User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #46
tennmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Pissed Atlantic

My buddy and I stopped by Destination mc in knoxville today right in the middle of a deal being made for an Aprilia Atlantic 500(700 miles). Asking price was $3317 and the buyer stood there and said with his Tn accent Ahh had $3200 in mah head. I felt like saying something wise to him but I just walked away. If I had the money I would have bid it up just to fuck him up and save the salesguy.
Is there any end to these Tight-Asses!
tennmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #47
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennmoto
My buddy and I stopped by Destination mc in knoxville today right in the middle of a deal being made for an Aprilia Atlantic 500(700 miles). Asking price was $3317 and the buyer stood there and said with his Tn accent Ahh had $3200 in mah head. I felt like saying something wise to him but I just walked away. If I had the money I would have bid it up just to fuck him up and save the salesguy.
Is there any end to these Tight-Asses!
Umm, no. I hate to be one defending a yokel, but it sure doesn't seem to me that he was a tight ass. Please explain to me why if the dealer prices something used that he doesn't have anymore wiggle room than the buyer? I can only assume the dealer took it in on trade and, like all dealers, was pretty damn tight with the trade in value.

But mostly your observation falls flat because of the cold, hard reality of value. Aprilia stopped making the Atlantic in '04 if I remember correctly. That was 5 years ago and the Atlantic isn't yet a collectible, vintage attraction for most folks. Hell, they stopped making it partly because demand was low and it didn't sell all that well. Those likely checked and dry rotted tires alone might be a hundred or so to replace. And this economy sucks and most scooter purchases are still luxury purchases. Aprilia is a boutique brand with limited distribution and limited appeal to buyers--either they really want one or its just a random purchase. Plus, they're just not worth all that much. Kelley Blue Book (yes, I know its not the perfect pricing guide) has '04's retailing for $3455 and '03's retailing for $3220.

Well, enough of that rant...
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #48
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew
At this point it would be between a BV 500 and a Buell Blast. I would lean towards the BV, it appears it would be better on long rides than the Blast. But I do love the simplicity (almost crudeness) of the Blast.

Currently I am riding a HD 200,it's a great all around scooter. The only thing I find myself wanting is a little more top end speed and a bit more weight when I am on a highway.
I too have considered a Blast time and again. I test ride one every now and then when I think I want to get back into motorcycles. But then I always seem to decide not to sell my 50cc Ruckus. The Blast is probably the perfect motorcycle for me: fast enough for the highway, small and light, excellent miles per gallon (probably better than that BV500), unique in design, simple to operate and repair. But I always seem to decide that I prefer twist-n-go, don't like motorcycle vibrations, use underseat storage and don't mind the hot engine behind me instead of between my legs. But I'd be hard pressed to say that any of my friend's were wrong if they bought one because they wanted a motorcycle.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #49
Submariner
GS Rider

Oddometer: 296
I am on a r-1150 gs and the next will be a Ural.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #50
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,286
Maybe one of this?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #51
red91sit2
37 h.p.

Oddometer: 34
I've decided on 2 Yamaha Razz! one for me :), and the nice one for the misses :( Pictures will be here soon
red91sit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #52
HBrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Erik Buell reads this forum?

Quote:
At this point it would be between a BV 500 and a Buell Blast. I would lean towards the BV, it appears it would be better on long rides than the Blast. But I do love the simplicity (almost crudeness) of the Blast.

Currently I am riding a HD 200,it's a great all around scooter. The only thing I find myself wanting is a little more top end speed and a bit more weight when I am on a highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
I too have considered a Blast time and again. I test ride one every now and then when I think I want to get back into motorcycles. But then I always seem to decide not to sell my 50cc Ruckus. The Blast is probably the perfect motorcycle for me: fast enough for the highway, small and light, excellent miles per gallon (probably better than that BV500), unique in design, simple to operate and repair. But I always seem to decide that I prefer twist-n-go, don't like motorcycle vibrations, use underseat storage and don't mind the hot engine behind me instead of between my legs. But I'd be hard pressed to say that any of my friend's were wrong if they bought one because they wanted a motorcycle.

You don't suppose Erik Buell killed the Blast because he found out scooter trash like it? Do you?
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #53
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
You don't suppose Erik Buell killed the Blast because he found out scooter trash like it? Do you?
Guilty as charged.

Of course, now that they've decided to kill it instead of replace it with something better I just might have to buy one.

What will Harley now use in its Rider's Edge training classes?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 AM   #54
tennmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
Umm, no. I hate to be one defending a yokel, but it sure doesn't seem to me that he was a tight ass. Please explain to me why if the dealer prices something used that he doesn't have anymore wiggle room than the buyer? I can only assume the dealer took it in on trade and, like all dealers, was pretty damn tight with the trade in value.

But mostly your observation falls flat because of the cold, hard reality of value. Aprilia stopped making the Atlantic in '04 if I remember correctly. That was 5 years ago and the Atlantic isn't yet a collectible, vintage attraction for most folks. Hell, they stopped making it partly because demand was low and it didn't sell all that well. Those likely checked and dry rotted tires alone might be a hundred or so to replace. And this economy sucks and most scooter purchases are still luxury purchases. Aprilia is a boutique brand with limited distribution and limited appeal to buyers--either they really want one or its just a random purchase. Plus, they're just not worth all that much. Kelley Blue Book (yes, I know its not the perfect pricing guide) has '04's retailing for $3455 and '03's retailing for $3220.

Well, enough of that rant...
I heard more today.
The Asshole buyer actually got it for $2700.With to many people like that around more businesses will fail.
tennmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #55
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennmoto
I heard more today.
The Asshole buyer actually got it for $2700.With to many people like that around more businesses will fail.
Excuse me but that is capitalism at work. The bike sold for what it was worth which is what someone is willing to pay.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #56
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Excuse me but that is capitalism at work. The bike sold for what it was worth which is what someone is willing to pay.
I have to agree. I have tried to address craiglist on this issue. Why doesn't this guy deserve a great deal again? If you wanna know what bikes are over priced, just scroll thru the hundreds and hundreds of bikes available on CL. All the bikes that are on the list ARE overpriced.... other wise, they would be sold (and hopefully delisted)

I used to buy sell trade vintage guitars. I had a guitar that I loved and would never sell. Everyone tried to buy it from me and I always turned them down. Times got tuff and I sold it on ebay. Several of my friends skawked at the deal the buyer got and berated me for selling it so cheap. But I paid my rent, a chore that none of my friends curiously wanted to do for me. I paid my rent... and that was that.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER

wanna bECO screwed with this post 08-08-2009 at 02:47 PM
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #57
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,644
I think that since CL is free, people tend to very optimistic with their asking price and their description of the bike's condition. Watch their ads and the price drops over time.
I did get a great deal on a scooter on CL.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #58
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Watch their ads and the price drops over time.
I did get a great deal on a scooter on CL.
yes, and YOUR sellers ad was delisted, that's why we didn't see it.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #59
Harry'O
Vespa 50

Oddometer: 42
2007 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie today, BMW R1200R tomorrow... Or, if my wife gets it her way (and she usually does) a Yammy 950 cruiser. I'm OK either way I guess, but if she gets bored with the Yammy I'm getting my BMW.
Harry'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #60
Neducati
Triumph nut

Oddometer: 80
Currently ride an '07 BMW R1200RT, '09 and '04 Triumph Bonneville T100s and an '07 Vespa GT200.

Currently considering a used MV Agusta Brutale 910S, a new Triumph Scrambler (would have to have the Arrow two into one system) or a new Vespa GTS 300 Super. Difficult decision.
1966 Triumph TR6SC Trophy Special
Neducati is offline   Reply With Quote