Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
cachorroLOUCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
dual sport conversion ideas/opinions for a Honda CB300R build.

What up everybody! this is the first thing i do in this forum,it has provided me great information on thumpers for a long time but i decided to make an account just recently,when i had the idea for a dual sport conversion on a small sport bike-like thumper . i couldn't find any info on this bike on the forum,it seems it's sold here in Brasil only. there are currently two bikes being sold with the same engine and main frame,and i believe eletric system. the cb300r and the xre300. i bought this as my first bike,learned how to ride on it until i crashed on an intersection,had the titanium frame around my leg and all the package for almost a year ,i'm still not walking so that's why i'm here searching,studying and getting ideas instead of just doing it right away,most people here in Brasil seem to cringe at the idea of converting this bike,so i want to do a solid project to shut everyone up. what i got so far is : Replacing the ugly ass headlight with 2 small led bars tucked between the forks,changing the speedo for a smaller one (still dwelling on this one) cuz of the price; aluminum circuit handguards,under the seat pipe,70% 30% tires on the stock wheels!! the other changes are mostly for aesthetics,like using a led fender eliminator etc. what i really need for you guys who are really experienced is suspension ideas,the bike weighs in at 154 Kilos,how should i go about it? I don't have a car so i use this bike for EVERYTHING,that's why it's hard to get set on a type of suspension. this is the bike Has anyone ever heard or seen it? what are your thoughts on this project? should i just get a dual sport bike and give it all up? because i would love to tweak on my original bike but idk,maybe it wouldn't be safe???.. idk...need advice. Peace
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:24 AM   #2
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 399
Hi!

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry for your accident, hope you get better soon...

It's a really nice bike, here, in Argentina it hasn't been sold, Honda just started selling the XRE 300 for a little while and right now I don't know if it is still beeing sold...

If you are changing the headlight of your bike, I could take it... I own a Tornado and use it for road trips and as a commuter.

I would consider it better to make such a conversion to the bike.. was it really damaged in the accident or is it fine?

Can you afford a swap for a XRE 300, a Lander or a Ténéré 250? (That would be a lot less difficult and leave you with a fully functional bike without any of the problems of modding a bike)

That's all for now, hope you get better!
Greetings!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, I hope you heal more quickly and completely.

Thirdly, you might post this in the section called "Some assembly required" that is a sub-forum dedicated to what you are proposing to do.

However, you may not get too much feedback, because your bike was never sold in the US and this is a US based forum with an international following.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,048
You want the fastest and best way I recommend trading the bike in on the CRF250L or similar dual sport. Why spend a bunch of money on trying to change the bike. You will spend more money on tires, bars, and all sorts of stuff to try to make it a dual sport than you would if you just sold it and bought a CRF.

I've been in bike sales long enough and motorcycles longer and will say THAT is the way to do what you want in the best way and one that will result in something that will meet your needs virtually instantly. If you want more power look at the Yamaha WR250R if available there.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
cachorroLOUCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Leo.G

i'm familiar with the tornado,it's a great bike. the engine of my bike and the xre300 is actually a big bored 250 from the tornado and cbxtwister,with 5 gears and E.F.I.. i will be selling this headlight soon,we may work a deal i'll sell it for cheap. the bike is new down to the bolts,insurance covered the fix,everything is new. i can afford the xtz250,tenere 250 or xre300,but,i don't know.. it sounds so boring y'know? i feel like working on this bike to have something unique and make people wonder ''what the hell was that?'' when i pass by. peace bro,ride safe thanks for the reply
Old 05-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
cachorroLOUCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, I hope you heal more quickly and completely.

Thirdly, you might post this in the section called "Some assembly required" that is a sub-forum dedicated to what you are proposing to do.

However, you may not get too much feedback, because your bike was never sold in the US and this is a US based forum with an international following.

Good luck
i will try that,thanks Kawidad,i believe the frame is similar to the old cbx250,and the engine from the xr250r so i will add the info and see what i get. thanks,ride safe
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
cachorroLOUCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
You want the fastest and best way I recommend trading the bike in on the CRF250L or similar dual sport. Why spend a bunch of money on trying to change the bike. You will spend more money on tires, bars, and all sorts of stuff to try to make it a dual sport than you would if you just sold it and bought a CRF.

I've been in bike sales long enough and motorcycles longer and will say THAT is the way to do what you want in the best way and one that will result in something that will meet your needs virtually instantly. If you want more power look at the Yamaha WR250R if available there.
thanks man,but the crf250l is extremely expensive and parts for it are hard to find,not to talk about the fuel milleage,also insurance. a modded bike is more than unlikely to be stollen. the wr250 is a dream,but they are not sold here and it would fall in the same category as the crf250l. parts for my currently owned cb300 go as cheap as 125 bikes. thanks for the reply
Old 05-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
atomikchicken
Miles Matter

Oddometer: 8
Cool Beans

I think taking a bike and twisting it into something it is not is so.......individualistic and maybe a touch masochistic. So tell the crowd following Bieber boys to bugger it. Go for it and please post as you go.

If I listened to the Bieber butt sniffers I would never have ridden my Victory more than 4 thousand miles a year. Instead I have many 25000 mile years, 4000 mile months and even a pile of thousand mile days. No windshield or luggage. And all done as the Army sends me away from home for months and years at a time.

Hack it, whack it and rattle can it or machine, gauge it and refine it. Just make it yours.

This from the Keys to Prudhoe Bay now that would be an adventure.
The man that created this still has the spirit.
atomikchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
cachorroLOUCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hack it, whack it and rattle can it or machine, gauge it and refine it. Just make it yours.

You spit the realness
Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachorroLOUCO View Post
thanks man,but the crf250l is extremely expensive and parts for it are hard to find,not to talk about the fuel milleage,also insurance. a modded bike is more than unlikely to be stollen. the wr250 is a dream,but they are not sold here and it would fall in the same category as the crf250l. parts for my currently owned cb300 go as cheap as 125 bikes. thanks for the reply

I'm not just talking CRF. I'm saying any dual sport, even an old one. They're built to deal with it, street bikes are not.

Back in the 70s I had a friend that just stuck a small knobbie on the back of an old Harley Rapido 125 street bike and flogged it mercilessly. It was a lousy bike for the purpose, but got him going until he did different. Just seems like a waste to ruin a street bike trying to make it what it isn't.

But do whatever works.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
cachorroLOUCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
I'm not just talking CRF. I'm saying any dual sport, even an old one. They're built to deal with it, street bikes are not.

Back in the 70s I had a friend that just stuck a small knobbie on the back of an old Harley Rapido 125 street bike and flogged it mercilessly. It was a lousy bike for the purpose, but got him going until he did different. Just seems like a waste to ruin a street bike trying to make it what it isn't.

But do whatever works.
The frame and engine of my bike are actually the same on the dual sport version of it,but i see what you mean. street bikes here below 300cc's are built for work instead of play. they are ''utilitary bikes''. that's why i believe it will be able to handle it.