Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #841
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Then buying and selling any thing in your book , without adding value would some how be UN-ethical ? With all due respect to a fellow biker , I couldn't disagree more . When the building business went south a few years ago , I liquidated numerous construction companies . I profited handsomely from it . I took the risk , the builders got badly needed cash , and again I profited from my taking on the RISK !

When we go to work every day , some one either ourselves or our employer has to profit from it . If there are no profits , there are no jobs .

Lets say for the moment that Joe has lost his job , and can't find another one due to the economic conditions . Now lets say he creates his own job by buying and selling things . Now lets say he profits from this venture enough to support his family . Is this UN-ethical ?

The answer is NO ! He is providing a buyer for the seller , then he is providing some thing the a buyer wants . It may take several months to re-sell what ever it is , but he lives with that . He also lives with the fact that he could lose money . In the end the flipper takes on all the risk , he may win and he may lose . In the interim he has provided a seller with cash , and provided a buyer with an item . The two key words here are SERVICE & RISK .

That's my 2 cents

TheReaper!
Not my definition, it was Brian-M's. I just re-worded it because people seemed to be having difficulty understanding the concept. Personally, I could care less. I know it is a consumer driven market. If you buy something with the intention of flipping it and the market goes away, you're stuck with that thing whether you put anything into it or not. There's your RISK.

However, it also goes to the general state of ethics in our society. Apparently there was a time when people took pride in what they did and wanted to do things in a manner that made the world a better place. It seems Brian-M's ethical flip falls into that category.

Your SERVICE & RISK speaks more to the way things are today. You did all the work to find a good deal and expect to be rewarded for that work by receiving a profit when you sell the product. Your SERVICE didn't do anything to improve the product, except maybe bring it to the attention of a larger audience or take advantage of someone who doesn't possess the skill you do at acquiring a deal. I get that. I suppose in a way that's ethical too.

I wish I had the skillz you do so I could pepper this thread with all the good deals I found. I wish I had the skillz Brian-M has so I could bring a motorcycle back from the brink of the scrap heap and return it to a happy motorcycle life. I don't so I get the satisfaction of knowing there are people like you who provide a SERVICE and must take the RISK of dealing with you.

That said, I'm going to take a bike I probably paid too much money for and let get very close to the scrap heap because of my disease and attempt to get it back on the road. Too bad I can't post the pics here when (if) I get it done.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #842
lestatlioncourte
Then imma probe U!

Oddometer: 44
hey guys... i know i can set a record here
i got a 1991 Yamaha XJ 900 for a swap with a laptop... Funny thing is i rode it home no problems, starts fine pulls fine... just love it (except for the weight)
Beat that!
lestatlioncourte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #843
jpdude999
Rider on the Strom

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer View Post
However, it also goes to the general state of ethics in our society. Apparently there was a time when people took pride in what they did and wanted to do things in a manner that made the world a better place. It seems Brian-M's ethical flip falls into that category.
I more or less agree with Brian-M, but I don't see it as an ethical issue, more of a pay-it-forward type of deal. You get a killer deal on a bike and know you can flip it for a profit. Do SOMETHING, change the oil, or maybe the air filter. You could lube the chain, or just wash the bike, anything to make it just a bit better than you found it. Kind of a good karma thing. YMMV.
VSRI #17387

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
jpdude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #844
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer View Post
Not my definition, it was Brian-M's. I just re-worded it because people seemed to be having difficulty understanding the concept. Personally, I could care less. I know it is a consumer driven market. If you buy something with the intention of flipping it and the market goes away, you're stuck with that thing whether you put anything into it or not. There's your RISK.

Your SERVICE & RISK speaks more to the way things are today. You did all the work to find a good deal and expect to be rewarded for that work by receiving a profit when you sell the product. Your SERVICE didn't do anything to improve the product, except maybe bring it to the attention of a larger audience or take advantage of someone who doesn't possess the skill you do at acquiring a deal. I get that. I suppose in a way that's ethical too.

I wish I had the skillz you do so I could pepper this thread with all the good deals I found. I wish I had the skillz Brian-M has so I could bring a motorcycle back from the brink of the scrap heap and return it to a happy motorcycle life. I don't so I get the satisfaction of knowing there are people like you who provide a SERVICE and must take the RISK of dealing with you.

That said, I'm going to take a bike I probably paid too much money for and let get very close to the scrap heap because of my disease and attempt to get it back on the road. Too bad I can't post the pics here when (if) I get it done.

The last thing I want to do is getting in a pissing contest over this .

I was just trying to explain that buying and selling things isn't UN-ethical .
Home Depot buys stuff wholesale and sells stuff retail , it's a business .
For the life of me I cannot understand how buying from a willing seller , and then selling to a willing buyer is UN-ethical ???

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #845
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
Oh wow. This is just never going to stop. This thread is about cheap bikes. If you all want to argue over the ethics of buying/selling, PLEASE start another thread. Nobody cares, and nobody wants to see you talk about it anymore.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #846
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Capitalism good- now back to the bikes.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #847
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Oh wow. This is just never going to stop. This thread is about cheap bikes. If you all want to argue over the ethics of buying/selling, PLEASE start another thread. Nobody cares, and nobody wants to see you talk about it anymore.
AGREED!
Stop the ethical chat.
Post <$1500 deals. End of story,
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #848
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatlioncourte View Post
i got a 1991 Yamaha XJ 900 for a swap with a laptop... Funny thing is i rode it home no problems, starts fine pulls fine... just love it (except for the weight)
Beat that!

Nice! Now if you say the laptop was a 1993 Gateway 486-33 I'll be really impressed!
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #849
jpdude999
Rider on the Strom

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Beat that!
Did you at least run a defrag on the laptop first?

VSRI #17387

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
jpdude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #850
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Beat that!
How did you ride a laptop home? How much does it weigh?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #851
lestatlioncourte
Then imma probe U!

Oddometer: 44
ooh... i knew you guys would be jealous.
lestatlioncourte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #852
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,661
Bluhduh Two pages now, and only one bike pic!

I was going to wait to add my bike to this thread, but due to a recent lack of pics....

Here is my project Kat that I am building into a rat-street-fighter. She should end up being road legal for less than $500. I paid $360.

She's a beater! Once I am done with 'er, she should be an ugly but willing ride.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #853
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I was going to wait to add my bike to this thread, but due to a recent lack of pics....

Here is my project Kat that I am building into a rat-street-fighter. She should end up being road legal for less than $500. I paid $360.

but, how do you pay $360 for motorcycle? $350 i understand, $375 i understand. 360?? why not $363.19.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #854
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
but, how do you pay $360 for motorcycle? $350 i understand, $375 i understand. 360?? why not $363.19.
You can't get 350 or 375 from a stack of twenties.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #855
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
You can't get 350 or 375 from a stack of twenties.
DOH!!
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote