User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 534
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W: Dual sport build

I have been riding a 2011 KTM 530 EXC that I obtained from a fellow inmate for the past 2 years now and have loved the bike. The bike has tons of torque and never quits pulling, which is great for lugging on the tight trails here in the northeast.

After much thought though; I've decided to go in another direction and get a 350 XCF-W and convert it into a "plate-able" bike here in New York.

I found a leftover 2014 for a VERY good price, with much thanks going to John at Canyon Motorsports in Gaines PA. Great people down there to work with.

http://www.canyonmotorsports.com/

I had to get a couple of shots of it in the stock form before I got my grubby paws on it and started to modify it.

The first thing I did was push it through the snow into the basement where the majority of this build will take place.

So far, all I've done is mount up the quick detach KTM plastic skidplate that I got when I bought my bike. I have the same skidplate on my 530 EXC and have come to love it for it's durability, light weight, and the ease of removal for cleaning after a ride.

Next will be initial break in, and some odds and ends bolt-ons.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,202
Awesome! love bike builds.

You might want to wait till it warms up a bit outside before taking it out; that orange rocket might be a bit of a handful on the ice

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

I was bored during halftime of the Wichita St. and Kansas game so I thought I would check to see what the TPS was set at coming from the factory.

I left it at .58 for now until I get a chance to ride it and see how the bike reacts to adjusting the voltage up to around .62 that others have found to be beneficial.

Next up on the mod list is to get some Handguards to replace the stock ones that came on the bike. I still haven't decided which handguards I'm going to go with yet; either the Highway Dirt bike ultimate handguards, or the Pro Moto Fastway handguards.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
robrm250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
You going to love it I have a 12 350xcf I dual sported,I have never checked TPS just stepped up idle a little bit,JD Tuner,SicAss Racing dual sport kit,Dirt Tricks cam tensioner,Rekluse,Full Yoshimura Exhaust plus KTM Hard Parts quieter slip on Silencer,KTM World Suspension,Fastway Pegs,Ricochet pipe guard,trail tech odo,lithium battery,plus probably some more.I bought it to do enduro's but been doing them on KTM 300's for so long I decided to dual sport the 350.I have only done 2 dual sports so far but it has been the most fun on 2 wheels I have had in a long time.I have the dual sport kit off right now because I am going to let my son ride it this weekend at Loretta Lynn's Fall ride or I would send you some pics.
robrm250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

The weather finally broke yesterday and it gave me a chance to get the bike out and give it a good initial heat cycle and a proper break-in.

First thing I did was let it warm up good by idling for around thirty seconds without touching the throttle. After I got some heat in the motor I varied the throttle on and off for another two minutes before taking it out on the road.

Next step was to get it out on the road and run it up and down through the gears a few times to get a feel for it. I was pleasantly surprised with the XCF-W mapping. It has plenty of snap down low, and pulls good into the mid range with no deceleration popping like others have claimed that their bikes do in the stock form. I kept the rpm's down below 7000 or close to it for this time as well.

First impression for the lil' 350 is very positive, and am loving the feel of this bike. I also found the torque to be very good, and while not as much as my 530, it still has plenty of bottom end for what I need. I also should gain some bottom end with the TPS adjustment that I'll plan on doing after I get the bike fully broke-in, and change the oil for the first time.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Look what was at home waiting for me when I got home from work tonight.

The first part I installed was an Enduro Engineering grab handle. I wanted one of these for the 530 EXC, but they won't fit so I had to go with the Tugger strap on that.

Super easy install where you just replace the 2 muffler support bolts with the ones supplied in the package and place the two spacers in between the bolts and the grab handle. Don't forget the Loctite in the blue flavor!

The fit and finish of this part was top notch which you expect from Enduro Engineering.

Looks good!

Next up is the new Fastway handguards.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #7
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,429
Nice

Have an 09 530 exc. Thinking about doing the same thing. Demoed the '14 Husky 350 at the Idaho National Hare and Hound. Really liked it but missed the Orange.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
PlowHand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
I have been riding a 2011 KTM 530 EXC that I obtained from a fellow inmate for the past 2 years now and have loved the bike. The bike has tons of torque and never quits pulling, which is great for lugging on the tight trails here in the northeast.

After much thought though; I've decided to go in another direction and get a 350 XCF-W and convert it into a "plate-able" bike here in New York.

I found a leftover 2014 for a VERY good price, with much thanks going to John at Canyon Motorsports in Gaines PA. Great people down there to work ...
Can you go into a bit more detail why you decided to do this? And why you didn't get the 350 exc, isn't it the same bike but already street legal? Is it just because of the good deal you found or is there more to it?

I'm thinking about getting a 350 exc but maybe there is a better reason to build my own like you are doing?
PlowHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowHand View Post
Can you go into a bit more detail why you decided to do this? And why you didn't get the 350 exc, isn't it the same bike but already street legal? Is it just because of the good deal you found or is there more to it?

I'm thinking about getting a 350 exc but maybe there is a better reason to build my own like you are doing?
I'll try to break down the reasons for going the route that I did;

1: Price
-I bought my bike as a leftover and got it for $1500 off msrp, and for $1000 less than I could get an EXC for.

2: Standard equipment
- I planned on running 13/52 gearing, and this is what the XCF-W comes with, so no chain and sprocket replacement needed.
- No de-smog necessary like would be needed on the EXC.
- Comes with the XCF-W mapping and not the super lean EXC map, so no re-mapping necessary.

3: New York State plate-able
- Able to register for street use in New York if purchased in a different state like Pennsylvania, where I got mine from.

FWIW, the only positive that I found on the EXC compared to the XCF-W was the slightly larger fuel tank.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
PlowHand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:

-I bought my bike as a leftover and got it for $1500 off msrp, and for $1000 less than I could get an EXC for.

- I planned on running 13/52 gearing, and this is what the XCF-W comes with, so no chain and sprocket replacement needed.
- Comes with the XCF-W mapping and not the super lean EXC map, so no re-mapping necessary.

- Able to register for street use in New York if purchased in a different state like Pennsylvania, where I got mine from.

FWIW, the only positive that I found on the EXC compared to the XCF-W was the slightly larger fuel tank.
All good points. Thanks for the insight.
PlowHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:

I though the XC-W guys were also re-mapping to EU specs?

The EXC tank is bigger than the XC-W?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 AM   #12
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I thought the XC-W guys were also re-mapping to EU specs?
Some are, and some aren't. I plan on adjusting the TPS and staying with the US XCF-W map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
The EXC tank is bigger than the XC-W?
Your right on the tanks between these two bikes being the same. I was thinking about the difference between the KTM's and the Husqy's for some reason. My bad.

mflora98ss screwed with this post 04-04-2015 at 05:03 AM
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #13
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

I got the new Fastway handguards installed last night on the bike.

I chose to go with the version 3 model which has the two separate center mounts that replace your top bar clamps.

Although the Fastway guards are very well built, they are not quite as heavy as the Highway Dirt Bike guards that I have on the 530 EXC. I was impressed on how high quality all of the hardware was, and how well machined all the parts were. Also, I don't think that I've ever put a set of handgaurds on that fit as good, or went on as easy as the Fastway's did.

I opted for the threaded bar end insert kit instead of the tension style that comes with the guards. IMHO it just makes the guards so much more strong with the threaded bar ends. I made sure to loctite everything as well to keep parts from ending up along the trail somewhere.

Overall I am very pleased with the Fastway guards, but I'll wait to rate them more until I "lay er down" for the first time to see how well they handle it.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Up next to install on the dual sport build is an Enduro Engineering clutch slave guard.

Simple bolt-on installation. Just take the old mud catcher chain cover off, and bolt on the new slave guard, and chain guide. torque the clutch slave bolts to 7.4 lb/ft.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
mflora98ss OP
Dual Sportin'

Next step on the dual sport build was to get rid of the OE chain guide, and add the Bulletproof Designs swingarm guard.

First step is to take the rear wheel off, and remove the master link from the chain so you can remove the chain guide.

Once you get the chain guide out of the way you can install the swingarm guide by first tapping the rear hole that KTM already drilled for you with the supplied tap from Bulletproof Designs. Then you can drill and tap the forward hole by first drilling a pilot hole, and then drilling using the supplied drill bit, and then tapping with the aforementioned tap supplied by Bulletproof Designs.

After I installed the swingarm guard I mounted the new chain guide from TM Designs.

You can see how much more "heft" that the TM Designs has compared to the OE guide.

Here is a picture of it all mounted up on the bike.