ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #1021
Langdonius
Adventurer
 
Langdonius's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Oddometer: 43
1982 cb900f

I traded a Savage .308 and a Glock 19 (together I probably spent about $1200 on them brand new) for this 1982 CB900F and most of a 1981 donor bike earlier this summer. It came running and registered with a new battery, tires, rebuilt clutch, and Saddleman seat installed. It's been real cold-blooded on chilly mornings, but when I took the carbs off to clean them they were pristine. I may just get it rejetted. I've got to fix something that snapped in the clutch a couple of days ago and I really do need to address the oil that keeps my left boot well lubed, but I think I made out pretty well. Not bad for two guns that were sitting in the safe untouched for a few years.
Langdonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #1022
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: New Zealand,Scotland,Arizona USA.
Oddometer: 389
Four Suzuki DR650's for just over $2000......only one has come close to $1500 @$1300(bought 4 for $3300,sold of the parts i dont need,$1300 returned!).
Attached Images
 
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #1023
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Kittery Maine
Oddometer: 256
That is one fine looking dr650 you have there. Very clean
__________________
04 FZ1, 06 DRZ400 SM
gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #1024
Scrapvalue
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdonius View Post
I traded a Savage .308 and a Glock 19 (together I probably spent about $1200 on them brand new) for this 1982 CB900F and most of a 1981 donor bike earlier this summer. It came running and registered with a new battery, tires, rebuilt clutch, and Saddleman seat installed. It's been real cold-blooded on chilly mornings, but when I took the carbs off to clean them they were pristine. I may just get it rejetted. I've got to fix something that snapped in the clutch a couple of days ago and I really do need to address the oil that keeps my left boot well lubed, but I think I made out pretty well. Not bad for two guns that were sitting in the safe untouched for a few years.

Kids come with it, or did you have to pay extra for them?
__________________
I ain't scared, just a little concerned about my personal well being, that's all!

There's a fine line between COURAGE and STUPIDITY!
Scrapvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #1025
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dorzok's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,774
^^^
i bet that's Savage on the back and Glock on the front.
Dorzok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #1026
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer
 
hugemoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In the TARDIS
Oddometer: 2,760
New bikes under $1500

4 years ago today we bought these 200cc Lifans for $1375.00 each including shipping. They're all still running great. Mine on the left turned over 29,000 miles on Tuesday when this picture was taken.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #1027
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer
 
Yokomo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: The Little Apple
Oddometer: 2,245
What year are those?
Does the odometer read 29,000? If so, those are kilo's, not miles. Still very impressive though!
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #1028
Langdonius
Adventurer
 
Langdonius's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Oddometer: 43
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
^^^
i bet that's Savage on the back and Glock on the front.

Hahaha. Oh, I assure you I paid extra for those two.
Langdonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #1029
ScottS
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: kansas
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdonius View Post
It's been real cold-blooded on chilly mornings, but when I took the carbs off to clean them they were pristine. I may just get it rejetted. I've got to fix something that snapped in the clutch a couple of days ago and I really do need to address the oil that keeps my left boot well lubed, but I think I made out pretty well. Not bad for two guns that were sitting in the safe untouched for a few years.
Not bad at all, Have you checked your valve clearance as of yet? My old Suzuki don't like to go when the valves get snug. Especially first thing on a cool morning.

Beautiful models you have there.

Scott
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #1030
Langdonius
Adventurer
 
Langdonius's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Oddometer: 43
Next on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Not bad at all, Have you checked your valve clearance as of yet? My old Suzuki don't like to go when the valves get snug. Especially first thing on a cool morning.

Beautiful models you have there.

Scott
I haven't checked the valves yet, but it's on my short list. Thanks for the suggestion. I figured they might be the issue and your comment reinforces that a bit.

And thank you. They're pretty awesome kiddos.
Langdonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #1031
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer
 
doogiepooch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Canton, NC
Oddometer: 945
$1,500

$1,500 later
__________________
Current: 13 Ninja 300 Past: 12 KLR650, 09 Ninja 250, 98 VFR, 88 KLR650, 88 XT350, 07 ZX6R
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves....Edward R. Murrow
www.nationalmssociety.org
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #1032
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,569
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
4 years ago today we bought these 200cc Lifans for $1375.00 each including shipping. They're all still running great. Mine on the left turned over 29,000 miles on


That's pretty interesting!
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #1033
Cousin Jack Goudger
Adventurer
 
Cousin Jack Goudger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Oddometer: 40
Cheap old bike; old, pre-digital picture....

Bought this '78 Suzuki GS in about 1984. Paid $600 for it, and my wife and I (my girlfriend, then) turned it into a poor man's tourer with aftermarket soft luggage, tent, and sleeping bags! We went all over the Pacific Northwest looking like this.... the bike had stator problems, and we would carry a trickle charger. At night, we'd remove our battery and sneak around the campground looking for an unattended outlet. We'd plug it in, cover it up with leaves and tree limbs, and reinstall in the morning! Had great fun and great times with this simple, cheap bike! Wish I had it back!
Attached Images
 

Cousin Jack Goudger screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 03:28 PM Reason: wrong picture~
Cousin Jack Goudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #1034
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I will be posting soon about a 1983 GoldWing. $500.00 so far and I will be transforming it into a FrankenWing.
Now affectionately known as the Big Brown Turd. Soon to be known as FrankenWing.

$177.00 for licensing.
$158.50 for New front Master Cylinder so I can get rid of the ridiculous linked brakes. Now the rear brake also operates the front right caliper… And the Front brake lever only operates the front left. I am converting to front works front and rear works rear. (as it should be)

A trip to Napa got me new timing belts, an oil filter, four new spark plugs, a radiator cap, radiator hose and a new thermostat. $88.71

^^^ None needed just me being cautious and doing some preventive maintenance.

$30 for one into two brake splitter and miscellaneous other bits.

$454.21 invested so far. I still need new front brake pads. $26 an air cleaner $16 brake fluid, coolant and two front brake lines…$100+/- So I guess I am over the $500 guesstimate a little.

But the bike came running great with freshly rebuilt carburetors, new fork seals and new tires. I hope to recover some of the cost by selling off the fairing and bags.

Pictures soon.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib

DAKEZ screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 11:01 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #1035
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer
 
Yokomo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: The Little Apple
Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Jack Goudger View Post
Cheap old bike; old, pre-digital picture....

Bought this '78 Suzuki GS in about 1984. Paid $600 for it, and my wife and I (my girlfriend, then) turned it into a poor man's tourer with aftermarket soft luggage, tent, and sleeping bags! We went all over the Pacific Northwest looking like this.... the bike had stator problems, and we would carry a trickle charger. At night, we'd remove our battery and sneak around the campground looking for an unattended outlet. We'd plug it in, cover it up with leaves and tree limbs, and reinstall in the morning! Had great fun and great times with this simple, cheap bike! Wish I had it back!
Seems I have the most fun on the cheap, small, simple ones!
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014