Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,184
300 EXCellente!

INTRODUCTION

This thread is for my newly acquired 2000 KTM 300 EXC I bought recently to cover the tighter rougher harder core single track duties that is lacking on my WR250R. The last ride I took during Hancock Quarry Run, beat me up pretty good. I was thinking of sending off the suspension on that bike, but after thinking on it I decided against it.

I had been looking around for a 2 stroke for the last year or so and dabbling with the idea, but Hancock sent me over the edge. Was looking at displacement from 150–300 and was strongly considering a YZ250 converted for woods. I was lucky to be able to sample a new KTM 200 and a 300, and really like the 300 for its 4 stroke like advantages without the engine braking and lighter weight.

Luckily, a plated 300 came up on Craigslist not too far away in CT, near the berkshires, so I asked an inmate friend to ride over and to see if it was legit.

After test riding it, my friend was like, "if you're not going to buy it, I will…" and so I did it.

I have another thread on my WRR here, and so this thread will follow the same formula, though this bike is pretty tricked out, so I won't need to add much beside changing the ergonomics.

Hopefully, I have many opportunities to ride the bike. As you know, the more bikes you have the less you ride of each. Still, these are 2 very distinct bikes and will fill very distinct roles.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Modifications
Motion Pro Fork Bleeder
Scotts Sub-Mount Steering Damper + 20mm Offset Stock OEM Triple Clamp
'06 Subframe Conversion / Bracket
Pro Cycle Dual Sport Kit + Trailtech Endurance 2 Speedometer
Flu Design KTM Team Graphics + Flu Design Gripper Seat Cover / Seat Hump
G2 Ergonomics Hand Gaurds + Tapped Handlebar Inserts
Rekluse Left Hand Rear Brake (LHRB)
Rear Tug Strap
Pirelli MT-43 18" Trials Tire
Outlaw Racing Shift Lever

Trail Ride Reports

Berkshire Triple, Berkshires, MA - 9.15 -- Film p.1

Quarry Run, Hancock, NY - 8.2–8.3 -- Film p.1 / p.2 / p.3 / Raw Footage
Berkshire Triple, Berkshires, MA - 9.14 -- Film p.1 / p.2 / Raw Footage
Reading Off Road Riders (RORR) Dualsport, Pine Grove, PA - 10.12 -- Film p.1 / p.2 / Raw Footage

Durty Dabbers, Lock Haven, PA - 6.5–6.6 -- Film p.1 / Multi-Cam Chase / Raw Footage

simonpig screwed with this post 06-24-2015 at 11:27 AM
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 2,268
That right there is...

300 kinds of badass. You will not be disappointed. Congrats man
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks. I had a two stroke dream and it came true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
300 kinds of badass. You will not be disappointed. Congrats man
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
i was just going to check your WRR thread to see if there were any updates of the 300cc variety!!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Looks more like a 2004/05 unless it's had a bodywork and subframe swap done. Have fun.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Yes, it had body work done to it. Newer subframe. The previous owner had excellent taste in dirtbike asthetics. In some weird way, I like this body style better than the 08 to present body work, minus the front fender that is.

I've never liked the looks of the KTM's headlights with the exception of the 2005 models.

I don't even mind the hockey stick exhaust and will keep it as is. It's suppose to be the quietest and best performing for this year and I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Looks more like a 2004/05 unless it's had a bodywork and subframe swap done. Have fun.

simonpig screwed with this post 09-20-2014 at 01:47 PM
Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Yep, see the older components now, was looking at a one inch pic on my phone at the time.

Neat bike, have fun with it.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,911
Nice! You're never going to want to ride your WRR in the woods again

I agree, the 2004-2007 KTMs are better looking than the next generation
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I don't know. That might be the case, but I'll see. It comes down to me not having a truck and trailer — I intend on either hitching rides with friend or renting a truck if necessary, though this gets expensive.

If I did have my own wheels, the WRR would probably see less and less use as I don't intend on going down to Patagonia anytime soon.

Still, during the late spring to early fall months, when it's still balmy and comfortable out, I like the simplicity of throwing my gear on the back and squeezing through the horrible NYC traffic out of the city for some less tight and technical offroad rides. The same goes for coming back in.

I've seen traffic at a snails pace during rush hours and the thought of having to sit in that is painful, so the WRR is nice option to avoid such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Nice! You're never going to want to ride your WRR in the woods again

I agree, the 2004-2007 KTMs are better looking than the next generation

simonpig screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 09:23 PM
Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
I don't know. That might be the case, but I'll see. It comes down to me not having a truck and trailer I intend on either hitching rides with friend or renting a truck if necessary, though this gets expensive.

If I did have my own wheels, the WRR would probably see less and less use as I don't intend on going down to Patagonia anytime soon.

Still, during the late spring to early fall months, when it's still balmy and comfortable out, I like the simplicity of throwing my gear on the back and squeezing through the horrible NYC traffic out of the city for some less tight and technical offroad rides. The same goes for coming back in.

I've seen traffic at a snails pace during rush hours and the thought of having to sit in that is painful, so the WRR is nice option to avoid such things.
All good points. I already own a truck, don't live in the city and I could ride my KTM 200 from my house to the nearest trails if I wanted to.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
simonpig OP
packin' heat

How far would you be willing to ride on your 200 to the trail? and if you had to sustain 50-65 mph on that road to be safe? I'm curious because I rode a 200 and maybe because I've alway been 4 stroke guy, I felt like the engine was going to explode going 40-50 mph on a long fast woods road. Can't imagine staying at those speeds for 10 minutes straight.

The closest offroad is 80–100 miles south in Jersey; 100 miles north in Massachusetts. 100 NW in North Jersey/NY. Basically everything is 100+ miles radius.

It's all a compromise when it comes to dualsporting, and originally why I like and still like the WRR, it does everything so well, that I question the need for a anything else.

The 300 is strictly a trailer queen. Its plated so I can connect trails, but you wont see me with on the GW bridge with my Wolfman bags going out for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
All good points. I already own a truck, don't live in the city and I could ride my KTM 200 from my house to the nearest trails if I wanted to.

simonpig screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:18 PM
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I'm looking forward to:

Tires that actually work offroad (WRR Dunlop 606 great for 5000 miles rides across the country, but anything technical and snotty, etc and its like slicks)
Lighter weight (WRR was a beast to pick up after the 10th time and the end of a days ride)
Ligher feel (Less gyroscopic effect and no engine braking - engine braking sucks on single track, it wears me out)
Torque (Power down low for chugging)
Rekluse (Because it's nice to not have to stall the bike and conserve energy, though this mean I will need to build endurance to push on and not stop as much)
Simplicity (Simple to work on, and simple technology)
Lethal fun (I love the sound, and the power delivery)

This will not be a high mileage bike and that's ok. As long as those miles action packed, I'm good.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

I'll put it this way: the trailhead is 7 miles from my house and I prefer to truck my 200 there.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,481
cj - since you are here, and since WR250R is part of the thread, just want to say, I like your spatula case guard. Easy to do, cheap, and good insurance against a bent, bendy, OEM shifter punching through the cover. Thanks!

cjbiker spatula case protector on WR250R
Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
cj - since you are here, and since WR250R is part of the thread, just want to say, I like your spatula case guard. Easy to do, cheap, and good insurance against a bent, bendy, OEM shifter punching through the cover. Thanks!
Thanks! I'm glad I could contribute to the community