Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #736
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie Nelson View Post
I was suspicious of mine being 30 years old and only having 2k miles on it. Those suspicions went away as soon as I took the engine apart.
Well, that kind of proves my point. By the time you took your engine apart you've already made a deal - good or bad! They usually don't let you take the engine apart BEFORE the deal has been made, no?
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #737
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Good be suspicious, save the awesome deals for the rest of us. I suppose you want a carfax too.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #738
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
In my roughly 30 years of being around motorcycles, I've seen about 5 total (first hand) with over 100K on them. I have however seen many, many bikes both new(er) and 30 yrs old with under 10k miles. I think you can rest pretty easy.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #739
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
Well, that kind of proves my point.
Common sense when evaluating the bike disproves any point about needing to be suspicious it rolled 100k.
I've been around bikes since the late 60's and consider myself a pretty good judge of condition, and able to tell a 100k bike from a cream puff.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #740
Wheelie Nelson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
Well, that kind of proves my point. By the time you took your engine apart you've already made a deal - good or bad! They usually don't let you take the engine apart BEFORE the deal has been made, no?

i wasn't suspicious that the speedo had been rolled. i just thought maybe he could have taken it off for a few miles.
Wheelie Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #741
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
$850 04 Ninja 250 that sat for a while, rough running at idle, but revs nicely everywhere else.. Two-Bros. slip-ons are LOUD!!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #742
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
$850 04 Ninja 250 that sat for a while, rough running at idle, but revs nicely everywhere else.. Two-Bros. slip-ons are LOUD!!

REPLACE THOSE DUNROCKS! (before you start riding in the spring.) Sounds like a carb issue, probably needs a cleaning. I would also suggest a valve adjustment.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #743
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
REPLACE THOSE DUNROCKS! (before you start riding in the spring.) Sounds like a carb issue, probably needs a cleaning. I would also suggest a valve adjustment.
The foot brake lever is bent and signs of laid down, previous owner replaced body parts, pegs and barends to make Ninja look like new.

Tires are doing ok, I'm not riding this thing aggressively enough to to worry about them, especially with roads are still overed with snow and derbis.

Carbs are ok, too.. after a running full tank of fresh fuel mixed with SeaFoam.

Valves were done last June (300 mi. ago) according to the previous owner, running the Ninja through and through 12k rpm for the last 200 miles or so, I can see/hear no need for valve adjustment.

I'm just going to find some chrome OEM mufflers and replace the LOUD Two-Bros. slip-ons.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #744
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
The foot brake lever is bent and signs of laid down, previous owner replaced body parts, pegs and barends to make Ninja look like new.

Tires are doing ok, I'm not riding this thing aggressively enough to to worry about them, especially with roads are still overed with snow and derbis.

Carbs are ok, too.. after a running full tank of fresh fuel mixed with SeaFoam.

Valves were done last June (300 mi. ago) according to the previous owner, running the Ninja through and through 12k rpm for the last 200 miles or so, I can see/hear no need for valve adjustment.

I'm just going to find some chrome OEM mufflers and replace the LOUD Two-Bros. slip-ons.
A friend of mine races a 250 Ninja of the same vintage and might be interested in your slip-ons once you find a set of replacement mufflers- drop me a line if you wish to sell the Two-Bros set.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #745
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
I have never paid more than $1 per cc for a bike, except for one Harley that I bought a few years ago.

That's just one of my personal guidelines. They may not have been cosmetically beautiful, but that didn't matter.

I have always had a lot of fun with my bikes, but I've never had a show bike!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #746
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
In my roughly 30 years of being around motorcycles, I've seen about 5 total (first hand) with over 100K on them. I have however seen many, many bikes both new(er) and 30 yrs old with under 10k miles. I think you can rest pretty easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Common sense when evaluating the bike disproves any point about needing to be suspicious it rolled 100k.
I've been around bikes since the late 60's and consider myself a pretty good judge of condition, and able to tell a 100k bike from a cream puff.
Well, I have to admit I was never in the market for bikes that old, but based my observation on the fact that I'm not really riding as much as I'd like to, am living up north where riding season is relatively short, never did any big mileage touring and am still averaging ~12K kms (~7.5k miles) per year.

But I'm glad to be wrong with this!
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #747
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Picked up this little gem last night for $340 from the original owner. '76, missing the tail light, front fender and headlight, but everything was SUPER clean. Gas tank, carb, frame, PERFECT seat, even the tires. I was going to restore it, but it's so nice I think I'm just going to clean it and ride it!

This is as I got it, with nothing cleaned/removed yet. Pit bike for the boat races... and maybe some profit after that!

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #748
Scrapvalue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Paid $450 for 2 CB750's.
One 1976 and the other a 1974. Both were a little ruff but had potential.
Had been sitting in a basement for 15 years. Guy bought them to fix up with his son.
Son is now graduated from college and moved away. Guy wanted them gone.
Cleaned one set of carbs and got both motors running. Decided to do a build.
Listed the tank and side covers for the 76 on ebay and they sold for almost $350.
Sold the exhaust which was nice but not perfect on ebay and got almost $400 for them.
Spent about $500 dollars on the build,(money was no object).
So as it stands, I have about $100 rapped up in this bike.
Have put over 7000 miles on it. A lot of them were put on in and around the everglades. A lot of them in the mountains of north Georiga and N. Carolina and a bunch in N. Michigan.
I still have the other 750 for parts or another build. This is one expensive hobby!
Attached Images

There's a fine line between COURAGE and STUPIDITY!
Scrapvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #749
Scrapvalue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
A little action shot!
Attached Images

There's a fine line between COURAGE and STUPIDITY!
Scrapvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #750
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 236
Way back in late (October or so) '07 I was checkin' out the 'Other for Sale' section of another BBS I'm on, and saw this, an '81 Yamaha XS400:

That's pretty much what it looked like when we brought it home, minus the 1/2" of garage dust & dirt it had on it from sitting. The ad read '$500 OBO'. PO said it ran, but poorly and he didn't know why. I didn't care, it was clean (relatively speaking, meaning no rust or pits in the chrome), complete, came with a box of miscellaneous spare parts, and I needed a bike on which I could teach my now-wife how to ride. We loaded it up in my truck without so much as a test ride and I traded the guy a Springfield 1911A1 wide-body for it, straight up.

Got it home, cleaned it up super-duper good, bought a new battery, put fresh gas in it.

Tried to start it up and it would chug-a-lug for a few revs then die. I ripped into it and found one of the dual carbs looked like this:

I went to a race board I'm on and asked if this could be fixed, or did I need to source a new carb body. More than half the respondents told me that cheap, early '80s, Japanese pot metal can't be welded. A fabricator I know in N. Ga. (honestly, the best welder I've ever seen or heard about) got on there and took it as a challenge that he could fix it. So we drove up there, and for free, just the bragging rights, he fixed it. He got it to look like this:

Put it all back together and she ran like a top after I dialed in the float height and all that.

My wife and I both rode that bike on and off for all of 2008 (about 1,500 miles) until December '08 when she bought her current ride, a 2008 Ninja 250. It was a great trainer bike for her and we sold it to a kid for $800 in the early spring of '09.
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote