Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
HighScore OP
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 918
Puke Pelican Side Cases: I just gotta say something.

Not sure if this is the right forum or not.
Feel free to move.

I don't want to come off sounding mean, because I say this with the utmost of sincerity to my fellow riders.
But WTF is up with the pelican cases being used as side mounted panniers?

They have very little storage space compared to other systems, and when you open them up while still on the bike the contents spill out. They are made of plastic, so if they are too close to an exhaust pipe they melt. No to mention they look "out of place".

Please don't flame me, I just have a buddy who claims they are the best thing ever. (And at the same time he is saying that, he is picking up the spilled contents of his pelican cases from the ground). I don't see what is so great about them, considering that there are a LOT better functioning products out there to choose from.
HighScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,502
Your buddy is right and you are ignorant.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
+1
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
I have trouble understanding them too.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
It's just a personal preference whether you like side-loaders or top-loaders. And whether you like plastic or metal. No right/wrong answer, each has its merits.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,764
"Look out of place?" What damned difference does it make how they look? Not flaming here, just asking. Form over funtion has always confused me. I love my Pelicans, and it took me all of 20 minutes to fab up some lanyards to keep the lids from opening past 90 degrees, so that takes care of the spillage issue. They're tougher than aluminum boxes, and they don't turn your stuff black with aluminum oxide. They hold as much stuff as I ever want to carry on a D/S bike, and come in wide range of colors to suit even the pickiest (present company excluded, apparently) riders.

The price is right, too, as I'm into my whole Pelican setup for about $400, and that includes the rack.

What is available that functions better, BTW? I did some long and hard research before deciding on these bags, and part of that was buying and modifying a set of Mermite cans, which I ran for an entire year. Hated the things.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
They have very little storage space compared to other systems, and when you open them up while still on the bike the contents spill out.

My entire camping setup fits in one Pelican with room to spare. I've since switched to a smaller tent and gave up on the crappy camp pillow, so I have even more space. And look! None of it's falling out.

On the other side are my clothes and a gallon of water. This picture was taken a while back. I've since got a custom liner bag for my clothes which leaves exactly enough room for the water jug.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #8
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Lifetime Warranty!!!

You break a Pelican (not likely) They replace them. FREE Lifetime warranty. Enough said.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
I don't want to come off sounding mean, because I say this with the utmost of sincerity to my fellow riders.
But WTF is up with the BMW system luggage being used as side mounted panniers?

They have very little storage space compared to other systems, and when you open them up while still on the bike the contents spill out. They are made of plastic, so if they are too close to an exhaust pipe they melt. No to mention they look "out of place".

Please don't flame me, I just have a buddy who claims they are the best thing ever. (And at the same time he is saying that, he is picking up the spilled contents of his BMW System cases from the ground). I don't see what is so great about them, considering that there are a LOT better functioning products out there to choose from.
I used to work for an oil service company. We frequently needed to ship delicate and very expensive electronics by boat/chopper/truck, etc. and store those things on an oil rig. I have seen every conceivable type of box and container used for this purpose, and I have seen every single type burst open, cracked, leaking, or destroyed - but the Pelican cases held up ten times better than any other. They are (very) tough, and completely waterproof.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
bobbagum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Pelican cases are virtually indestructible, most metal and plastic pannier will either bent or break on impact, Pelican cases will happily slides along with your bike should you drop it. If you put it on a tourer it would look out of place, but on a Dual-Sport, it completes the look as well as any ADV case.

The only problem is that in order to mount them holes have to be drilled, they can lose water/pressure tightness if the seal around the bolt/nuts are not done right, or even worse if the mounting is inadequate, it could introduce weakness/strain not expected and rip the case off the mounting in a crash.
bobbagum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,995
If things are spilling out you're doing it wrong. If you just like to shove loose items unorganized into a box then you need top loaders.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
HighScore OP
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Don't get me wrong, I just think that instead of just bolting on a set of samsonites onto a motorcycle perhaps the people at Pelican could make one better suited to motorcycle use.
Perhaps one that is more cubic in shape without a taper toward the bottom, with a top loading lid instead. Also with built in/moulded mounts on the box instead of having to drill holes into the boxes for mounts.
These things come with a lifetime guarantee, however what do they say about drilling holes into the box? Will they still be covered if tampered with?
HighScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I got tired of stuff falling out of my BMW System Cases and used some spare whiteboard in the basement to make some panels that keep crap from falling out. Problem solved. Same concept would work for Pelicans too.

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,502
They come in Top loading too

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=Caribou

Plus this guys mounting system and locks are TOP SHELF STUFF.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
I think there are spiffy looking. Not like the aluminum ones people have that are butt ugly and look like you are an old fashioned telephone guy coming to hook up the rotary phones........

Caribou makes a mod to pelicans that has lanyards to hold it open less than 90 degrees for a very small premium over the pelicans alone btw............
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote