User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

Oddometer: 96
Yamaha XT225 highway cruising

Seasoned motorcyclist here wanting to get his first dual sport...looking for more of a challenge when doing these 400-600 miles day trips through the mountains of southern Appalachia. The more I look at the XT 225 the more I like it.

I am curious though as to whether or not it can survive a couple of hours of susperslab. I read its an extremely wide ratio gearbox, so thats good....most reports show 75mph easily in stock form. That makes me think (granted I THINK I WANT a small dual sport so I'm probably thinking irrationally) I can get away with cruising down the highway at 60-65 mph for extended periods of time without frying the engine. Can I?
ScenicCitySVCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicCitySVCult View Post
Seasoned motorcyclist here wanting to get his first dual sport...looking for more of a challenge when doing these 400-600 miles day trips through the mountains of southern Appalachia. The more I look at the XT 225 the more I like it.

I am curious though as to whether or not it can survive a couple of hours of susperslab. I read its an extremely wide ratio gearbox, so thats good....most reports show 75mph easily in stock form. That makes me think (granted I THINK I WANT a small dual sport so I'm probably thinking irrationally) I can get away with cruising down the highway at 60-65 mph for extended periods of time without frying the engine. Can I?
Yes. I have done many 12 hour days on mine. It will take a few mods to get the most out of it though. Jetting, snorkel and exhaust.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I wouldn't say it does 75mph easy. Yes it does it, but it is rung up a bit... Now 60, yes it will run all day at ease and get outstanding mpg.

How much you weigh? How tall? Mainly running slab or getting in the dirt too? I wouldn't say the xt225 is the bike I'd pick for more slab than dirt but I commute on my wifes xt 100 miles a week because it is the current best option in my situation. We're taking off in the morning for mountain riding and camping and the xt is perfect for her on this trip. 150 slab, about 100 miles dirt, camping gear ...perfect for the xt.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,044
My XT will cruise at 60-65 fine, but through any hills and headwind trying to hold those speeds will reduce the mpg to DR650 levels. It's much happier and more efficient at 50-55. I wouldn't worry about harming the engine; with that little carb even if you're wide open I doubt you'll send enough fuel mixture through there to build damaging heat, unless you are winding it high in a lower gear for extended periods.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
xt

Nice to hear the last 3 remarks as they mimic my experiences. Have had 3,
2@ 06, 1@ 2007. Have an 06 now all foo-fooed but stock carb, snorkel and pipe, just put jets back. I read once in a while where a person cruises at 70 on his xt and hits 85 on the GPS, none of mine did close. My first one I did all of the mods, typical, Z1, snorkel, main, pilot, 3 turns out. Ran great except at elevation of 7,000 and above, to rich. Problem was that I wanted higher top end to go from SoCal to Idaho so I put a 16 tooth front on it. Well between my fat ass and all of my gear that was TOOOO tall. Anything but flat and no wind had to down shift. Gas mileage suffered also. Coming home through 93 Nevada and then Vegas home, 105 deg and 35 mph winds. All of the hills between Vegas and home I could only go 38 mph. Too much weight, gearing and wind. Bad combo on a 225. The stock gearing would of been better with no wind and me being 75lbs. lighter. I-15 SUCKS anyway.
The one I have now has lots of goodies but just put the stock jets back in as didn't want to do snorkel or the Z1 as like the quiet exhaust. Mileage again suffered. Have a 4 gal Clarke and like 65-75 mpg as I just like to putt.
These are great, light, low, bulletproof, great mpg, super fun go anywhere bikes but if you think you need to cruise 65 on anything other than completely flat with NO wind look elsewhere. Bought a 88 nx250 yesterday and it has much more power and much easier time on the highway. 17 hp vs 26 hp. Huge difference.
nx is 60 lbs heavier also. Like the air cooled on the xt though, never overheats even in 106 temp riding very hard. Great bikes.
My 2 cents.

Happy riding,

heirhead
worlds worst mecahnic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,607
It can hang on an all day 200-400 day ride...dirt, dust,rain,highway, half sunk in mud, it takes it all. You need to have it at WOT and plan in advance if going up a large hill on a highway, but that's almost any small thumper.

I rode mine all over New England, best starter(and long term) bike out there in my opinion... lightweight (like 265-280 wet), simple, has the 6th gear, neutral riding position at a relatively low height, pulls like a tractor in lower gears, 70mpg, does an indicated 80 for me at the time 200lbs plus camping gear, long interval between maintenance, good mods and accessories available...what else could you want for under $2,000, sometimes $1,200 if you are vigilant?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

I am relatively large...about 210 lbs and 6'2. I am not the least bit concerned about riding such a small bike though. Realistically it'll prob. be 90/10 street/dirt. Not truly all that much superslab, about 75% secondary highways. I just need to be able to survive on the 3 & 4 lane highways just to get "out there" on it, you know?

This is encouraging though I think I may have found the model of bike I want. Now just time to find THE one.

I figure I will at least go two teeth taller on the rear sprocket to try and make it a tad more highway OK.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
I figure I will at least go two teeth taller on the rear sprocket to try and make it a tad more highway OK.
If possible, adjust the front sprocket so when you get to the good stuff you can do a quick swap back to stock.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
plan in advance if going up a large hill on a highway, but that's almost any small thumper.
Could someone please elaborate for me? I do about 90% of my recreational riding through mountain roads and when going on large trips I certainly do encounter several large secondary and primary highway hills to climb...
Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
If possible, adjust the front sprocket so when you get to the good stuff you can do a quick swap back to stock.
I had such a shitty time replacing the front sprocket on my SV650 I've always figured it'd be easier to replace the rear!

But realistically thats not a viable option for me...I don't wanna be changing out sprockets all the time :/
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
HMMWV
Makin Dust

Oddometer: 22
CAN the mighty XT do 75? Yes. Is it wrung out? Yes. Is there anything left? No.

One thing not mentioned here, is when you're talking freeway riding, just being able to keep up at 65 or 75 is not enough, IMHO. Out here in Phoenix, the speed limit on the freeways around town are 65. If you're doing 65, you're the slowest thing out there. Not that it's a problem, but what I don't like is not having much left to get out of a crappy situation (that knot head merging onto the freeway while talking on the cell phone). My XT is all stock, and I say that 70 is about all she's got (it starts to get a little squirrelly above that), so my "always have an out" loses one dimension there.

You started by saying superslab, so I assume you're talking 65+ mph freeways. Just know that at the speeds other cars will be going, you may not have much left. I would probably look at some better lighting on the ass-end as well. Anytime I've had to use the XT to commute, and if I'm going to have to ride at night, I've alway used a reflective vest. Last thing I want is to get plowed over at 65 mph by the douche doing 80 in the right lane (or center lane). Then again, he/she will probable be updating their Facebook, so strobe lights may not even help.
HMMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
I had such a shitty time replacing the front sprocket on my SV650 I've always figured it'd be easier to replace the rear!

But realistically thats not a viable option for me...I don't wanna be changing out sprockets all the time :/
10 minutes max, 4 when you get quick, to change front. Have 13-16. Bought 16 but have not put it on because always hauling lots of gear and 16 is too tall. 13 will climb tree if you don't lose traction and can hang on. Also can still cruise 50 with 13. Wouldn't recommend you buy new rear till you load bike up and ride in real conditions, hwy, up hills, wind, try to keep it at 60-65. With your size. stock rear will be great.

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 AM   #13
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Yamaha XT225 highway cruising

I must live on a different planet than you guys . Same height and weight as the OP and I found the WR250r to be dubious at a true gps 65. Hills and head wind were issues. It was modded so it probably had twice the HP as the XT.

Is there a legit reason you need such a small bike given your height? At the very least I would say bump up to a WRR, but more realistically a DR650 if you are not a fan of revving the bike to the moon (I'm not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR

Gundy screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 03:41 AM Reason: typo
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
CloudSplitter
Putterer

Oddometer: 95
It's All in Your Expectations

Scenic Cult, it sounds like you won't be expecting to accelerate from 65 on the superslab, and you'll be right. I rode a Honda CL200 to work on I 95 for a couple years, including winter, and never felt I needed more power. I recently got an XT250, and am happy with its power.

Back then, I weighed about 190 lb, and now it's 245, but the extra power lets me feel comfortable at even 70 mph, versus about 60 on the 200. Of course I'm a little shorter, now that I'm old and shrinking. Then I was 6' 10". Now it's 6' 8".

Just got back from a short ride on the TET, and rode a couple hours each way on the superslap with full adventure gear, to get there and back. I IN-tend to keep it down to 60 to 65 mph, but TEND to go 70 or even 75 at times (but can't do 75 uphill or against a strong wind).

Do I miss being able to accelerate from 70? Not really. It's usually safer to slow down in a crisis, and/or pull over.

Just smile

Dave
CloudSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
ScenicCitySVCult OP
All Dangle No Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Is there a legit reason you need such a small bike given your height?
Hell no, and thats what makes it great.

My first car was an '82 Toyota Corona (not Corolla) $250 POS...I'm starting to feel like riding an XT225 on the highway would basically feel the same. You can do 65 all day, and get up to 75 if need be...but even at 65 you can't do anything. As I called it you can't "do what you want" once your on the highway. Sounds like I will be able to survive though.

I'm just looking for more of a challenge...idk why but the idea of not being able to go beyond 75 but still being able to do practically everything is appealing to me. Not to mention the whole sub $2000 thing....