ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #841
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission
 
theWolfTamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Firmly planted in the Georgia red clay
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Then buying and selling any thing in your book , without adding value would some how be UN-ethical ? With all due respect to a fellow biker , I couldn't disagree more . When the building business went south a few years ago , I liquidated numerous construction companies . I profited handsomely from it . I took the risk , the builders got badly needed cash , and again I profited from my taking on the RISK !

When we go to work every day , some one either ourselves or our employer has to profit from it . If there are no profits , there are no jobs .

Lets say for the moment that Joe has lost his job , and can't find another one due to the economic conditions . Now lets say he creates his own job by buying and selling things . Now lets say he profits from this venture enough to support his family . Is this UN-ethical ?

The answer is NO ! He is providing a buyer for the seller , then he is providing some thing the a buyer wants . It may take several months to re-sell what ever it is , but he lives with that . He also lives with the fact that he could lose money . In the end the flipper takes on all the risk , he may win and he may lose . In the interim he has provided a seller with cash , and provided a buyer with an item . The two key words here are SERVICE & RISK .

That's my 2 cents

TheReaper!
Not my definition, it was Brian-M's. I just re-worded it because people seemed to be having difficulty understanding the concept. Personally, I could care less. I know it is a consumer driven market. If you buy something with the intention of flipping it and the market goes away, you're stuck with that thing whether you put anything into it or not. There's your RISK.

However, it also goes to the general state of ethics in our society. Apparently there was a time when people took pride in what they did and wanted to do things in a manner that made the world a better place. It seems Brian-M's ethical flip falls into that category.

Your SERVICE & RISK speaks more to the way things are today. You did all the work to find a good deal and expect to be rewarded for that work by receiving a profit when you sell the product. Your SERVICE didn't do anything to improve the product, except maybe bring it to the attention of a larger audience or take advantage of someone who doesn't possess the skill you do at acquiring a deal. I get that. I suppose in a way that's ethical too.

I wish I had the skillz you do so I could pepper this thread with all the good deals I found. I wish I had the skillz Brian-M has so I could bring a motorcycle back from the brink of the scrap heap and return it to a happy motorcycle life. I don't so I get the satisfaction of knowing there are people like you who provide a SERVICE and must take the RISK of dealing with you.

That said, I'm going to take a bike I probably paid too much money for and let get very close to the scrap heap because of my disease and attempt to get it back on the road. Too bad I can't post the pics here when (if) I get it done.
__________________
Training to slay theWolf

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #842
lestatlioncourte
Then imma probe U!
 
lestatlioncourte's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: London
Oddometer: 44
hey guys... i know i can set a record here
i got a 1991 Yamaha XJ 900 for a swap with a laptop... Funny thing is i rode it home no problems, starts fine pulls fine... just love it (except for the weight)
Beat that!
lestatlioncourte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #843
jpdude999
Rider on the Strom
 
jpdude999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer View Post
However, it also goes to the general state of ethics in our society. Apparently there was a time when people took pride in what they did and wanted to do things in a manner that made the world a better place. It seems Brian-M's ethical flip falls into that category.
I more or less agree with Brian-M, but I don't see it as an ethical issue, more of a pay-it-forward type of deal. You get a killer deal on a bike and know you can flip it for a profit. Do SOMETHING, change the oil, or maybe the air filter. You could lube the chain, or just wash the bike, anything to make it just a bit better than you found it. Kind of a good karma thing. YMMV.
__________________
'11 DL650 ABS "CHiP"
VSRI #17387

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
jpdude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #844
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer
 
TheReaper!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: S.E. Michigan
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWolfTamer View Post
Not my definition, it was Brian-M's. I just re-worded it because people seemed to be having difficulty understanding the concept. Personally, I could care less. I know it is a consumer driven market. If you buy something with the intention of flipping it and the market goes away, you're stuck with that thing whether you put anything into it or not. There's your RISK.

However, it also goes to the general state of ethics in our society. Apparently there was a time when people took pride in what they did and wanted to do things in a manner that made the world a better place. It seems Brian-M's ethical flip falls into that category.

Your SERVICE & RISK speaks more to the way things are today. You did all the work to find a good deal and expect to be rewarded for that work by receiving a profit when you sell the product. Your SERVICE didn't do anything to improve the product, except maybe bring it to the attention of a larger audience or take advantage of someone who doesn't possess the skill you do at acquiring a deal. I get that. I suppose in a way that's ethical too.

I wish I had the skillz you do so I could pepper this thread with all the good deals I found. I wish I had the skillz Brian-M has so I could bring a motorcycle back from the brink of the scrap heap and return it to a happy motorcycle life. I don't so I get the satisfaction of knowing there are people like you who provide a SERVICE and must take the RISK of dealing with you.

That said, I'm going to take a bike I probably paid too much money for and let get very close to the scrap heap because of my disease and attempt to get it back on the road. Too bad I can't post the pics here when (if) I get it done.

The last thing I want to do is getting in a pissing contest over this .

I was just trying to explain that buying and selling things isn't UN-ethical .
Home Depot buys stuff wholesale and sells stuff retail , it's a business .
For the life of me I cannot understand how buying from a willing seller , and then selling to a willing buyer is UN-ethical ???

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #845
nigelcorn
Wannabe.
 
nigelcorn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Oddometer: 781
Oh wow. This is just never going to stop. This thread is about cheap bikes. If you all want to argue over the ethics of buying/selling, PLEASE start another thread. Nobody cares, and nobody wants to see you talk about it anymore.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #846
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,321
Capitalism good- now back to the bikes.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #847
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer
 
Yokomo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: The Little Apple
Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Oh wow. This is just never going to stop. This thread is about cheap bikes. If you all want to argue over the ethics of buying/selling, PLEASE start another thread. Nobody cares, and nobody wants to see you talk about it anymore.
AGREED!
Stop the ethical chat.
Post <$1500 deals. End of story,
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #848
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer
 
Hank.SD's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sodak
Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatlioncourte View Post
hey guys... i know i can set a record here
i got a 1991 Yamaha XJ 900 for a swap with a laptop... Funny thing is i rode it home no problems, starts fine pulls fine... just love it (except for the weight)
Beat that!

Nice! Now if you say the laptop was a 1993 Gateway 486-33 I'll be really impressed!
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #849
jpdude999
Rider on the Strom
 
jpdude999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatlioncourte View Post
hey guys... i know i can set a record here
i got a 1991 Yamaha XJ 900 for a swap with a laptop... Funny thing is i rode it home no problems, starts fine pulls fine... just love it (except for the weight)
Beat that!
Did you at least run a defrag on the laptop first?












__________________
'11 DL650 ABS "CHiP"
VSRI #17387

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
jpdude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #850
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatlioncourte View Post
hey guys... i know i can set a record here
i got a 1991 Yamaha XJ 900 for a swap with a laptop... Funny thing is i rode it home no problems, starts fine pulls fine... just love it (except for the weight)
Beat that!
How did you ride a laptop home? How much does it weigh?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #851
lestatlioncourte
Then imma probe U!
 
lestatlioncourte's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: London
Oddometer: 44
ooh... i knew you guys would be jealous.
lestatlioncourte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #852
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,661
Bluhduh Two pages now, and only one bike pic!

I was going to wait to add my bike to this thread, but due to a recent lack of pics....

Here is my project Kat that I am building into a rat-street-fighter. She should end up being road legal for less than $500. I paid $360.


She's a beater! Once I am done with 'er, she should be an ugly but willing ride.
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #853
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dorzok's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,666
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I was going to wait to add my bike to this thread, but due to a recent lack of pics....

Here is my project Kat that I am building into a rat-street-fighter. She should end up being road legal for less than $500. I paid $360.



but, how do you pay $360 for motorcycle? $350 i understand, $375 i understand. 360?? why not $363.19.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #854
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
but, how do you pay $360 for motorcycle? $350 i understand, $375 i understand. 360?? why not $363.19.
You can't get 350 or 375 from a stack of twenties.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #855
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dorzok's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
You can't get 350 or 375 from a stack of twenties.
DOH!!
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014