Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
sashafox OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KTM 690 fairing without big tank and Rally Raid advice please.

Firstly hello, this is my first post on here. Been lurking for a while and trying to gather some info :)

Ive got a couple of KTM enduro bikes, a 250 and a 300 and have moved on recently from greenlaning to starting to do enduros. I fancy doing some longer distance adventure touring and some Rally Raids. Ive got a 690 SMCR that Im thinking of converting. I still want to be able to use it as an SMCR for track work and wquick blasts so dont really want to sell it to buy a 690 Enduro and could do without adding another bike to the growing list.

It seems that Ill be able to fit the entire front end off a KTM EXC so thats the front wheel, brakes and forks sorted.

Ill offer up an EXC rear shock to see if that will go straight on as Ive got a spare one and will also see if I can fit an EXC rear wheel.

Ive been looking at prepping the rest of the bike. The full fairing and big tank route is obviously appealing but looking at the range of the standard tank Im not sure I need the bigger tanks? The bikes supposed to do 65 to the gallon (UK, not US) giving a range of around 170 miles. Rally Raids like Hellas Rally seem to be made up of stages around 80 milkes long so I assume the bike would easily be able to cover that on the standard tank?

Are there any companies offering good quality (Ive been reading up on the forum and it seems not all fairing are the same quality) fairings that work without having to also fit a bigger tank?

Or maybe I should just go for the multi tank set up and not put fuel in them if I dont need to?

It seems there are two main good quality manufacturers for the fairing and tank systems:

https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/

http://www.ktmbasel.ch/travel/ktm-ba...avel-bike.html

From what I can gather it sems the Basel kit has the nod over the RR in terms of quality, is that correct?

Are there any other manufacturers I should also be considering?

Any and all advice is more than welcome. Not only about the fairing but also about what Rally Raids would be most suitable for a first timer and any info regarding generic 690 bike set upo. Any hints and tips, recommendations etc are very welcome.

Thanks in advance :)
sashafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
Racing2t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Somethig like this:

Stock tank, just the rally fairing. I know a guy in Spain that makes this one.
Racing2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
Racing2t
Adventurer

Here is the new version.

I think that he can fabricate the navigation bracket too.
More photos http://trail.mundoforo.com/image-vp118061.html
Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
sashafox OP
n00b

That looks great :) How effective are the fairings, do they make a significant difference?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
Racing2t
Adventurer

I don´t know the real effect of this fairings. I was looking for a fairing for my XTR and found this guy thant lives near my town and makes this things with fiberglass and I think that carbonfiber stuff too.

Where are you from? If you are interested, I can ask him his email.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
sashafox OP
n00b

Im in the UK. Yes, please ask him for an email address, that would be great, thanks :)
Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 381
Not sure why you'd want a fairing without the benefit of more fuel / range. 12 l doesn't go far - but to each their own.

I seem to recall that KTMTWINS or someone sells a fairing only setup - that uses the stock headlight - another strange option, given how crummy that light is. But if looks is all you want, that might be an option. About $800 bucks, I seem to recall.

My sig has a link to my RR EVO 1 build - there's another thread here on the EVO 2 also - with input from RR directly.

Regards,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashafox View Post

From what I can gather it sems the Basel kit has the nod over the RR in terms of quality, is that correct?
Hi Sashafox - not sure where you got that idea from? - the Bazel kit looks a bit more like a 690RR perhaps, but that is about it...

The Rally Raid Products kit (especially the EVO2) is of excellent quality and fit, and most importantly - made in the UK and available from stock, with a huge back-up for spares etc. never mind the issue of the price too!

If you need any more convincing, just give John (KTMmitch) a phone call and discuss your requirements with him - I doubt you will find any better customer service and after-sales support anywhere else!

Rally Raid Products can also advise and supply everything else you need to convert your SMC to a rally-spec machine - options regarding suspension - they pioneered the EXC front end swap, together with new inserts for the stock 690 forks to extend the travel - plus many other improvements to the suspension and the chassis... Then there is all the navigation gear options too - it really is worth contacting them, you won't be dissappointed, and since you are in the UK too - you can always visit them and check out their product lines?

I'd also agree with Canadius' - just running with the stock tank could well leave you short (the Hellas you mention does have short stages in comparison to most other events) - most requirements are a minimum 160kms range (+10%), and don't forget that in sand you can be doing as little as 10km per litre, especially with a grunty 690!

I agree the full rally fairing/tank combo looks cool - but one thing you might want to consider is starting off simple... Rally Raid also do a 5L auxiliary tank that fits on the opposite side to the exhaust, all plumbed into the main tank - that should take care of your fuel range for the majority of events, and you could go with a simple bar-mounted navigation gear set-up (the RRP one is very easy to fit and remove with just one connector, should you wish to convert the bike back for SM use from time to time) and perhaps just add a fly screen or fork-mounted fairing for longer trips and/or rally events - are plenty of off-the-shelf options out there...

The other option, like you suggest, is fit the Rally Raid EVO2 front tanks, but with just the radiator shrouds rather than the whole fairing (that can always be added later) - that would give you another 10L when you needed it, but you could also run them empty - and they really don't stick out very far anyway so the bike still feels nice and narrow.

Hope that helps!

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 11:26 AM
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 381
Two additional points came to mind that I'd recommend considering:

1) fairing support system. I've looked at some of these "fairing only" systems - and while I can't argue how smart they look, the bracketing/fairing support looks paltry at best. It's one thing to simply hold a fairing in place - like a sportbike. It's quite another to brace/support it such that the fairing - and the instruments it holds - would be least somewhat survivable in the event of a crash or at least a tipover.

By contrast, products like RR, as Jenny points out - are engineered as a system - not just bolting one piece on. I'm not sure how Quest does theirs, but RR's does an incredible job of tying in to the head stock, the frame, and the radiator - giving an incredible degree of support. Those are HEAVY DUTY frames - not just a couple aluminum braces.

2) Post-purchase vendor support. Maybe to the more mechanically apt who can easily fix/fab parts this means little - but I have found RR's post-purchase support on issues par excellence. They respond quickly - and I'm halfway around the globe from them. This is easily RR's greatest strength - I know they're backing their product all the way.

For a really small handle-bar mounted enduro-oriented fairing, I'd look at the HDB rally model - probably one of the better units out there in that configuration. But for frame mounted fairings - RR is likely going to give you the quality and longevity you'd expect.

Cheers,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I'd suggest you do this in stages.

Buy the bike. New or used. Ride the bike. Upgrade stuff as you feel it needs it.

If you go RRUK, you can upgrade tanks first, and if you really want the fairing/tower, you can add that later. I don't think the KTM Basel kit has that option.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 690 Enduro | 640 LC4 SM (sold)
gen is offline   Reply With Quote