Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
unknownperson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bluhduh XL600R... MX boots... can't shift. Help?

So I've seen this all over the internet. People get MX boots and all of the sudden they can't fit their foot under the shifter. Okay. Solutions? Need to break boots in and move the shifter up a notch or three.

Here's the thing...
  • First, the boots were used, so they have already been broken in.
  • Secondly, and this is where the main issue is: I moved the shift on my XL600R up a few notches and the boot fits under perfectly, but now the bike won't shift. Took it down the road, goes in first (obviously), go to shift into second and it pops into neutral. I lift my entire foot up, still in neutral. Slam my foot, leg, etc. to as high as the lever will go... still in neutral.

I moved the lever down a notch and now the boot doesn't fit under, but the bike shifts a bit better - though it still had some troubles shifting into third at times...

What am I doing wrong? I assume that the lever is hitting something and not able to travel the full distance required, but when I reached down with my hand and popped it up... it shifted. Do I just need a different shift lever?

Halp.

- Troy
Old 04-15-2015, 04:54 AM   #2
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
It's common when your not used to MX boots. It just takes a little time.
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,595
I had an XL600R and I almost always wear MX boots. I raised the shifter no more than one or two splines from what my work boot wearing friends think is normal. Not exactly an extreme amount and the bike shifted fine. The trick wearing MX boots is you have to get used to rotating your whole foot further down and under the shifter instead of just using your toes.

The shifter itself doesn't need to be crazy high because then you will struggle if you wear work boots - which I do sometimes. When I am standing and it sometimes isn't possible to get my foot turned that much to upshift, then I shift by catching the tip of the shifter with the edge of the sole. As said, it just takes getting used to wearing them.

You can see what I consider normal height for MX boots is about at or slightly higher than level with the peg and this shifter is a 1/2" shorter than stock since it was a repaired spare after breaking two that weekend:

Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,757
Your shifter is probably hitting the engine case or case saver somewhere. I had to notch out the case saver and bend the shifter on my XR650L when I moved the shifter up, into the position great dog shows, so that it still had full range of motion.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,595
My XL600R had a steel shifter so it could just be bent out a little. Or, in my case, bent back more or less straight after being twisted back under the peg from rock hits.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #6
unknownperson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks guys! I ended up raising the shifter up a couple notches from stock and bending the shifter out away from the engine case just a tad (it appeared to be scratching the case as it was - oops). After riding a couple more times, I'm getting better at shifting and am mostly just using the edge/lip of the boot to shift, although I occasionally tilt my foot under the shifter to shift... but that tends to get me wedged in! I have to move my leg in pretty odd ways to make it shift so maybe I just need to get used to it more.

I'm not totally convinced that I like riding with MX boots haha. I now have to lift my foot and stomp to downshift (maybe that's just me not being used to the stiffness of the boots?) and I still constantly miss shifting into second and third... a tad frustrating when riding spiritedly

Either way, I guess more riding is an order!