Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #1336
Clawsonj
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
Just picked this up for $1100 1993 Yamaha GTS1000
Awesome find! I've always admired those bikes, but I've only seen 1 in person. Definitely cool and quirky. Too bad the tech wasn't developed more by Yamaha, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clawsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #1337
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Last month I sold the "uphostlered" intergral cases for $200 so that brought my total cost down to $300 for the bike, $125 for title/reg, an extra clutch plate that I had lying around and a couple of days of my labor for a 93 K1100RS.

Not a bad deal....

duck screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 06:24 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #1338
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.zardoz View Post
I bought my two RD350LC's for $1700.00, before anyone gripes me for being over the 1500 mark let me explain. The rider cost me 1200 and the parts bike cost me 500 ;)

RD350LC

tyz
I had a white one once, long ago. Was a Canuck model that i snagged after i sold my first ZX750A. Very nice bike. Theni moved to VT and had to sell it. The mate i sold it to locked it up in club racing. : so ka.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #1339
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawsonj View Post
Awesome find! I've always admired those bikes, but I've only seen 1 in person. Definitely cool and quirky. Too bad the tech wasn't developed more by Yamaha, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quirky.... yes a bit. I have all the plastics off and doing some basic maintenance before deciding what is next. When working around the bike I put my hand on the front swing arm pivot cap and .... SNAP wow that was plastic it will be interesting finding a replacement. I guess that is the pleasure of owning something unusual.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #1340
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust View Post
I don't think I've bought a single bike for more than $1500. /counts on fingers.... Yup, all were under $1500. All ran too, at some point. A few were too far gone to actually do anything with, but one of my favorites was the Goldwing w/ Hack.
That hack looks like it was a lot of work. But hey, it cost less than 1/10th what I would expect to pay for one that runs...

By the way, no assembled pics in your thread on it? Now is nearly 2 years later, did you ever finish?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #1341
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
That hack looks like it was a lot of work. But hey, it cost less than 1/10th what I would expect to pay for one that runs...

By the way, no assembled pics in your thread on it? Now is nearly 2 years later, did you ever finish?
Yes, I "finished" in a sense. Right around the time everything in life got busy while I should have been bored, and never updated the thread. I have maybe three drafted posts about finishing it up sitting around somewhere.

Long story short: Swapped the motor for an ebay find, rebuilt/sync'd the carbs, rebuilt/painted the brakes (mc's and calipers, new pads etc), had a bunch of welding done to get the hack stable where it mated with the bike, bunch of plastic work on the fairings, cleaned the dickens out of everything, rode it and got it tested+roadworthy, almost performing well and sold it to a guy who was going to do a custom paint job and ride it. Last I heard from NYS DMV it was never put back on the road. Sad, but a good learning project. I needed to move on anyway.

Maybe sometime I'll actually be able to finish the thread, but more likely I'll pick up something new and just go with that.
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1342
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
74 Moto Guzzi California

I bought this bike as a non-runner, mainly for the 4 leading shoe front brake.

After playing around with it for a while I realised I could get it running again. As of today, it is back on the road, legal, and ready for some new adventures - all for less than the 'Cheep Bike Challenge".

before

after

and here's a brief camera video of her.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTmUz...ature=youtu.be

Nick

nick949eldo screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 03:15 PM Reason: added video link
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #1343
Dakota62
Prime of Senility

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post

After playing around with it for a while I realised I could get it running again. As of today, it is back on the road, legal, and ready for some new adventures - all for less than the 'Cheep Bike Challenge".

before

after

Nick
Great job Nick, very nice bike.
Dakota62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #1344
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,282
Cool Nick

That's the kind of cheap challenge I'm talking about.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #1345
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

before

after

Nick
omg i love you, that is fucking awesome. is it weird that i would rather jump on that and ride it through some shitty terrain instead of jumping on whatever bad ass superbike just released?
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #1346
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Nice work Nick
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #1347
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Awesome is a good description,wont let the Wife see that seat, damned if I'll put one of those on my bike.
Love the blued pipes that baby has been ridden.
gunnabuild1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #1348
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:

after

Wow.

I find myself having to re-evaluate what I've been doing with my life and my bikes... thanks - I think

You may have bought it for under $1500, but what did you have to put into it? This craiglist ad wants $13k for just about the same bike:
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2848588877.html
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #1349
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:

Nick
Being in the middle of a cheep bike challenge build I am having difficulty believing this as well. Elbow grease only goes so far.

LOVE the bike...But even if you paid $10 for it that only leaves $1,490.00 to do THAT?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #1350
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Wow.

I find myself having to re-evaluate what I've been doing with my life and my bikes... thanks - I think

You may have bought it for under $1500, but what did you have to put into it? This craiglist ad wants $13k for just about the same bike:
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2848588877.html
It may look a bit better than it really is. The paintwork, for instance, is Tremclad, applied with a foam brush then wet/dry sanded (endlessly repeat) the buffed with a fine soft wheel. I did the pinstripes with plastic strip from Canadiantire. The end result is a bike that doesn't look new - just nicely patinated.

The engine needed a new exhaust valve ($40), clutch seems good with a new cable (I had a new spare), gears work fine.

The rear drive splines were worn so I sourced a replacement from Harpers Moto Guzzi. It ended up being just as cheap to get a whole rear wheel (used) with good splines than replacing the spines alone.

I had the seat - ugly though it is. It was on my Eldorado when I bought it, and I had replaced it with a Stucci. Seemed appropriate to use it here. Other than that, just plenty of elbow grease.

Original cost - $1000. Rear wheel $350 + shipping. Mufflers from the local m/c wrecker - $50. Replacement shocks (wrecker) $35 pair. Paint, abrasives and cleaning stuff brings it up to around the $1500 mark.

Feeling of self-satisfaction as I rode it down the road for the first time yesterday (now legally on the road) - priceless.

Nick

Damn: I forgot I replaced the petcocks with new ones from MgCycle. That must have taken me up to about $1600 or so.

nick949eldo screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 10:09 AM Reason: forgot something
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote