Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #46
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I am currently DS'ing my wifes '95 XR200. I bought an Acerbis headlight off CL for $20, ordered some parts from BD (regulator, brake switch, handlebar switch), got a LED tail light from Ebay for $30. Bike runs good - had it up in the UP (Kinross ORV trails) on the 4th of July and had a blast.

It has a slight part throttle miss. Starts, idles, and pulls great but running along a trail at part throttle it will miss every once in a while. I've checked the timing, and cleaned the carb but with no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, trying to figure out a way to trigger the brake light with the front brake as well as the rear. I have the switch coming for the rear, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna do the front.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with this bike after the DS conversion is done!
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #47
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz6
I am currently DS'ing my wifes '95 XR200. I bought an Acerbis headlight off CL for $20, ordered some parts from BD (regulator, brake switch, handlebar switch), got a LED tail light from Ebay for $30. Bike runs good - had it up in the UP (Kinross ORV trails) on the 4th of July and had a blast.

It has a slight part throttle miss. Starts, idles, and pulls great but running along a trail at part throttle it will miss every once in a while. I've checked the timing, and cleaned the carb but with no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, trying to figure out a way to trigger the brake light with the front brake as well as the rear. I have the switch coming for the rear, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna do the front.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with this bike after the DS conversion is done!
Try SicAss
They have these
Front Brake Switch
and they are local.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #48
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
XR200's are cable actuated drums both front and rear. That is why I'm having trouble finding a solution. I have found that the older Honda CB125/175/350's all had drum fronts and I may try to use a handlebar mount from one of those.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #49
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

I should know that since my buddies is sitting in my barn.
Still, I would give them a call. I would think that any normally closed pressure switch would work. I'd be surprised if they didn't have something that would work.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #50
TomServo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Well I started another thread he recently but Murdoch pointed me over this way. I purchased an old (1980) XR200 last week to kick around on, but being who I am (I can't leave well enough alone) I've already started looking at what I want to replace, clean, modify etc. Here are some pics from Saturday of it on the lift before I started cleaning things up.

Here's some of the stuff I need to do:
  • Clean - yep, gots to get the grime off to see what's underneath for starters
  • New grips - the grips are shot
  • Replace handlebar - the current bars are pretty awful and being cheap to replace, meh, why not
  • New brake lever & perch - the current perch broke as I tried to adjust the cable
  • New clutch lever & perch - since I'll be replacing the brake lever, why not do this one too.
  • Remove Speedo - no, not the bathing suit, the gauge
  • Adjust the chain - the previous owner put on a new chain but left to little slack for the wheel travel, not good
  • Kreem the fuel tank - I've seen worse tanks but this one is pretty rusty inside
  • Install inline fuel filter - to help deal the the above rusty tank issue
  • Replace front sprocket cover -the cover was MIA when I got the bike. The JB-welded sheet metal in its place came off in my hand
  • Replace left side engine cover - the current one also has been patched with JB weld resulting in a small oil leak
  • Replace side cover over exhaust - pretty important as one could burn their leg there
  • De-rust exhaust - I hate rusty pipes
  • Re-attach heat shield - the header pipe heat shield needs some attention as it was falling off (it's now completely off)
Since these early XR200 (non R versions especially) are kinda hard to find parts for I'm having trouble finding the right side plastic that covers the muffler. I'm going to see if I can find one at the Vintage bike event this weekend at Barber but if anyone knows where to look please let me know. I've already looked on ebay and checked the usual suspects (Bike bandit, service honda, etc.)
Also I'm trying to find some replacement rear shocks that aren't a fortune. I'm not trying to motocross the thing but the only shocks I can find are Works and they are 449 for the pair. Not going to happen for a 450.00 bike :)
The shocks are 16.5 inches and this length seems to be hard to find. Any ideas on that?

Thanks for any input guys.

-Brandon

You can see the full project article with more pics by going to my site here:
http://www.nashvilleriders.com/index...t-project-bike
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #51
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 298
XR200R's, just too much fun!

This thread needed a bump anyway.

I just bought another XR200R, (1988), also have a not-so pretty($300) 1983 model. They are just too fun. Never really been a big Honda fan either, got lots of bikes from FJR, 950A, XR650R, Yzinger 80, Triumph Bonnie, CZ 250, Quads, etc. A friend of mine has 5 XR200R's.

On campfire nights, when everyone has brought out thier toys for the day, the last one to get shut off and put back in the stable is usually the little XR.

My new to me 1988, is going to get a light massage, then plated for local use. Anyone out there have a stainless steel header pipe that might be availible?
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #52
pman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Since we've resurrected this thread, I thought I would ask a question or two. I have an 86, and the POs disabled the automatic decompression which led to a kickstarter gear failure.

Question 1: I can't find a replacement plate for the decompression cable that links the cable to the bracket. I think they changed this on later versions. Any ideas on how I can replace it?

Question 2: The kickstarter is not working after I replaced the gear. It does not want to return to the top after I kick. Any ideas on what I did wrong?
2000 YZ 125 and 2007 KTM 990 Adventurer S
Member of: GLDS, NOMADS, AMA
pman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #53
TomServo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
A lot has gone on since I last posted. I will include pics as soon as I get the forks back on her. Let's look at the list...

Here's some of the stuff I need to do:
  • Clean - yep, gots to get the grime off to see what's underneath for starters - Yep pretty much clean as she'll get for a while
  • New grips - the grips are shot - Replaced grips
  • Replace handlebar - the current bars are pretty awful and being cheap to replace, meh, why not - New MSR handlebars installed
  • New brake lever & perch - the current perch broke as I tried to adjust the cable - Done
  • New clutch lever & perch - since I'll be replacing the brake lever, why not do this one too. - and done.
  • Remove Speedo - no, not the bathing suit, the gauge - have removed it but am putting it back on. New speedo cable on the way.
  • Adjust the chain - the previous owner put on a new chain but left to little slack for the wheel travel, not good - put on new chain and sprockets
  • Kreem the fuel tank - I've seen worse tanks but this one is pretty rusty inside - still not done
  • Install inline fuel filter - to help deal the the above rusty tank issue - installed
  • Replace front sprocket cover -the cover was MIA when I got the bike. The JB-welded sheet metal in its place came off in my hand - leaving as is.
  • Replace left side engine cover - the current one also has been patched with JB weld resulting in a small oil leak - new cover and gasket installed
  • Replace side cover over exhaust - pretty important as one could burn their leg there - replaced with a plastic side number plate picked up at a vintage bike show. doesn't match but works fine.
  • De-rust exhaust - I hate rusty pipes - sanded and painted header pipe with pj-1
  • Re-attach heat shield - the header pipe heat shield needs some attention as it was falling off (it's now completely off) - re-attached with pipe wrap.
In addition to the above the following has been done:
  • Cleaned and adjusted carb
  • Wired in new kill switch (old one didn't work at all)
  • Cleaned and adjusted front and rear brakes
  • Replaced rear wheel bearings
  • Removed forks and rebuilding (waiting on new seals right now)
  • New rear tire
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #54
Kiwi-Roscoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hi Jason, Ive got a 1979 XR185 which I have made Road Legal and a 1980 XR200, I have fully rebuilt both these bikes and re your Kick starter problem, it sounds like the return spring hasnt been located correctly.

The part you need for the Decomp cable is still available in this country if its the same as your model, Ive got a complete parts listing for the twin shock models but im not exactly sure which part you are after.
I can scan the page and post it but I need to work out how to get pics on here, I havnt done that yet.
I know these early XR and XL models pretty well so any problems you have, I can try and help you out.

Cheers
Roscoe
Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #55
theseekeroftru7h
N00bventurer

Oddometer: 89
I've been an XR200R owner for a long while now, though it's been sitting in storage mostly due to lack of time and energy to break it out. My KTM's in the shop for the moment and we broke it out to teach the roomies. It's an '84 or '85 (depending on if you believe the reg or my dad), it sounds like it needs the carbs cleaned (only runs choked, dies out if you decide to unchoke it), and it probably needs a new sprocket as it winds up loads in 1st. Regardless, it's the bike I grew up on, so I'm slowly starting the process of refurbishing it back up to spec. Should be a fun challenge. Might be able to drum up pics when I get home later today.
__
2004 KTM Adventure 950
/ 1984 Honda XR200R
My Ride Reports
My Photos
theseekeroftru7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #56
theseekeroftru7h
N00bventurer

Oddometer: 89
My beat up ole bike...
__
2004 KTM Adventure 950
/ 1984 Honda XR200R
My Ride Reports
My Photos
theseekeroftru7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #57
kyhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I just bought a 2001 xr200 from a pawn shop near by. I'm going to pick it up in a few hours and I'll post some pics when I get back. The last dirt bike I had was a KTM 450exc 2yrs ago, it was a great bike but times change and I do less chasing my motocross wannabe buddys and more chasing my 4yr old son on his TTR 50 so I think the little xr will be just fine.
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #58
randylahee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
heres my old bike

81 xr200r

put in a china motor

Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #59
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylahee View Post
heres my old bike

81 xr200r
put in a china motor
How about a few details.
Cost for the motor if you don't mind?
Any fitment issues?
How's it work?
Pluses/minuses?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #60
kyhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Well here she is! Got it home, came to life first kick and runs like a champ! The rear spokes are loose but other then that everything seems great! Not to bad for $750 I don't think.
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote