah, HAVE FUN

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #311
Dozer1
i ride your bike

Oddometer: 298
this is my pride, bought it MINT for $800 with 5k on it, rode the piss out of it for 2 years, and I'll never get rid of it..Not that anyone wants it either

Picked this up for $0, still not sure if I want to keep it or sell it...

$275 for my ex girlfriend, now it just sits outside awaiting me to get un-busified and fiddle with it, or just ride it like it is, or not.
"Once again there is tons of South Americans, Europeans and miscellanious Asians strolling around but dang few Americans. They are probably busy working overtime saving up for just the right bike, gps, saddle bags, blue tooth, crash bars, audio mixer/wahatever. Work harder, faster I am sure that next bike will be the one to make you happy."
www.flickr.com/noahscialom
Dozer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #312
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Any prob with your dirtbike bars clearing the tank?
You got the goldwing free? Does it run?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #313
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Here's my cheap ride.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #314
Crunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo
Any prob with your dirtbike bars clearing the tank?
You got the goldwing free? Does it run?
I believe that Gold Wing is actually a PC800.

'08 B-King

RED DRAGONS!!!
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #315
Messorius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
More power and best wishes to you Messorius, guys like you are the future! Good luck on getting{then keeping } the licence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy
Great way to start, shows you're thinking! Take it easy the first few months and do a bunch of parking lot practice to get the slow spped feel down and panic stops. oh yeah, HAVE FUN
Thanks! I'm itching to reserve my course spot in February, going to try to be in one of the first classes in April. They just built an industrial park here that has huuuge parking lots and it's connected by little "small town theme" streets(lights and stop signs) that'll be perfect after hours. Even has a range of inclines.
Messorius is offline   Reply With Quote