ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
kailuasurfer OP
Dreamer
 
kailuasurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 375
Lap apron/lap robe in the U.S.?

Are there manufacturers and/or retailers in the U.S. making/selling motorcycle lap aprons or lap robes? I am hoping to enhance my winter sidecar riding experience -- it's just too cold this year. I have seen cops using them but have not been able to find one near me. European sources are okay too...

Thanks.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: GoodLiver,Oregon,USA
Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuasurfer View Post
Are there manufacturers and/or retailers in the U.S. making/selling motorcycle lap aprons or lap robes? I am hoping to enhance my winter sidecar riding experience -- it's just too cold this year. I have seen cops using them but have not been able to find one near me. European sources are okay too...

Thanks.
Langlitz Leathers, Portland, Oregon
__________________
" I need to stop talking and start drinking" ...Mom
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Westside WA
Oddometer: 2,204
On the Soviet Steeds forum there is a guy selling lap robes (I think he's in the states?) His login is "hdflame"
There are also 12v electric blankets avail in various sizes. Later Urals have a 12v receptacle in the car so is easy. Otherwise you'll have to wire up your own.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
matman1972
Lost in the woods.
 
matman1972's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 711
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=13&t=13621
__________________
Matt
2005 vw trike
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
firebrick
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 920
I have one from hdflame, its awesome. -14 F and My lower body was still warm.
firebrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
kailuasurfer OP
Dreamer
 
kailuasurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 375
Looks like hdflame makes ural-specific (or BMW boxer-type) apron. Know of others?

Anyone with experience with one of these? http://www.bagster.com/en/showroom.php?id=106. Do they sell in the U.S.?
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
kailuasurfer OP
Dreamer
 
kailuasurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 375
Found this one as well: http://www.potomaccanvas.com/police.html

Unfortunately, they sell only to police...
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated
 
MightyChosen1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Central,IL
Oddometer: 1,341




About 10 bucks, comes in a multitude of colors to match your hack.


Seriously, I use an old military surplus wool blanket to keep the kids warm in cold weather. At first they refused to use it but after a few miles in 45 degree weather I noticed they had it pulled up to the bottom of their helmets.

I wonder if there is anything you could heat up and place in the front of the car? I have heard in the old days they used to heat up rocks and place them under the seats of Ford Model T's to keep warm.
__________________
Formally known as Furious D, I'm getting to old to be furious.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
kailuasurfer OP
Dreamer
 
kailuasurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 375


Lap warmth for the pilot, not passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D View Post




About 10 bucks, comes in a multitude of colors to match your hack.


Seriously, I use an old military surplus wool blanket to keep the kids warm in cold weather. At first they refused to use it but after a few miles in 45 degree weather I noticed they had it pulled up to the bottom of their helmets.

I wonder if there is anything you could heat up and place in the front of the car? I have heard in the old days they used to heat up rocks and place them under the seats of Ford Model T's to keep warm.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
kailuasurfer OP
Dreamer
 
kailuasurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 375
Lap cover

As I age, I am getting less tolerant of wet and cold riding. Here's my lap cover. PVC construction with fleece lining. It works perfectly! Europeans do know something about riding year-round.

It attached very easily. When parked in rain/snow, cover extends as a waterproof cover for the seat.

I was worried about it flapping around in high speeds and interfering with shifting or braking - no problems at all.



Here's a picture that shows the fleece lining:

kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Old Mule's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Chihuahuan Desert in Texas
Oddometer: 429
langlitz

The Langlitz police apron is a very high quality item that will out last several motorcycles, worth the high price.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
KansasKawboy
KK
 
KansasKawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Outside Kansas City
Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuasurfer View Post
As I age, I am getting less tolerant of wet and cold riding. Here's my lap cover. PVC construction with fleece lining. It works perfectly! Europeans do know something about riding year-round.

It attached very easily. When parked in rain/snow, cover extends as a waterproof cover for the seat.

I was worried about it flapping around in high speeds and interfering with shifting or braking - no problems at all.



Here's a picture that shows the fleece lining:

Which one did you get?
__________________
Language created the word loneliness to express the pain of being alone,
and the word solitude to express the glory of it.
Raymond
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
chairhead
HAIRY
 
chairhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: CARDIFF,SOUTH WALES
Oddometer: 403
I use these just like kailuasurfer , great in the rain and snow, keeps dirt/road crud off,i also use the Handlebar muffs without gloves in winter

http://tucanourbano.co.uk/gaucho-bik...1200gs-r120-n/
__________________
"MY TIME" IS MY FAVORITE TIME

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G




chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
cluedog
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 62
I just got one for my 1200GSA from Bagster

http://www.bagster.com/en/showroom.php?id=106

It seems to be well made, easy to attach to the bike, and it keeps my legs warm and dry. I like it. Riding all year in the northwest is one of the great things about a hack.
cluedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
KansasKawboy
KK
 
KansasKawboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Outside Kansas City
Oddometer: 897
I'm betting know one makes one for a KLR.
__________________
Language created the word loneliness to express the pain of being alone,
and the word solitude to express the glory of it.
Raymond
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015